Punch followed by palm.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you ever get taught this technique where you do a punch followed by a palm strike with the same hand in the same spot . So the punch goes out and then with out retracting it at all it changes into a palm strike ,

I got the impression it would be used more against the chest than the head and for when you might need a little extra firepower to cause damage in very close range .

I practice it on the wall bag and the heavybag , and its like the punch accelerates and then it collapses into the palm strike and it accelerates even more .

Sort of like getting two strikes for the price of one if you will . Do any of you WC/WT brethren .... and sisters (apologies to Si-Je) train this strike at all , or do you think nah why bother I''ll just follow up with the other hand .

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get taught this technique where you do a punch followed by a palm strike with the same hand in the same spot . So the punch goes out and then with out retracting it at all it changes into a palm strike ,

I got the impression it would be used more against the chest than the head and for when you might need a little extra firepower to cause damage in very close range .

I practice it on the wall bag and the heavybag , and its like the punch accelerates and then it collapses into the palm strike and it accelerates even more .

Sort of like getting two strikes for the price of one if you will . Do any of you WC/WT brethren .... and sisters (apologies to Si-Je) train this strike at all , or do you think nah why bother I''ll just follow up with the other hand .

Works very well when one hand is grabbed or busy grabbing. Also whenever I palm to the face I like to follow with an eye rake,

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Sort of like getting two strikes for the price of one if you will . Do any of you WC/WT brethren .... and sisters (apologies to Si-Je) train this strike at all , or do you think nah why bother I''ll just follow up with the other hand

No I personaly haven't been thought that. Infact we did very little with palms in application which is a shame. But this techniqe reminds me of a similar techniqe in Biu tze. At least in principal. At the very end of the form we do a Biu strike to the left with the right hand(the fingers being "cocked" to the right and palm horizontal) and then while cocking the hand so finger point to the left your return to the center and Ygkym. Explaining what I just said(hope it makes some sense): you do a biu strike at the guy, but the guy dodges/bobs/weawes the strike so instead of punching with the other hand or cocking your extended hand you strike the guy with the same extended hand with a "knife hand". That being one aspect of this part of the form which is also kind of ilustrated in the begining where you do a biu pointin left/right up/down before heun. The point is that you take care of a big motion with a small one. You can also look at the movement not as a strike but as a deflection if you want. As I said many aspects of it. Kind of the same, right? If you close one eye or something :D

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught this by my old sifu.

I am practising it sitting on the sofa now ;-)

Not sure what the application was but I must have repeated this many times as when I read your post, I instantly knew how to do it.

Glycerine0160

Orange Belt
Reaction score
question on this technique.

so you are saying you fire off your punch, and w/o retracting (because wing chun doesn't waste movement) after your punch you turn your hand into a palm heel to their face? Almost like bruce lee's one inch punch, at least the ideology?

If so, I like it. (if it does in fact pick up momentum from the prior punch like as aforementioned)

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
question on this technique.

so you are saying you fire off your punch, and w/o retracting (because wing chun doesn't waste movement) after your punch you turn your hand into a palm heel to their face? Almost like bruce lee's one inch punch, at least the ideology?

If so, I like it. (if it does in fact pick up momentum from the prior punch like as aforementioned)

Yep, thats how I was taught it.

I was thinking maybe if the punch gets blocked/deflected etc...anything can happen when fighting/sparring...then the recovery is a palm for the last few inches. Or use it as a decoy?? Just thinking aloud.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Works very well when one hand is grabbed or busy grabbing. Also whenever I palm to the face I like to follow with an eye rake,
Almost like getting 3 for the price of 1. :)
What drill do you use for the issue of power in close? We have a kata called Sanchin, which when practiced over a long period of time, and understood will allow this, in my system.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, Interesting. I actually was taught something similiar. But we don't use just palms. This sunday when I light sparring at Tai Chi class. Doing some Chi Sau an what not. I jabbed my partner in chest with Fingers strike and then with out drawing back punch his chest with a fist.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, Interesting. I actually was taught something similiar. But we don't use just palms. This sunday when I light sparring at Tai Chi class. Doing some Chi Sau an what not. I jabbed my partner in chest with Fingers strike and then with out drawing back punch his chest with a fist.

Oh I forgot this these drills...Terms are just to give you familiarity...Not actual translations.

