Pumpkins fear us!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, instead of regular class....our training group held our 4th annual BUjinkan Pumpkin Massacree.

Apparently, our instructor picked this up from a guy he trained with in Texas. We bring all our old pumpkins left over from Halloween and then practice cutting them into little bits with a live blade. (We're lucky in that our instructors neighbor carved 110 pumpkins this year and let us take what we wanted :)

This was the first time I've gotten to participate in this bit of fun....and the first time I've gotten to do more than just look at a live blade. It was fun and wildly educational. It's amazing how, with the right body mechanics (don;t jsu tmusle the sword with your arm) how easily they cut. The goal was to take as thin a slice as possible off the target....make as many little pieces as you could.

Anyway, wanted to share how cool this was. Can't wait for next year.

Peace,
Erik

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have some photos I took. Will upload them when I get back from work tonight :)

Peace,
Erik

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi bluekey.
We do the pumpkin cutting every year here in Houston with the Bellaire Dojo . Who is your instructor? I have been involved with the Bellaire Dojo for many years and was wondering if he trained with us.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor is Kurt Haines. He used to train out in Texas, that's where he said he picked this up. :)

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well tell Kurt that Robert & Threz said HI. He is a real good guy and you are lucky to be training with him.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will do. I'm grateful to have found such a good instructor in my area. Hooking up with his training group is in my top 3 MA training finds. :)

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
This sounds like a lot of fun! I may just go pumpkin searching myself to try this out! :D

Latest Discussions