Private study vs. Group study

• Thread starter Chicago Green Dragon
  • Start date
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Which do you think is better ? Private study (one on one) with a teacher or Group study (studying in a class with other people).

Pro's and Con's

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

OP
H

headkick

Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
Which do you think is better ? Private study (one on one) with a teacher or Group study (studying in a class with other people).

Pro's and Con's

Chicago Green

Hate to stradle the fence, but BOTH! There are great advantages to teaching new things in the private setting. But, you need the group setting to practice those. Gotta bang on people and get hit yourself. You can't simulate that. So, private once a week, then groups the rest of it.

R

OP
S

SingingTiger

Originally posted by headkick
So, private once a week, then groups the rest of it.

Based on my experience, I'd have to agree.

Rich

OP
J

Jill666

I've done group study throughout, with private study to supplement. I find that I need different bodies to abuse, I mean, practice with. Being forced to adapt the moves to a 5'10" 180lb guy to a 6'4" 240lb guy will show up the areas to imrove pretty fast! Also helps me decide what I would use on the street and what I wouldn't, depending on who I am dealing with.

I took privates weekly for two years until I reached black belt, but now funds restrict my classes. If there is something I need more work on, I will use the private.

Also I highly recommend going outside the home base for seminars- keeps ya on your toes, your mind open etc.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
both can be great...both can be bad.

it really all depends on who is with you in the general class...and who is teaching you in the private lesson.

if an instructor is only so-so, you won't get much out of a private lesson with them, especially if they aren't going to push you to get better.

at the same time, if for some reason you surrounded by incompetents in a class...you won't likely get a whole lot of constructive training in either.

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

hmm very good point

Chicago Green

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I alway had group study until I was Black. Then got lots of privates, usually because nobody else showed up.

Current instructor, privates since 1990. I like the synergy of a class however. You push yourself more. Or at least I do.

-Michael

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
I alway had group study until I was Black. Then got lots of privates, usually because nobody else showed up.

privates by default eh? those are sweet cause you don't have to pay extra for them :cool: :D

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Originally posted by tarabos
privates by default eh? those are sweet cause you don't have to pay extra for them :cool: :D

Hey good point Tarabos.........

Its nice to get a private lesson for the cost of a group one...

Chicago Green

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have heard of the Luxury Tax, that is what privates would have been to me in the NCKKA. Would have loved to have had them, but were cost prohibitive. Of course the group class I went to sometimes lasted two and a half hours. Conditioning, training, and learning.

Now that I can afford them occasionally, I would have to travel to get one. That makes it really hard. Appreciate what you have if you are in or near one of the Kenpo Seniors. Don't even hesitate, get all the time and knowledge they are willing to share.

-Michael

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chicago Green Dragon
Which do you think is better ? Private study (one on one) with a teacher or Group study (studying in a class with other people). Pro's and Con's
Chicago Green Dragon :asian:

Very tricky question.

Depending upon which side of the fence (point of view) you want to take.... the student or the studios, "will at times" make the difference. From the studio's point of view it is always good because of the extra revenue center.... and it helps to personalize and get to know your students, on the other hand some students personalities require private lessons yet others do better in groups...... there are many considerations. The methods of the instructors with privates and group weaving is also paramount in making this a viable and workable mix to be able to transmit material and yet be able to ingrain and train it with the student. These are just a few quick thoughts.

Private lessons in the beginning are 'OK' and help to start off the student but it is most important to be able to blend in with a group also to watch others and realize that there are better persons and lesser persons than yourself, synergy is also a strong factor. At the advanced stages I think privates are at their zenith.

The tendency with privates is to go the them and avoid the group "workout" sessions..... which leads to poor students I have found. When the instructor can integrate a "good mix" of both is when you get maximum results.

Often times after many private lessons.... the student gets bogged down with material that he hasn't worked on and in a private you don't usually work on physical things but rather learning or going over technical material.

In group classes I weave in new material as well as a good workout so as to accomplish several goals and keep a good unified studio of students which I have found to be the best possible scenario.

:asian:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Very tricky question.

The tendency with privates is to go the them and avoid the group "workout" sessions..... which leads to poor students I have found. When the instructor can integrate a "good mix" of both is when you get maximum results.

Often times after many private lessons.... the student gets bogged down with material that he hasn't worked on and in a private you don't usually work on physical things but rather learning or going over technical material.

:asian:

I have to agree. Privates are great, but if you are not practicing the stuff and coming to the workouts, you are cheating yourself.

OP
K

Kroy

I found that many people at my old studio who took private lessons, showed up, took their half hour and you wouldnt see them again until next week. They were only fooling themselves.:asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Originally posted by Kroy
I found that many people at my old studio who took private lessons, showed up, took their half hour and you wouldnt see them again until next week. They were only fooling themselves.:asian:

I have seen the same thing and I agree.

I think they don't realize that the practice they could be doing outside the studio will help to reinforce the knowledge and lesson they were taught in the studio.

Chicago Green

Greggers69

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say group lessons for the most part. I go to a small class so it's not too bad. But I can practice on people who are 5'6 all the way to 6'2 and you can't get that in a private lessons. :asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

Originally posted by Greggers69
I would have to say group lessons for the most part. I go to a small class so it's not too bad. But I can practice on people who are 5'6 all the way to 6'2 and you can't get that in a private lessons. :asian:

Good Point Greggers69

The more we talk about this the more I see both having its pro's and con's. I think that its nice to have a bit of both when you can. It gives your practice that yin and yang balance.

Chicago Green

OP
K

Kroy

What we started doing was each belt level had a certain amount of group classes that they had to attend before they were allowed to test for the next level. This seemed to fix the problem.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree that both are good. Yes, it's good to have a class setting where you can try things out on different size people. That I believe is absolutely necessary. But sometimes one on one with the teacher is great. There's no one else around to distract you and it's all about what YOU need to improve on and work on and get that undivided attention for a while til you get it. I'm going to try and fit in more privates if my finances allow it.

Latest Discussions