Main Drill Practice on Punching bag!
Bil Gee (Vertical Finger Strike)
Ginger fist(Leopard paw)
Sun Kuen (Vertical Punch)
Fook Kuen (Back hand)
Pai Jong (Inward Horizontal Elbow)

Main Drill Practrice in Bucket of Rice!
Bil Gee (Vertical Finger Strike)
Ginger fist(Leopard paw)
Sun Kuen (Vertical Punch)
Fook Kuen (Back hand)

My Sifu instructed me to practice Triple Hits. Like for instance one routine is this:

During Chi Sau when you make contact with your partner. Try to Bil Gee his chest,then punch then back hand strike(Similiar to crane.) So it goes Fingers-fist-back hand. Also there is the four hits from four parts of the hand via arm.

Second practice. I don't do to much in chi sau but on punching bags and trees. I do something similiar. Punch-fok sau-inward horizontal elbow. Also you could do this in the air too. Bil Gee-Punch-Fok-Elbow...Four hit combo on one hand. The more you practice the more power you will have.

Third you can also switch of hands from different palms strikes,fist,blade hands,finger jabs and back hands or back fist to see what you can work with. Get a couple of routines that feel really natural to you already an drill them one hundred times or so a day.

Fourth I been working on striking with multiple inch kicks with different parts of the foot. I recently just started this. So its not as powerful and the regular chain kicks when alternate the ranges. But its coming. I will do more tree kicking work to get use to the resistance.

But some Inch kick routines I work in the air are:

1.Heel Kick-Toe Kick-Blade kick(Toes covered with shoes)
2.Heel Kick-Ball kick-Blade kick
3.Heel kick-Blade kick-toe kick
4.Blade kick-Ball Kick-Blade kick-Toe kick

There are more but I will stop for now.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost like getting 3 for the price of 1. :)
What drill do you use for the issue of power in close? We have a kata called Sanchin, which when practiced over a long period of time, and understood will allow this, in my system.

My Sifu told me that each time you practice your Sil Lim Tao form you are in fact training your one inch punch . But outside of practicing forms , these are some things we used to do .
  • Get in stance , start off with your fist approx one fist distance from your chest . Partner places his hand on your vertical fist and leans his whole body onto it as you slowly thrust your fist out , concentrating on your elbow force and trying to remain relaxed. Imagine you are just doing the form and there is no resistance there .
  • Other methods mainly involve just being in close and practicing striking . Your partner can hold a focus mitt on his chest , start off in your optimum angle with fingertips touching and strike from there , then start of 1 inch from the pad with a relaxed half formed fist and strike from there
  • Then work back from there until your body is only one or two fists distance from the target , then maybe you might work on chaining the strikes together , say for example 3 fast chainpunches with your elbows in front of your body at approx two or three fists distance from the target .
  • With all the striking make sure your shoulders are down and relaxed , concentrate on just exploding your strikes forward , driven by your elbows.
  • Think of firming your wrist on contact , not of tensing the wrist on contact , this allows for a more penetrative type of force . After impact relax the hand and arm .
  • Train short range palm strikes as well.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone practice short range push ups?

My Sifu told me that each time you practice your Sil Lim Tao form you are in fact training your one inch punch . But outside of practicing forms , these are some things we used to do .
  • Get in stance , start off with your fist approx one fist distance from your chest . Partner places his hand on your vertical fist and leans his whole body onto it as you slowly thrust your fist out , concentrating on your elbow force and trying to remain relaxed. Imagine you are just doing the form and there is no resistance there .
  • Other methods mainly involve just being in close and practicing striking . Your partner can hold a focus mitt on his chest , start off in your optimum angle with fingertips touching and strike from there , then start of 1 inch from the pad with a relaxed half formed fist and strike from there
  • Then work back from there until your body is only one or two fists distance from the target , then maybe you might work on chaining the strikes together , say for example 3 fast chainpunches with your elbows in front of your body at approx two or three fists distance from the target .
  • With all the striking make sure your shoulders are down and relaxed , concentrate on just exploding your strikes forward , driven by your elbows.
  • Think of firming your wrist on contact , not of tensing the wrist on contact , this allows for a more penetrative type of force . After impact relax the hand and arm .
  • Train short range palm strikes as well.