Principles

OP
E

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I have learned a lot about what you guys think about principles. I would like everyone to know that a few principles I have learned are: Triangulation, disturb the balance, brake the balance, attack the attack, and many others. I would like you to know I got these principles from a book and video series by Shihan Tony Annesi (7th dan in Aiki-Ju-Jutsu) and he has great quality videos and books and I would reccomend you purchase a book or two or video because they are not just quality but they also have great instruction. You can order by going to his website (click link below to visit) or call (888)881-4007 or email at
[email protected]
http://bushido-kai.net/budoya/

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someone asked: “I'd be curious to hear how people define "a principle / principles" as it relates to your art? I ask because many people (including myself) often confuse principles with strategies or tactics...”

Principle – the general rule or law; the source or cause from which a thing proceeds, the fundamental cause; the established mode of action or operation in nature, that which is inherent in anything.

Technique – is the theory of an art or the study of the theory of an art; the method of performance or the manner in which something is done.

Strategy - the art or science of conducting a campaign. How you go about engaging the enemy to cause an affect.

Tactics - The art of handling troops or oneself in the presence of the enemy. It is how you maneuver or present yourself.

Principles are the general truths which govern how the body moves and the actions the body can do or utilize. The techniques are the actual manner in with it does it. I feel we often confuse principles and techniques with methods. Most all the arts use the same principles of movement and body function; the techniques are therefore all very similar. What is different is the method by which we learn and train the principle, the techniques, the strategy and tactics. In the end it is all quite the same for the human body in any part of the world is the same as in any other part. I also feel we spend far to much time and effort in arguing over which is the best. Unless I have a basic understanding of a how to utilize my body to create a technique I will never be able to create concepts or ideas to which I can apply the principles for the application of techniques. I can understand completely the principle of leverage yet never be able to apply the proper leverage if I don’t have a basic understanding of where to apply or when to apply it. Principles are very important but not until I know when and what they are to be applied to.

Danny

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eric Daniel said:
How do you determine what techniques are effective and what techniques are not effetive since you can not cover every encounter you may be in, in the dojo? Do you do what the samurai used to do and find out what techniqes are effective in battle? most likely No.

I think if you have principles to guide you, you can have more Effective techniques than Uneffetive techniques because One principle can have 10,000 techniques. For example, the principle disterbing the balance can have many techniques used for just that one principle.

What is your perspective on this subject?
I think that having a credible instructor is everything. They will let you know what is bull and what isnt. Then from there you have a good guideline to follow.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I think that having a credible instructor is everything. They will let you know what is bull and what isnt. Then from there you have a good guideline to follow.

Having a credible instructor can help. However, you the individual must get in the game and play it yourself. The instructor can give you great principles and techniques. You can work them forever in the air and with a willing training partner thousands of times. However, until you spar it against a not willing highly resisting opponent you will never be able to apply the principles and create the techniques in the manner you should. That is where you will find out what is bull or what isn't.

Danny

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danny T said:
Having a credible instructor can help. However, you the individual must get in the game and play it yourself. The instructor can give you great principles and techniques. You can work them forever in the air and with a willing training partner thousands of times. However, until you spar it against a not willing highly resisting opponent you will never be able to apply the principles and create the techniques in the manner you should. That is where you will find out what is bull or what isn't. Danny

In my opinion, any school that doesn't give you the opportunity to practice on and spar with a resisting opponent isn't much of a school. I'd begin to have my doubts about the effectiveness of the system and the abilities of the instructor running it.

That's my two cents anyway.

OP
E

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Just make sure you test your principles, in many different ways.

That's wear sparring comes in. Extend an arm beyond 180' and bad things happen, good principle, but it needs to be put into use in sparring sessions bytaking it too 180' getting pain but not causing injury.

Disrupting balance, same thing. Easily done in sparring, usually ends with a takedown or a throw.

Punch someone hard on the chin, they might get KOed, good principle, glove up and practice hitting people on the chin, even if the gloves and mouth guard are preventing the KO.

Un-useable principles, like knocking him out with a chi ball unless he wiggles his toes are, oddly enough, not possible in sparring ;)

Thanks for the advise. I will keep this in mind.

Sincerely, Eric Daniel

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I think this is a good and valid statement. I would like to add that perhaps it is good to have a body of techniques as well, because at least for the beginner stages it is easier to understand how to apply concepts through the medium of techniques. The techniques need to be kept in perspective, that they are only rough guides meant to give you tools to work with, but are not meant to be the absolute answer to any situation.
Sets are just as effective as techs. Instead of wonering which tech fits, you are just at that position in the set where ever your hands happen to be in relation to your opponent.
Sean

Latest Discussions