Pressure point attack

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so if you have a given technique that targets "pressure points", you are happy to sit back and accept it as is, without knowing the mechanism behind it?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
so if you have a given technique that targets "pressure points", you are happy to sit back and accept it as is, without knowing the mechanism behind it?
I'm sorry Shawn,
whom are you asking this of???

Your Brother
John

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I'm sorry Shawn,
whom are you asking this of???

Your Brother
John
anyone who feels that it is applicable to them. just to get some insight into how other systems might approach it......either as a group, or from one persons personal experience while applying what he or she does.
while a system might have a modus operandi, there is nothing that stops a student from thinking outside the box and applying knowledge that is new to them to something they already do.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking personally,
I never sit back and take anything as is.
changing, adapting and altering is the GREATEST fun I think.

Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
anyone who feels that it is applicable to them. just to get some insight into how other systems might approach it......either as a group, or from one persons personal experience while applying what he or she does.
while a system might have a modus operandi, there is nothing that stops a student from thinking outside the box and applying knowledge that is new to them to something they already do.

I'm always thinking outside the box, and of ways to improve my training. That being said, if I see something that I feel is effective and would benefit me, of course, I'll add it to my bag of tools. However, having an understanding of what you're adding is key to making it as effective as possible. What good is having something that you're not going to understand? If you can't understand it, how are you going to use it?

Mike

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I'm always thinking outside the box, and of ways to improve my training. That being said, if I see something that I feel is effective and would benefit me, of course, I'll add it to my bag of tools. However, having an understanding of what you're adding is key to making it as effective as possible. What good is having something that you're not going to understand? If you can't understand it, how are you going to use it?

Mike
egg zactly

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want to get out of there. I wouldn't overthink it by looking for Gallbladder-7 or what have you. You've got to break that control, fast. Sure, in theory, hitting it just so might make it more ffective--but hitting a "just so" spot in such a circumstance is unlikely. You need a more robust technique.
Like "squeezing the peach"

It doesn't get much more robust then that and no hockey style beating is going to continue afterwards!

J

jkdhit

from the training i've received, we haven't gone too deep into pressure points and using them. from the different types of training i've received, the main areas of attack which we go for are normally the nose, eyes, ears, temple, groin, stomach, shins

i noticed a lot of schools mention the sternum but it's been shown that a hit to the sternum isn't very effective a majority of the time. i remember i read in a martial arts magazine last year that some martial artist was in a fight with a much larger guy, he hit the guy in the sternum and expected him to drop but ended up getting clobbered

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you MJS for the information. Mr Dillman seminars may be worth taking, hope he comes to Big Island of Hawaii one day?...............Aloha

Reactions: MJS

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Thank-you MJS for the information. Mr Dillman seminars may be worth taking, hope he comes to Big Island of Hawaii one day?...............Aloha

You're welcome! :asian: I'm glad that I could help. :)

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want to get out of there. I wouldn't overthink it by looking for Gallbladder-7 or what have you. You've got to break that control, fast. Sure, in theory, hitting it just so might make it more ffective--but hitting a "just so" spot in such a circumstance is unlikely. You need a more robust technique.
I think I understand where you are coming from. BUT: I don't think it's a matter of looking for "GB-7", but of augmenting your training so that the blocks, grabs, strikes and kicks that you would have been doing in your techniques that you practice day in and day out make access of these points... that way when you go to respond to an attack, what you do ALREADY has these targets.....targetted. It's not that you use a "Pressure point technique" but a technique that simply exploits a pressure point. It's simply a way to amplify the usefullness of what you already do. To call THAT approach "ineffective" is to call martial arts training as a whole innefective.

Something to think about.
Your Brother
John

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit i remember i read in a martial arts magazine last year that some martial artist was in a fight with a much larger guy, he hit the guy in the sternum and expected him to drop but ended up getting clobbered

Hitting in the sternum is not really pressure point hitting. The solar plexus below the sternum might be considered a pressure point.

When you strike the solar plexus - assuming you hit it - the reaction varies depending on whether the person is breathing in or out at the time, whether they have eaten recently, whether they are out of breath, whether they have strong stomach muscles.

When I hit the solar plexus in boxing, it is with the aim of hitting it a second or third time, to slow down my opponent as he gets progressively winded. With a bit of luck he might slow down a lot on the first strike.

In a situation wit hno gloves the guy might go down first time, but that is a big 'might'. So you are aking sense when you say that someone who hits someone and then expects them to go down will proabably get clobbered.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Like "squeezing the peach"

It doesn't get much more robust then that and no hockey style beating is going to continue afterwards!
I assume this is an attack to the groin, using a hand strike or a grab? If someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, that's a reasonable thing to try...but you're still taking shots to the head while doing so, no? I think I'd rather get my hands up, smother that punching arm, and either try an eye jab or else try to clinch or lock the straight arm first, rather than continuing to take that damage.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
i noticed a lot of schools mention the sternum but it's been shown that a hit to the sternum isn't very effective a majority of the time.
In training I have good luck getting a 'cough' and brief delay from a sternum hit, which I make good use of to enter. I wouldn't want to bet on it though, and wouldn't use it when the fight was truly on but rather against an initial grab to buy a little time--just straight-arm the center of the chest, then go to work.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I don't think it's a matter of looking for "GB-7", but of augmenting your training so that the blocks, grabs, strikes and kicks that you would have been doing in your techniques that you practice day in and day out make access of these points... that way when you go to respond to an attack, what you do ALREADY has these targets.....targetted.
I'm familiar with this line of reasoning, and I agree with it to a point. If someone comes up and does a collar grab and just stands there, it'd work. But if he grabs you by the collars and starts pulling and shaking you, I don't believe there's any real chance of hitting the pressure point target, so I don't think it'd help. But, it wouldn't hurt, so no argument!

For the type of "hockey-style" attack discussed, where the other person already has control of you with one hand and is actively striking you with the other, I don't think it'd be likely to help...but if it's built-in to your training then sure, it won't hurt.

To call THAT approach "ineffective" is to call martial arts training as a whole innefective.
Well, I don't agree with you there.

J

jkdhit

actually i meant solar plexus not sternum :p the magazine said solar plexus. they had written about how it's not effective a majority of the time. also most martial arts don't emphasize too much on pressure points because then you have a lot of people trying to reach a pressure point and end up getting injured because that was the focus of their target

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The solar plexus is pretty effective. It helps to hit it while he's breathing in/relaxed, of course.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
while an upper abdominal strike is effective at causing someone to double over in pain, the celiac plexus is located behind the stomach in front of the abdominal aorta, a rather protected spot in the abdomen as it resides behind the lower rib cage.
the actual hit to the upper abdomen is probably effecting the superior mesenteric plexus, this can cause all sorts of stomach cramps and difficulty breathing due to its mixture with the vagus nerve.

this is the kinda thing im talking about

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jkdhit said:
but reaching a point like that seems very complicated

Not really. More of a case of 'Hit 'em in the gut, high up' as against 'Hit 'em in the gut low down'.

I also use a couple of pressure point grabs to augment my standing grappling. An example is pushing into the wrist tendons with your thumb while grabbing the wrist as a little 'extra' while executing a throw, or pushing into the exposed point on top of the shoulder blade while executing a hammer lock. I find that one particularly effective, because in a straightforward hammerlock you get out by moving away from the pain. By adding pain from another direction you can help confuse this basic reflex action.

Note that the throw or hammerlock work structurally without the 'extra' added by the pressure point technique.

Latest Discussions