Pride's Price

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@jobo
When I was playing (American) football in high school, we'd run plays during practice. One day we ran the play wrong against our defense. So our coach stopped us and had us immediately run it again. We ran it correctly the second time, but guess what? The defense immediately stopped it. Our coach threw his clipboard in the air and said "off course you'd stop it, you knew exactly what was coming at you!"

Failed miserably against a fully resisting partner in practice. Worked perfectly against our opponent that week who didn't know it was coming. Actually, the play worked against several teams when we ran it at the right time and the right way. Never worked when they were expecting it though. Same as every play we ran throughout my career.

Odd... something didn't work against a fully resisting partner/opponent when they knew it was coming, yet it worked very well when they weren't expecting it. Remind you of anything?
if we are getting into stories that have next to nothing to do with the topic , when I'm playing soccer, if I'm taking a penalty i tell the keeper exactly where I'm going to put, " bottom left mate" i say and they seldom if ever manage to save it even though they know when I'm going to kick it and where.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if we are getting into stories that have next to nothing to do with the topic , when I'm playing soccer, if I'm taking a penalty i tell the keeper exactly where I'm going to put, " bottom left mate" i say and they seldom if ever manage to save it even though they know when I'm going to kick it and where.
If they believe you, they should be able to save that a reasonable portion of the time. It's one of the harder areas to save, but far from impossible. (Source: former keeper)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If they believe you, they should be able to save that a reasonable portion of the time. It's one of the harder areas to save, but far from impossible. (Source: former keeper)
yes but i don't tell them if its my left or theirs,,, of course they don't believe me, that's what makes it funny they just stand there try to work out which left i mean,whilst it rolls in

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
going off, at a slight tangent, but still closer to topic that football stories.

i find knowing what will happen next a huge distraction, like my keeper story, i know there is a left hand coming and i know it going to be moving fast, but I'm not sure exactly when, missed it, damm , my conscious reactions are to slow. If i don't know what will happen, then I'm dependent on my subconscious reactions,

and they are far quicker, even if i move rather than block, which is my natural reaction, I've not complete the techneque as required, but nether have i been hit, which is actually the most important, not that the instructor or my partner think so, they accuse me of messing the drill up, by not co operating.

i dodged a punch when i should have been blocking and kicked him in the chest when i should have been pulling his arm.

should have heard him moan, what the point of that he said, i wasn't expecting that,,, welcome to the real world i said:)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes but i don't tell them if its my left or theirs,,, of course they don't believe me, that's what makes it funny they just stand there try to work out which left i mean,whilst it rolls in
I think you missed my point. Your story wasn't unrelated. If you tell the keeper it's going low to their left - and they believe you, and you actually kick it there - their chances of stopping that shot go up quite a bit. It's not because that shot doesn't work.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you missed my point. Your story wasn't unrelated. If you tell the keeper it's going low to their left - and they believe you, and you actually kick it there - their chances of stopping that shot go up quite a bit. It's not because that shot doesn't work.
i don't tell them is going to their level though, i just give them something to think about that slows them down

but, no if i tell them exactly where its going and hit it right they still cant save it anyway, if they start in the middle of the goal

,these are Sunday league keepers, they are only in goals coz they are too fat to run

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't tell them is going to their level though, i just give them something to think about that slows them down

but, no if i tell them exactly where its going and hit it right they still cant save it anyway, if they start in the middle of the goal

,these are Sunday league keepers, they are only in goals coz they are too fat to run
Yes, but if they believe you, they wouldn't start in the middle of the goal. They'd stand one step from the corner.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are , fat not stupid,
That has nothing to do with the point. Your kick to the lower left corner is an excellent technique (low corners are very hard to defend). If he knows that's where you're going, he can make it unavailable, and your chances of scoring there go way down. So, what do you do if they believe you and move to defend that corner?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the point. Your kick to the lower left corner is an excellent technique (low corners are very hard to defend). If he knows that's where you're going, he can make it unavailable, and your chances of scoring there go way down. So, what do you do if they believe you and move to defend that corner?
then i put it in the other left hand bottom corner

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has QUITE a bit to do with the topic. Think about it, it's an analogy...

The play didn't work in practice against a fully resisting opponent who knew it was coming.

The play worked many times in an actual game against a fully resisting opponent who didn't know it was coming.

Substitute punch, kick, grab, pull, sweep, etc. ad nauseam for play, and it becomes clear. Yes, it took a little effort without my spelling it out for you, but you're sharper than that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that is the point. If they make one valid technique unavailable (or even low-percentage) you choose another valid technique.
its the same technique, and the same target, just a slightly different part of the target,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that is the point. If they make one valid technique unavailable (or even low-percentage) you choose another valid technique.
its the same technique, and the same target, just a slightly different part of the target,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its the same technique, and the same target, just a slightly different part of the target, , it like punching someone in the ear instead of the nose

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its the same technique, and the same target, just a slightly different part of the target, , it like punching someone in the eye instead of the nose

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its the same technique, and the same target, just a slightly different part of the target, , it like punching someone in the eye instead of the nose

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you ever get the feeling that you're trying to convince Raymond Babbitt that K-Mart sucks?

Latest Discussions