Punching the back of the neck is acceptable detainment techniques for LEO's?

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
youknow, maybe if the police beat the crap out of more people, and arrested less people, jails wouldnt be so overcrowed and people wouldnt be willing to be such asshats in public....

That's probably true. It in now way justifies police brutality in general, or the specific actions of these law enforcement officers here, but you are probably right.

Also if the cops summarily executed more speeders there'd be shorter lines at traffic court and everyone would obey the speed limit.

-Rob

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's probably true. It in now way justifies police brutality in general, or the specific actions of these law enforcement officers here, but you are probably right.

Also if the cops summarily executed more speeders there'd be shorter lines at traffic court and everyone would obey the speed limit.

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his *** when he hopped.

But seriously, we can take it all the way back. A few more parents applying the belt with a bit more vigor might fix all these problems. Just a thought.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his *** when he hopped.

But seriously, we can take it all the way back. A few more parents applying the belt with a bit more vigor might fix all these problems. Just a thought.

I completely agree. My parents raised me to comport myself with decorum. Guess what, I've only rarely had encounters with the police, and they have always been in relation to traffic violations. That's not because I fear the state. It's because I mind my business and don't prey upon my fellow citizens.

-Rob

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, one of the good ones :tup:.

I have a couple of friends who fell into that camp naturally and who did not require anything more than verbal correction of misbehaviour.

I was not one of those. I've talked about it before in threads on corporal punishment and child discipline so I won't drone on about it again. The precis is that, without the hefty doses of properly applied and lovingly explained 'good hidings' I had in my youth, I would quite probably be posting this from a prision cell.

However, let's not distract ourselves from the point in question viz the inappropriate use of force by those there, supposedly, to uphold the law.

If what is in that video is okay by you chaps in the Land of the Free, then that is that. It's not what is acceptable over here - not for such trivial offences as 'drunk and not all that disorderly' at any rate.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
word

I completely agree. My parents raised me to comport myself with decorum. Guess what, I've only rarely had encounters with the police, and they have always been in relation to traffic violations. That's not because I fear the state. It's because I mind my business and don't prey upon my fellow citizens.

-Rob

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a belt? my mother didnt limit herself to a belt, she used whatever was handy, switches, a hairbrush, wooden spoons, and on one memorable occasion, a 3 foot long piece of garden hose.

When i was 17 and managed to catch her hand as she went to slap me, she promptly kicked me in the junk

and I deserved every single one of the whippins I got too. In fact, i had more comming to me for stuff she never found out about...

maybe YOU didnt need a belt applied to your ***.

I did

many kids do.

this looking down at parents that dont spank thier kids is insulting, arrogant nonsense.

you wanna hate someone hate the parents that REFUSE to spank thier kids when those kids clearly need a good beatin.....

Amazing, my parents achieved the same.....without the use of a belt.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If what is in that video is okay by you chaps in the Land of the Free, then that is that. It's not what is acceptable over here - not for such trivial offences as 'drunk and not all that disorderly' at any rate.

Oh I don't want to mislead you.

It should come as no surprise that I think their behavior was a gross misapplication of force and an abuse of power. All the arguments about how he was asked to leave, and he was resisting the cuffs, and the strikes weren't that bad, and the officers had to resort to overwhelming force in order to subdue the man ASAP, just don't wash with me. The guy was half their size, he could barely stand up even before the assault, and they had him outnumbered and overpowered. My own opinions on state law enforcement aside, they could have held him down, forced the cuffs on, and moved on. I think there are many martial artists on this board who have done much the same to highly trained, sober, training partners in class one on one, much less four on one. Even if he was wanted for rape and murder their actions wouldn't have been warranted. If he was being accosted for being drunk and annoying, it's even more unjust.

I expect many of the LEOs here to disagree. But I think the officer doing the striking should be arrested and charged with aggravated assault, and the other officers should be put on disciplinary leave for failing to stop a violent crime that they were witnesses to. At the very least.

-Rob

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, you are right, i think you are not only wrong, but grossly misinformed about what the average cop can and cannot do.

martial arts take YEARS to learn to do that

cop boot camp is usually 6 months or LESS, and most of that is class room, not hands on.

PLUS, cops have to worry about some idjit grabbing thier gun and shooting THEM.

but i figured you prob think cops shouldnt have the right to touch anyone.....

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh, and BTW

attitudes like yours are why people back talk the cops these days.

what is so hard about the concept of 'dont monkey around with the big dudes with the badges and guns or something bad will happen to you" so friggin hard for people to grasp?

