Prodigy Learns Piano in About 2 Days

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In 1761, the world possessed the faith required to let Mozart's talent flourish.

Sort of.

Mozart was perpetually unemployed. After leaving the Salzberg court at the age of 21, he never again earned the court composer's job that he so desperately needed to support himself.

He was often nearly destitute, and at often could not take proper care of his health. When he died at 35, he had a funeral typical of a rank-and-file Viennese, a 3rd class funeral with the body buried in a common grave at St. Marx Cathedral outside Vienna.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sort of.

Mozart was perpetually unemployed. After leaving the Salzberg court at the age of 21, he never again earned the court composer's job that he so desperately needed to support himself.

He was often nearly destitute, and at often could not take proper care of his health. When he died at 35, he had a funeral typical of a rank-and-file Viennese, a 3rd class funeral with the body buried in a common grave at St. Marx Cathedral outside Vienna.

True....although he hasn't particularly appreciated in his time, the environment allowed him to continue composing. Over 600 works and people still went to see his stuff.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing though - his technique isn't perfect by our standards.....but look at Dizzy Gillespie - any trumpet teacher tells every student "don't puff your cheeks".....worked for Dizzy. I wonder if Beethoven's technique was perfect?

It seems to me that formal training would stifle this kid. I would venture to say that some of the most incredible musicians to ever live didn't get the level of formal training that you'd expect. Hell, Mozart was able to play circles around anyone available to teach him by the age of 10....what teacher is going to go up to a kid who can outplay them on his worst day and say "you hold your wrists incorrectly."

As a musician myself, I have met other sax players who can instinctively play better than I would be able to with 20 years of constant practicing. I think this kid is one of those. I could practice my entire life and never have his talent. I would even go so far as to say that it isn't his technique that is wrong, it is everyone else's, he is obviously doing something right.

His playing is amazing, but it's not quite at the level of someone his age who has had lessons since the age of six-the context is everything: what's amazing is that he apparently pretty much did it himself.

Dizzy Gillespie, for example, was the son of a bandleader-instruments were around at an early age. He taught himself to play the trumpet at the age of 12.

As far as technique goes, I was merely using that to point out that the boy likely hasn't received any "secret" training, as others had speculated.I'd be the last person to get hung up on proper form.

Last edited:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
His playing is amazing, but it's not quite at the level of someone his age who has had lessons since the age of six-the context is everything: what's amazing is that he apparently pretty much did it himself.

True, and he can probably improve quite a bit with formal training. I think that I'm a bit starstruck at the idea. What truly struck me was his comment regarding always composing in his head. The ability to write multi-part pieces in one's head is pretty amazing. Having that memory for music and the ability to translate it to paper is incredible. When I compose, I need to sit at a keyboard for hours trying to find the right notes for the passage that I want and it is complicated even more with multiple instruments.

Dizzy Gillespie, for example, was the son of a bandleader-instruments were around at an early age. He taught himself to play the trumpet at the age of 12.[/quote]

That's exactly why he impresses me so much.....being self taught is incredible to me with the resources that these people had available. When I taught myself certain instruments, I had the internet, books, CDs, etc...

As far as technique goes, I was merely using that to point out that the boy likely hasn't received any "secret" training, as others had speculated.I'd be the last person to get hung up on proper form.

true - that is probably the most telling point of it being some kind of intrinsic ability....

Latest Discussions