Elephant Birth... AMAZING video

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a remarkable video of an Indian Elephant giving birth... fair warning, it's very graphic and bloody but it's still no less wonderful to see such a large animal giving birth to it's young.

[yt]97CRwd_U2FU[/yt]​

The elephant mother kicking the baby after it's born is the same as a human slap on the butt to get it to breathe.
The doctors/vets decided to leave the mother alone rather go help to allow the mother to figure it out (her first birth) how to and to strengthen the bond between them.
Eventually the baby starts breathing and within minutes begins to stand and start to walk.
I think that it's remarkable difference between humans and animals at how soon their babies learn to walk on their own.
Of course because human babies aren't prey to predators in the wild.

Thoughts? Comments?

My initial idea where the baby normally would've come out got tossed right out the window... thawt usually it was just under the tail and just below the poop-chute, however I realized that the belly was distended and thus the vaginal opening was lowered... makes sense as the fall from that height would've probably killed the baby elephant.
Really amazing video though.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The whole time, it bothered me that the baby was going to be dropped right onto the cement. Do you suppose that knocked her out for a minute? I wish they'd moved the mom to a grassy area or something instead.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The whole time, it bothered me that the baby was going to be dropped right onto the cement. Do you suppose that knocked her out for a minute? I wish they'd moved the mom to a grassy area or something instead.
Where does a pregnant elephant give birth? Anywhere it wants!

The cement was probably no harder on the baby than say packed dirt outside... remember that even like human babies they're very flexible, also the sac of fluid hit the ground before the body of the baby did thus breaking the fall or cushioning it.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Note to self....don't eat tomato soup while watching a cool video from caver.....

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, I actually got a little weepy.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's awesome! Thanks! Watching that reminded me of watching my dog whelp her puppies a few months ago....

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions