Pressure point attack

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All though it is not a specific graded component of our sylabus we are taught to use basic pressure points in quite a number of our techniques, do others get taught to use these points in there training.
Its just not something that gets discussed that much in general talk but it really makes a great deal of difference in a technique if you can locate a point that makes the reaction that your trying to set up happen without any extra effort on your part.
Do people even know how easy they are to find and use? :idunno:

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean . I am fortunate enough to have two training partners who have trained under Dillman for quite a few years . They are always lighting me up during demo's . I think it is probably harder to hit those points during combat , but I will say they never miss in class . They know exactly were each spot is & they have taught me alot . I'v also seen plenty of demos were Dillman & his students have put people out . I think that they are effective if you really understand them .

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We train to use them, or at least to know where they are and to practive using against them. Mostly we practice using them as part of a strike. Such as areas in the wrist, arms, neck, etc....that make a strike much more painful, or better at motivating movement in the direction we want.. We do it to each other so we know the difference. I wouldn't, or don't, rely on them solely, more to add an extra zing to a technique so you can use less muscle and still get the desired result. When I miss, I still go through, it's just harder to get my partner to do what I want.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you know where the pressure points are and you have good precision with your techniques, it is very beneficial to use. It isn't easy to hist such small areas, and it isnt a good idea to train with partners striking a pressure points because it can be very damaging. so you have to train them seperatly. But IMO pressure point and joint strikes are a smaller persons best chance against a bigger person.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure points certainly have their place. IMO, they work best against a grab, or where there is not as much movement compared to someone trying to punch you. Can it be done? Absolutely! But its going to take some practice.

Mike

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been getting some training with pressure points lately. The focus of their use is for subject control, so they are relatively easy to get to and use. Some are for quick pain compliance, behind the ear, bracchial at the side of the neck, bottom of neck (notch at top of chest.), under the nose, under the jaw. Others are for quick stunning, common peroneal, scapular etc. The first set are small and the weapon used against them is generally a thumb or finger. The stunning/ disabling points are bigger and kicks or hand strikes as can be used.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
redfang said:
I've been getting some training with pressure points lately. The focus of their use is for subject control, so they are relatively easy to get to and use. Some are for quick pain compliance, behind the ear, bracchial at the side of the neck, bottom of neck (notch at top of chest.), under the nose, under the jaw. Others are for quick stunning, common peroneal, scapular etc. The first set are small and the weapon used against them is generally a thumb or finger. The stunning/ disabling points are bigger and kicks or hand strikes as can be used.
The ones you listed are the ones I use the most, I really love the one under the nose (my training partners aren't crazy about it though :D). I also like some of the ones on the arm: back of the arm right above the elbow, inside of the arm under the biceps, armpit, etc. I see the pressure points more as "icing on the cake." In other words I'll use them if I can get them but I'm not going to work for them specifically. My most common use is during grappling/groundfighting, or to escape a hug or a hold. However, I usually prefer just to strike. I tend to adhere to the school of thought that says that "any spot can be a presure point if you hit it hard enough." :D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Pressure points certainly have their place. IMO, they work best against a grab, or where there is not as much movement compared to someone trying to punch you. Can it be done? Absolutely! But its going to take some practice.

Mike
No doubt Mike, practice...practice....and..........more practice. But then, that's what every element of our martial arts demands of us in order to achieve excellence.

I personally think that a good deal of our techniques already have these points being targeted w/in them...but once you know the points, know the trajectory to access them and what they should do.... the techs that you already have are then "Amplified" in usefulness. Definitely something to look into.
I am. Take for instance the EPAK technique: Five Swords. Excellent for targeting the presure points!!! Almost every single move hits very useful points....from start to finish. Well worth looking into.

Your Brother
John

B

BaiKaiGuy

silatman said:
All though it is not a specific graded component of our sylabus we are taught to use basic pressure points in quite a number of our techniques, do others get taught to use these points in there training.
Its just not something that gets discussed that much in general talk but it really makes a great deal of difference in a technique if you can locate a point that makes the reaction that your trying to set up happen without any extra effort on your part.
Do people even know how easy they are to find and use? :idunno:
We have a number of them in my style. Just like any other technique, never cou nt on them as a "fight ender", but be aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

As for ease, I really need to break out my copy of Gray's Anatomy, lol.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pressure points are cool, but alot of it is common knowledge. I can gragb a guy by his arm pit and make him go where ever I want and say look at me Im a pressure point master, or hit someone in the neck and drop them. I tell people to just go for the neck, eyes, and nuts. You cant go wrong there.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Pressure points are cool, but alot of it is common knowledge. I can gragb a guy by his arm pit and make him go where ever I want and say look at me Im a pressure point master, or hit someone in the neck and drop them. I tell people to just go for the neck, eyes, and nuts. You cant go wrong there.
the problem with pressure points is that it is like having a tool without the knowledge to use it well.
effective use of pressure points, whether they be nerve or acupuncture points, needs at least a bare minimum of general working knowledge.
for instance if someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want a release as well as the ability to block the punches. which nerve or nerve bundle would you strike to weaken both the flexors and extensors of the forearm? which nerve bundle weakens the flexors of the upper arm?
understanding even a small bit of this will make "pressure point" strikes much more effective.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
for instance if someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want a release as well as the ability to block the punches. which nerve or nerve bundle would you strike to weaken both the flexors and extensors of the forearm? which nerve bundle weakens the flexors of the upper arm?
If someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want to get out of there. I wouldn't overthink it by looking for Gallbladder-7 or what have you. You've got to break that control, fast. Sure, in theory, hitting it just so might make it more ffective--but hitting a "just so" spot in such a circumstance is unlikely. You need a more robust technique.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
The ones you listed are the ones I use the most, I really love the one under the nose (my training partners aren't crazy about it though :D). I also like some of the ones on the arm: back of the arm right above the elbow, inside of the arm under the biceps, armpit, etc. I see the pressure points more as "icing on the cake." In other words I'll use them if I can get them but I'm not going to work for them specifically. My most common use is during grappling/groundfighting, or to escape a hug or a hold. However, I usually prefer just to strike. I tend to adhere to the school of thought that says that "any spot can be a presure point if you hit it hard enough." :D

