Protest Culture Shifts to Religious Right

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, shoot! I first read that as "I baked a poppy into a brownie," and I got all excited. I haven't had one of those brownies in a long time ... :fanboy:

:rofl:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is with Phelps is that he is NOT a Christian. He and his group may claim that they are, but they are nothing of what I know is Christian.

I have no use for him or his clan. Jarod, you are correct on his family all being lawyers and most of his congregation being in the LE community, but Fred Phelps is no longer a lawyer. He got disbarred for his protests and his position on certain issues.

Him and his group are hated by most of us here in KS, as I am sure many of you feel the same way about him and his group. I attend a Baptist church and I hate that they use the Baptist title on their church, it makes us legit Baptists look like a bunch of monsters.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is with Phelps is that he is NOT a Christian. He and his group may claim that they are, but they are nothing of what I know is Christian.

Sure they are. They believe in Jesus, who is the key to salvation. Denying what Phelps is just makes it harder to combat the extremism in your own faith community.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure they are. They believe in Jesus, who is the key to salvation. Denying what Phelps is just makes it harder to combat the extremism in your own faith community.

I think you're referring to the shortest possible explanation for the term "saved" -- a "Christian" is one who follows Christ. This man clearly does not follow even the most basic understanding of who Christ was, or what he taught, and modeled.

There is a precedent set in the Bible for certain people to be "put out" of the Church, or in this case "Faith Community" even though they may still call themselves "Christian."

Last week the Bible study was on "Loving your enemies" -- particulary grieving at their deaths. (As David did for Saul.) I used these nutjobs as a perfect example of the complete opposite idea. This man is the poster-geezer for what "Hate" is, and apparently, he hates just about everyone.

He may believe he is "saved" according to his interpretation of a legal loophole, but he seems to fall well into the category of those in Matthew 7:21-23

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

No, he is not part of our faith community, anymore than someone claiming to be interested in knowledge can be considered a scientist.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It occurred to me that WBC has actually done GLBT rights a huge favor by elevating homophobia to such an absurd caricature. It's a perfect illustration of the end result of prejudice. Does the average homophobe want to compare themselves to that? Not really. So they're actually generating a lot of sympathy for the gay community.

Thanks, Fred! Keep picketing!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It occurred to me that WBC has actually done GLBT rights a huge favor by elevating homophobia to such an absurd caricature. It's a perfect illustration of the end result of prejudice. Does the average homophobe want to compare themselves to that? Not really. So they're actually generating a lot of sympathy for the gay community.

Thanks, Fred! Keep picketing!

I agree. The absurdity of GodHatesFags.com sends people of any conscience or sophistication running in the opposite direction. If it came down to two choices, where would you rather be seen? Holding one of Phelps' neon God Hates Such-n-such signs, or parading alongside the Dykes-on-Bikes at Gay Pride?

As for whether or not Phelps and co are Christians, I beleive they are if they say they are. There's no gatekeeper preventing anyone to profess to Christianity. They may not find acceptance within a given Church -- many Christian religious entities have shunned the Phelps'; many people have interpreted Phelps' preachings as un-Christian.

Latest Discussions