Preach it Ted

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BTW we are allowed to own handguns, rifles, and shotguns up here. Fill in the paperwork, take the course and go buy whatever you want.

Whatever you want? That doesn't sound right. Even we have our Class III firearms that are tightly restricted. Canada has restricted, non-restricted and prohibited, yes?

As far as doing the paperwork and taking the course, the same could be said about Hawaii, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.

In Hawaii, the right denied, for all practical purposes. It exists on paper, but from what I hear you have to be very well connected politically to get a license.

In Massachusetts, rights are denied to the poor. (Say what??) Some towns will not issue. Other towns will issue if you hire an attorney to plead your case, or if you plan to carry. The attorney's fee when I lived there was over $500.00, which included the NRA class but may not have included any extra training (such as: on firearms you don't fire and don't intend to own) or supporting materials that the attorney thought would be necessary to convince the police chief. I would have been looking at about $1000.00 more or less, had I applied when I was there...of course, I lived in the "correct" city to exercise my right. Had I lived in a different city, I would have needed to finance my own relocation to said city before I could begin the legal process. $1000 for movers plus $2500 up front for first+security, that starts to look like real money, really fast.

In New Hampshire, it does not matter what town I live in, how much money I make, or how well connected I am.

Make sure you use it, store it and the ammo, as per the rules and you’re good.
And the rules are very restrictive, yes? Could I carry when out on the trail, or in the office alone, or when commuting home for 45 minutes late at night across a rural part of the state?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And yet, oddly, probably the most right-wing nation on the planet. A hard enigma to crack that.

You know, it's not so simple to throw it into box like that. We have one of the most wild and radical Constitutions on the planet. The more I learn about the history of my ancestors and why we left Germany and Poland, I bow down to these people and their foresight. Real European egalitarianism owes a great debt to the Founding Fathers of this country. I've been reading about the cross pollenization of these true Liberal ideas and the politics of Poland and Brazil and I am stunned by what an impact this must have made on the Old World.

My family name is Old World Gentry Poland. We were petty nobles in what was once East Prussia, Kiedrowice to be precise. Our family left when two gigantic police state autocracies, Russia and Germany, erased Poland from the map because we dared follow America's example. We came to the New World in order to escape the slavery of the Romanovs and the Prussians.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying and I would argue it just semantics, though you may disagree. We are allowed to have a driver’s, hunting, fishing, boaters, etc license, they are not rights. With your constitution, you have gun ownership as a right, I get that. Canada was founded on firearms too. only an idiot would go into the woods, settle land, or cross the country without protection and a means to hunt.

But in the end we have different perspectives.

BTW you could fire 3 maybe 4 shots from a musket in a minute, which was one of the reasons the British were dominate in Europe for so long.

Bloody noses twice? I know of once, if you’re referring to 1812, check again, even the most biased American text books call it a draw. :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Going from memory here.
You need a valid FAC for rifles and shotguns, a special permit for handguns, and a collectors permit for semi auto assault rifles, (not sure if that one is still valid). You can get a permit for carrying a handgun here, I don’t know the in’s and outs, but I do know it’s rare and extremely difficult to get, but they do exist.
I’ve never heard of anyone demanding open carry.
Honestly? Whatever. You guys have your ways, we have ours. Mexico has theirs, the UK has theirs, etc. I find it interesting is all. Many things for various reasons simply are not compatible cross border. All our countries have good points and bad points, and depending on where you are standing you view them with different glasses.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying and I would argue it just semantics, though you may disagree.

Yeah, we'll have to disagree on that one. It's so deeply embedded in our national psyche, it's nearly in the DNA. Kind of like "It's an American thing, you wouldn't understand." Not to be rude, just sayin'...

We are allowed to have a driver’s, hunting, fishing, boaters, etc license, they are not rights. With your constitution, you have gun ownership as a right, I get that. Canada was founded on firearms too. only an idiot would go into the woods, settle land, or cross the country without protection and a means to hunt.

It's just a creepy thing to even think about for me. I'm 'allowed'? ******** on that, sports fans. We tell the government what they're allowed to restrict, they don't tell us what we're allowed to do.

I'm not a huge Rush Limbaugh fan, so don't assume I listen to talk radio, but he coined a nice phrase when he referred to US culture as 'rugged individualism'. It's more than just words to us. We're individuals FIRST, members of society SECOND.

Sure do, but that's cool.

BTW you could fire 3 maybe 4 shots from a musket in a minute, which was one of the reasons the British were dominate in Europe for so long.

Could be, I'm no expert on muzzle-loading weapons.

Bloody noses twice? I know of once, if you’re referring to 1812, check again, even the most biased American text books call it a draw. :)

If it was a draw, we'd still be giving props to the Queen. It can't be a draw when we do not. It was a draw for Britain like Vietnam was a draw for us. When you're kicked the hell out, you lost. Even if you went on your own before getting your arses handed to you. Everything went back to the way it was before invasion; that's a win for the US. Same as Vietnam, which was a loss for the US. If you don't get to keep what you took, you lost.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying and I would argue it just semantics, though you may disagree. We are allowed to have a driver’s, hunting, fishing, boaters, etc license, they are not rights. With your constitution, you have gun ownership as a right, I get that. Canada was founded on firearms too. only an idiot would go into the woods, settle land, or cross the country without protection and a means to hunt.

I feel the need to interject. It's not merely semantics. It is the underlying philosophy from which we make our decisions. Things may be the same legally, but not be that way for the same reasons. The reasoning in the U.S. doesn't just underly gun ownership, but every legal decision that occurs here.

It's like the legal definition of homicide: the killing of another human being due to the act or omission of another. But not all homicides are criminal. What is the difference. The intent, ie. philosophy behind the action. Even though the results are the same, a dead human.

Your ability to own guns can be taken away at the whim of the government. Our (supposedly) can't. There is nothing that the government (supposedly) can do to take away our ability to legally own firearms without the abolition of the U.S. Constitution, ie., the will of the people. Legally anyway.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And bad people can get other nasty things that are capable of really screwing a person up. The bangers up here know full well that a $15.00 machete is easier to obtain than an $800.00 Glock.

A Glock for $800...!!!!!

You guys are getting screwed.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Glock for $800...!!!!!

You guys are getting screwed.

Tell me about it. The restrictive laws in Mass. drive up the prices not only in Mass. but the surrounding states too. Sucks.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
You think that is bad?
A GLOCK costs over 800 euros according to a quick google search.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You think that is bad?
A GLOCK costs over 800 euros according to a quick google search.

We can get them for $400 in Cali. But try to get semi-auto rifle (Cali legal) and you're paying $1800.

Wow!

Latest Discussions