i agree completely with your presepctive. :supcool:

anything on the body can be a pressure point, when manipulated properly and efficiently.

just noticed you were in springfield. where do you train?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style, you want to get out of there. I wouldn't overthink it by looking for Gallbladder-7 or what have you. You've got to break that control, fast. Sure, in theory, hitting it just so might make it more ffective--but hitting a "just so" spot in such a circumstance is unlikely. You need a more robust technique.
1. while i may have mentioned acupuncture point, you've failed to see where i was going with this.
2. striking a nerve or nerve bundle is a bit more general than striking or looking for an acupuncture point.
3. a robust technique involves knowledge of these areas and includes the whens why's and how's. this is why i mentioned that specific scenario.
4. someone with more than a cursory knowledge would not need to over think where these areas are located.....it comes with the territory.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You described a very high stress situation. Fine control goes out the window. Pulling off an accurate pressure point technique when "someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style" is highly optimistic. Add in the fact that, as we're often told, some percentage of the population is resistant (and they're over-represented among those who like to fight), and I don't see it as a high percentage move.

When you're being actively punded by someone who is holding you, hitting a pressure point is not something to count on. If your technique works even if you miss it, fine. If not...I'd be worried. Perhaps you're thinking of a technique where it's just a "bonus" if you get the pressure point. I have no quarrel with that.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
You described a very high stress situation. Fine control goes out the window. Pulling off an accurate pressure point technique when "someone has you by the scruff of the neck and they are pounding you hockey style" is highly optimistic. Add in the fact that, as we're often told, some percentage of the population is resistant (and they're over-represented among those who like to fight), and I don't see it as a high percentage move.

When you're being actively punded by someone who is holding you, hitting a pressure point is not something to count on. If your technique works even if you miss it, fine. If not...I'd be worried. Perhaps you're thinking of a technique where it's just a "bonus" if you get the pressure point. I have no quarrel with that.
i was a bouncer in a bar for 5 years.....i also practice shiatsu therapy, so i have a pretty decent background in anatomy and neuroanatomy. im not speaking of anything that i havent used in a situation before.
once again you are talking about accurate pressure point technique. what i am talking about is something that doesnt require one to be super accurate, but it does require something more than a cursory knowledge of the human body.
people develop a prejudice when something is ingrained into their way of thought, and they keep going back to that method of thinking. the idea is to take a different approach to the strikes.
people can practice over and over again to punch someone in the face, and do it with relative accuracy in a stressfull situation. why then cannot one practice a different method with the same relative accuracy with a more effective end result due to applying a different set of blueprints.
its all in the application.
the human body responds to stimulation that causes reflexive action, even if the person is drinking.......the reflex might not be as strong as it would be in a sober person, but it is still present.
working with pain compliance on the other hand presents a different set of problems. when a person is under the influence, their pain tolerance goes up......and in some cases, they seem to experience no pain at all. i learned this the hard way.
so the alternative route is to use a method that causes involuntary reflexive action.......it doesnt have to be a huge reflex, only one that can give you an advantage.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Pressure points that I see Mr. Dillman use in the martial magazines ads seems impressive. Can anyone learn them and apply it with ease? Is it that simple?

In kempo, some areas to strike(hit) is the soft parts of the body with the hard part of our body. Example chop to the biceps or ridge hand up to the triceps, or both. Many times the arm goes limp. Is this the same as hitting a pressure point? .......................Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Pressure points that I see Mr. Dillman use in the martial magazines ads seems impressive. Can anyone learn them and apply it with ease? Is it that simple?

PP's can't be learned through books, tapes or dvd. Like anything, especially PP's, you need to have some quality instruction and be willing to spend some time, not only learning how/where to hit, but how, if you KO the person, to revive them. In addition, hitting on a stationary person is one thing, hitting when someone is moving..much harder.

In kempo, some areas to strike(hit) is the soft parts of the body with the hard part of our body. Example chop to the biceps or ridge hand up to the triceps, or both. Many times the arm goes limp. Is this the same as hitting a pressure point? .......................Aloha

Yes, to a point. (LOL..no pun intended) Many of the FMA's such as Arnis and Kali use a gunting movement. Its commonly termed "Defanging the snake" and is used to hit a spot to deaden the arm. The bicep and tricep strikes that you mentioned are along the same lines. What you see Dillman doing is more along the lines of a KO than a limb destruction.

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I personally think that a good deal of our techniques already have these points being targeted w/in them...
I would propose that this is not just a coincidence...