Pro's and Cons of carrying a SD knife

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
You definately like big knives, I'm surprised I don't see a Cold Steel X2 Voyager, or a SOG Spec-Elite on that list. Have you seen the new Cold Steel Espada (I think that's what it's called...it's the one that looks like a Navaja with a 7" blade)?

Generally I always carry a defense knife. If I am going out at night or traveling I carry my off-duty weapon a Springfield XD sub compact.
Even as small as the gun is its hard to conceal on warm days or evening so that is where a nice quality folder comes into play.

I'm really hoping that doesn't mean you choose a knife over a gun for comfort reasons? shame on you :D

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally I always carry a defense knife. If I am going out at night or traveling I carry my off-duty weapon a Springfield XD sub compact.
Even as small as the gun is its hard to conceal on warm days or evening so that is where a nice quality folder comes into play.

I collect tactical folders but my favorites are:

REKAT SIFU (have both the more common black handle and the very very rare red handle ) AWSOME knife to bad they stopped making them.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=+sifu+knife&start=60&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Benchmade AFCK Axis Lock
Spyderco Civilian - spooky knife
Camillus Cuda Max

All have great strong locks and the bechmade and spyderco are 4" blades and the Camillus and REKAT have just over 5" blades.
Yeah I collect tactical folders too.

I also carry a GLOCK 27 .40 for off-duty carry......and usually two folding blades.....a Benchmade ATS-43 and a Benchmade Presidio (auto-folder).....I also have been known to carry a CRKT M16SF that i'm rather fond of.

I've also got a 'Cold Steel Safemaker' Neck Knife I wear around my neck wearing my uniform and sometimes in plain clothes.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Böker 'Reality-based' tactical folder, designed by Jim Wagner, and a couple of other folders, flicks, etc., but recently couldn't refrain from purchasing a Cold Steel Recon Tanto. There's something extremely impressive about the shape of the blade that would, I suspect, make any attacker think way more than twice about continuing the attack once he was, um, shown it. There's just something about that tanto shape...

kalimistress

White Belt
Reaction score
I finally feel comfortable carrying a self defense knife after i have trained in FMA with heavy emphasis on knife for 3 years now. I carry a small spyderco Lava .....bigger is not always better.....

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a small spyderco Lava .....bigger is not always better.....

What are the advantages of carrying such a small knife as opposed to something with say, a 3-4" blade (or whatever is legal in your locale)?

Aside from legal limits, I fail to see an actual advantage. Just curious as to your reasoning.

ben

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I never carry a sd knife.
I used to carry a wave endura for spreading peanut butter and a meadowlark for jelly (my peanut butter jar is deeper than my jelly jar) and a serrated endura for slicing bread but now I work at the airport so I just carry half a dozen cheap pens.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand where you guys are comming from but I don't carry a thing. The character George Smiley from John Lecarre's novels is a spy who never carries a weapon because if discovered it's pretty hard to explain why a reasonable person would be strapped why going about is daily buisiness. I'm of a smililar mindset.

I wear combat boots and kick like a freight train, I don't need a knife for most self defence.

ben

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It just depends on where you live.

In some places it would be pretty hard to explain why a reasonable person would not be strapped while going about their daily business.

I don't carry out of necessity though and I fully expect that if I am attacked I won't have time to draw a weapon.

I carry because in order to defend against a knife effectively I need to have a very good understanding of how one can be used and if I am not 100% comfortable being around and handling weapons (knife, gun, stick, whatever) then this will add stress and tension into an all ready very stressful situation.

That being said I don't go around armed to the teeth 24/7 and if you don't, won't or can't go armed, just look around there are plenty of "knives" (pens, forks, corners, ect.) lying around all over the place.

Being "armed" has a lot to do with your mentality and how you view your surroundings, not just what you have on your person. (although thats important too)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand where you guys are comming from but I don't carry a thing. The character George Smiley from John Lecarre's novels is a spy who never carries a weapon because if discovered it's pretty hard to explain why a reasonable person would be strapped why going about is daily buisiness. I'm of a smililar mindset.

I wear combat boots and kick like a freight train, I don't need a knife for most self defence.

If it's legal to carry, this pretty much becomes a non-issue.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex: exactly. I make weapons far more dangerous than "simple" knives (knuckle duster with short blades instead of simple knobs or spikes for example) yet according to our idiotic laws there are no regulations for them. I simply don't have to explain officers why I have them. I have to explain laws to them as they almost never read those things they should enforce - but having printed versions of Hungarian laws with me always helps a lot.

Latest Discussions