could it be ....????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My interpretation of TKD is the way of the foot and hand, for that reason I like to practice and use both inclusive in kyorugi depending upon the range, if the range is mid to long the foot is right if the range is close then the hand techs, I love to use albows,knees,take downs, sweeps,pins, etc if I can in self defense scenarios.

So.... if WTF/tkd is only kicking... my TKD then it could be like TSD? or some kind of Korean martial art japanese oriented?

Why I ask this? because we have been talking about the roots of TKD latelly and as long as we know the masters that integrated the KTA, ITF, KUKIWON and WTF were in the begining people who stidied chinese and japanese martial arts.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't what you should call your own personal expression of TKD, Manny, but I've picked in reading this forum that KKW taekwondoin believe you should be able to kick effectively even within punching and elbowing range.

Good or bad, I cannot say. It's up to the individual to find their own comfort zone.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My interpretation of TKD is the way of the foot and hand, for that reason I like to practice and use both inclusive in kyorugi depending upon the range, if the range is mid to long the foot is right if the range is close then the hand techs, I love to use albows,knees,take downs, sweeps,pins, etc if I can in self defense scenarios.
Just for technicality's sake, the hanja actually translate more to the effect of 'Way of trampling with the foot and striking with the fist.' Tae and kwon are verbs rather than nouns.

So.... if WTF/tkd is only kicking... my TKD then it could be like TSD? or some kind of Korean martial art japanese oriented?
Remember that WTF is federation to regulate the unique sport of taekwondo. The rule set is primarilly kicking with closed fist hand strikes to the torso. This was done to differentiate it from other striking sports so as to gain olympic inclusion. While the sport is cool and fun to both watch and to participate in, it is only one aspect of taekwondo.

Why I ask this? because we have been talking about the roots of TKD latelly and as long as we know the masters that integrated the KTA, ITF, KUKIWON and WTF were in the begining people who stidied chinese and japanese martial arts.

Manny
Kukki taekwondo addresses a much broader range of techniques than just what is allowed in the sport setting, as evidenced by the pumse. Most schools that have a self defense element in their classes use other methods of teaching it, thus allowing the sport to be the sport and SD to be SD. Self defense would be addressed more in one steps and in realistic scenarios.

Simply prefering to do more than kick does not automatically make what you do TSD. There are other technicalities that differentiate them. Sport is only one small part of the bigger picture.

Daniel

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KKW tkd has all kinds of hand techniques and elbow strikes.
It has s/d,one steps and free sparing
Olympic style sparring has punching,just not to the head/face. Being full contact but supposedly safe to practice punching to the face is not going to fit in.
I realise some schools are sport oriented and have no time to do any training except for oly style, it takes all the attention.I understand this as it is so time consuming to train for high level competitions.Yes these fighters can throw kicks when closed with each other,and from punching range easily,since the rules say no grabbing why not?
I think most people realise when you are seeing a referee you know you are safe to throw high kicks etc
When they are in a cofrontation gone bad they can kick different targets(low) and punch different targets(high),it is not that hard.Referee= fun,no referee=danger.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think most people realise when you are seeing a referee you know you are safe to throw high kicks etc
When they are in a cofrontation gone bad they can kick different targets(low) and punch different targets(high),it is not that hard.Referee= fun,no referee=danger.

Which is why I always bring a referee if expecting trouble.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes & 1 side emphasized the sport, but TKD is a Korean martial art of self defence. As such, Korean culture & etiquette is very important. But western influences are seen to be weakening the eastern philosophy somewhat.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes & 1 side emphasized the sport, but TKD is a Korean martial art of self defence. As such, Korean culture & etiquette is very important. But western influences are seen to be weakening the eastern philosophy somewhat.

But remember puuniu said that sport TKD is what the founders wanted all alongor did I reaed that wrong? If they had the sport version in the beginning than western influences had nothing with weakening anything with TKD. Not saying I agree one way or another, just for the record.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say that I have issues with tkd clubs training legs "significantly" more feet than hands. Tkd means foot AND hand, no matter how you want to translate it. My instructor has said on many occasions "you can be the best kicker getting around but if you cant punch you're screwed when push comes to shove". Tkd is the kicking art and kicks are harder to learn so naturally more time will be spent on them but when I hear about clubs training 80% kicks to 20% punches it just makes no sense to me. Martial arts are a life long endevour and tkd is no different, if I meet a 4th or 5th dan tkdist with weak hand techs I can only wonder what has happened for the last 15 years of their training.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that I have issues with tkd clubs training legs "significantly" more feet than hands.

I personally don't have any issues with it. Actually I feel if the school is focusing mainly on competitions then you should leave everything else out. Perhaps do some Poomsae training once a week?

The level of the competitions today is so high that you really have to think on what you are doing. Now I of course only talk about "real" Taekwondo! (WTF):angel:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say that I have issues with tkd clubs training legs "significantly" more feet than hands. Tkd means foot AND hand, no matter how you want to translate it. My instructor has said on many occasions "you can be the best kicker getting around but if you cant punch you're screwed when push comes to shove". Tkd is the kicking art and kicks are harder to learn so naturally more time will be spent on them but when I hear about clubs training 80% kicks to 20% punches it just makes no sense to me. Martial arts are a life long endevour and tkd is no different, if I meet a 4th or 5th dan tkdist with weak hand techs I can only wonder what has happened for the last 15 years of their training.

I was told that the reason for this is that learning to use feet effectively is more difficult than using hands.

Manny, we train hands, elbows and knees, and practice attacks to eyes throat, groin, knees, etc...but that is not sport TKD. I enjoy TKD as a sport, and Taekwondo has value as a sport, but it can be more than that. It really depends on your goals. If your goal is SD and not sport, your training should be significantly different and far more than executing techniques. Your protective gear and sparring should be very different as well.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally don't have any issues with it. Actually I feel if the school is focusing mainly on competitions then you should leave everything else out. Perhaps do some Poomsae training once a week?

The level of the competitions today is so high that you really have to think on what you are doing. Now I of course only talk about "real" Taekwondo! (WTF):angel:
I am talking about tkd the martial art not tkd the sport. I can understand if you are doing the sport then the focus would be different.

Latest Discussions