NO ONE has the 'right" to break the law, when you break the rules, something bad OUGHT to happen to you

I expect many of the LEOs here to disagree. But I think the officer doing the striking should be arrested and charged with aggravated assault, and the other officers should be put on disciplinary leave for failing to stop a violent crime that they were witnesses to. At the very least.

-Rob

Reactions: MJS

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the punches were nada.

but the knee should be dropped from the repertoire.

it was'nt all that hard, but that is a lot of mass coming down. my style specializes in that type of blow and you can easily cause some serious damage, for obvious reasons.

the saving grace was that the guy was likely drunk and the ground was soft. people are pretty rubbery to begin with, and the drunken style usually gives you some 'seong'. so there was quite a bit of give.

like i said, i dont think that particular knee was too hard, but it is not easy to gauge the force with a gross motor movement like that.

the stun punches might be civil restraint, but the knee drop is a combat technique.

as a rule, i consider fighting with the cops to be a class A betarded move, and you deserve what you get. otoh, it would be shame for some drunk and disorderly to get a permanent injury from a skirmish with police.

i remember some years back, here in wny, two cops slapped a truncheon choke on a guy and busted his hyoid, and the swelling suffocated him.

a knee, like a stick, is a force multiplier, compared to the hand strike. and they both are difficult to meter as well.

regards.

ktk

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
oh, and BTW

what is so hard about the concept of 'dont monkey around with the big dudes with the badges and guns or something bad will happen to you" so friggin hard for people to grasp?

NO ONE has the 'right" to break the law, when you break the rules, something bad OUGHT to happen to you

If you've been paying attention TF, you'd realize that this is exactly what I believe the foundation of our system of government is. I don't think it's hard to grasp at all.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the punches were nada.

but the knee should be dropped from the repertoire.

it was'nt all that hard, but that is a lot of mass coming down. my style specializes in that type of blow and you can easily cause some serious damage, for obvious reasons.

the saving grace was that the guy was likely drunk and the ground was soft. people are pretty rubbery to begin with, and the drunken style usually gives you some 'seong'. so there was quite a bit of give.

like i said, i dont think that particular knee was too hard, but it is not easy to gauge the force with a gross motor movement like that.

the stun punches might be civil restraint, but the knee drop is a combat technique.

as a rule, i consider fighting with the cops to be a class A betarded move, and you deserve what you get. otoh, it would be shame for some drunk and disorderly to get a permanent injury from a skirmish with police.

i remember some years back, here in wny, two cops slapped a truncheon choke on a guy and busted his hyoid, and the swelling suffocated him.

a knee, like a stick, is a force multiplier, compared to the hand strike. and they both are difficult to meter as well.

regards.

ktk

People keep poo-pooing the punches, but punches to the neck can cause unconsiousness, hemmoraging in the brain, and death. And they don't have to be very hard, they just have to hit the right place. This story would have been reported very differently if what we saw in that video ended up with the drunk dying as the result of those strikes, which could easily have happened.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
oh, and BTW

A. You're just wrong. I don't talk back to the cops. The cops have guns, and I'm not stupid. I might object to them violating my individual liberties, but I'm not dumb enough to do that while they have a gun pointed at me. When they say get on the ground, I'd get on the ground.

B. What gives law enforcement officers some special right not to be talked back too? Regardless of your opinion of what has happened in this video, it is clear that some law enforcement officers sometimes violate the law and the rights of citizens. Just having a badge doesn't make them super-citizens, or infallible.

You said it yourself. No one has the right to break the law. And when you break the rules, something bad ought to happen to you. That includes police.

-Rob

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, you make a fair point in that atleast you know better than to be stupid towards cops. Good for you

and as i see it, if we give them the right to SHOOT YOU IN THE FACE, slapping someone around isnt gonna get my panties in a knot.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When did we give anyone the right to shoot anyone in the face?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am aware of that. Civilians do as well, under certain circumstances.

I wasn't aware that those circumstances might include when one is face down on the ground and unarmed though.

No one has a right to use deadly force unless their life is threatened...a sad fact that too many people forget. Kids on the lawn, being spit on, being insulted, being pissed on, doesn't justify death.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
police have the right to use deadly force, under certain circumstances in america bob........

So do citizens. Police are not super-citizens.

Maybe if people refused to allow bullies with badges to abuse their rights and their fellow citizens, and used armed action to prevent it, we'd see fewer instances of police brutality.

The people should not fear their government, the government should fear its people.

-Rob

Latest Discussions