Punching

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ought to try it. It's just like WTF. But without hogu. And with punches.

And not full contact.

If you say so. My earliest training was ITF, and despite the supposition that sparring was not full contact, I can say categorically that it wasn't exactly light contact either. Much like my currrent (Moo Duk Kwan) school, contact levels (for advanced and adult students) was left up to the fighters.
That was, admittedly, quite a while before you were born, so it's certainly possible that things have changed. But I am pretty sure (perhaps Master Weiss will correct me if I'm wrong) that ITF sparring is still not tappy tappy.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you say so. My earliest training was ITF, and despite the supposition that sparring was not full contact, I can say categorically that it wasn't exactly light contact either. Much like my currrent (Moo Duk Kwan) school, contact levels (for advanced and adult students) was left up to the fighters.
That was, admittedly, quite a while before you were born, so it's certainly possible that things have changed. But I am pretty sure (perhaps Master Weiss will correct me if I'm wrong) that ITF sparring is still not tappy tappy.

My most recent interaction with ITF TKD was a couple of years ago when I was involved with a school for about 4 months. It wasn't a great experience, but in that time I did extensively research the sparring situation.

As it sounds like you know, on paper at least, ITF TKD is definitely NOT full contact. It is officially described as "semi-contact." The question then is what does that mean.

For colored belts, it basically means light contact. The contact level that is allowed can vary depending on the officials, but I remember a few colored belt students talking about tournaments in which they were either disqualified or warned harshly about hitting too hard.

For the dan ranks, it depends on the tournament. My instructor at the time told a story of a fellow instructor who was disqualified from a tournament because, despite the fact that he pulled off a very nice jump spinning kick that landed perfectly, he was disqualified because he put too much power into it. On the other hand, I have heard of tournaments at the dan ranks that are basically full contact. But even then, at least according to the rulebook, knockout is NOT a way to win.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have, but I could be confusing you with someone else. I don't know that you've explicitly stated your age, but my (admittedly fuzzy) recollection includes mention of children, with the impression that they're fairly young, and my impression is that you're in your 30's. Is that reasonably accurate?
So, simply put: my first lesson was in 1968. My last involvement with the ITF would have been in 1984 or 1985, well before the General passed away and the ITF splintered.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

The level of contact will vary greatly with the school and competition level. At a small community school it may be relatively light as well as at a small local tournament. National competitions will be heavier and International competitions seems often just sort of Full contact, whatever that means.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have, but I could be confusing you with someone else. I don't know that you've explicitly stated your age, but my (admittedly fuzzy) recollection includes mention of children, with the impression that they're fairly young, and my impression is that you're in your 30's. Is that reasonably accurate?
So, simply put: my first lesson was in 1968. My last involvement with the ITF would have been in 1984 or 1985, well before the General passed away and the ITF splintered.

Well you're half-way accurate. I am in my very early 30s. No kids, though. And there probably won't be any any time soon. Not ready for all of that.

I'm surprised to see that you're in your 50s. Based upon your breaking video that you posted I'd have put you at about 45. So hey, at least you age well!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you're half-way accurate. I am in my very early 30s. No kids, though. And there probably won't be any any time soon. Not ready for all of that.

When I'm relying strictly on memory and impressions garnered from reading posts here, I'll be happy with half-way. :)

I'm surprised to see that you're in your 50s. Based upon your breaking video that you posted I'd have put you at about 45. So hey, at least you age well!

I eat a lot of preservatives.... :rofl:

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started with an ITF school and also did Tang Soo Do as well in the past. When I competed while practicing ITF (In my teens) It was medium contact with feather touch to the head. I got DQ'd once for doing a back kick to hard. The one thing that I do miss is doing back fist and ridge hands to the head. But the competitions are not full contact, and that was over 25 years and more ago. Now I have seen some International competitions and they seemed to be full contact as I have seen KO's. But in the US with kids I would pretty much bet on it being light to medium contact with touch to the head and face. Good luck to Kym and Charlie I am sure they will do well.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started with an ITF school and also did Tang Soo Do as well in the past. When I competed while practicing ITF (In my teens) It was medium contact with feather touch to the head. I got DQ'd once for doing a back kick to hard. The one thing that I do miss is doing back fist and ridge hands to the head. But the competitions are not full contact, and that was over 25 years and more ago. Now I have seen some International competitions and they seemed to be full contact as I have seen KO's. But in the US with kids I would pretty much bet on it being light to medium contact with touch to the head and face. Good luck to Kym and Charlie I am sure they will do well.

Just some sparing always looking for sparing partners they are scarce for us in Las Vegas...hopefully they have some people who like to fight!

Latest Discussions