Possible Injury?

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been working on my kicks this last week. My kicks have improved. My front kick is a lot faster and has more snap.

Question 1
Is it possible to have a kick with too much snap and injure your knee? Or is that from poor body mechanics? (Not pivoting, etc. etc.)

Question 2
Is there different types of front kicks? Thrusting front kick and Snapping Front kick? I think there is but I am not sure. Which one should I do in the Soghamn Forms ?

Question 3
Is one safer than the other for 500+ front kicks I do at home?

Thanks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Answer #1 it is most likely from poor body mechanics not from the actual kick.

Answer #2 I would see what your Instructor requires for his particular dojaang

Amswer#3 I personally do it both way for that number so I see no problem with either, if you are experiencing soreness from one or the other consult your doctor.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also think it's more possible you need to improve techniques than having an injury ;) but if you don't feel ok after some days maybe you should better visit a doctor.

and always ask your instructor or higher ranks to help you getting better kicks, etc.

good luck :D

Mr. Martin

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been working on my kicks this last week. My kicks have improved. My front kick is a lot faster and has more snap.

Question 1
Is it possible to have a kick with too much snap and injure your knee? Or is that from poor body mechanics? (Not pivoting, etc. etc.)

Question 2
Is there different types of front kicks? Thrusting front kick and Snapping Front kick? I think there is but I am not sure. Which one should I do in the Soghamn Forms ?

Question 3

Thanks

It is possible to hyper-extend your leg causing a knee injury during a front snap kick. But that is usually done by students trying to give 110 percent when they should only give 100 percent and not try to go outside their body's ability quite yet.

How do you do a thrusting kick?

The way I was taught is that a thrusting kick is like a push, it's a distancing tactic. It's good if your pushed into a corner and need to make some space for yourself.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Question 1

If you are kicking the air rather than a target, then it is entirely possible that you could hurt yourself; when kicking the air you want to stop just short of full extension - this is unnecessary when kicking a target, as that will keep you from the full extension (assuming, of course, that you're at the right distance).

Question 2

There are several - but being a practitioner of Ch'ang H'on TKD rather than Songham, there are some terminology differences that would confuse both of us... and anyway, I practice a different form set than you do, and so I can't give you a meaningful answer from my own experience. I agree with Terry - the correct version is whatever your instructor tells you it is.

Question 3

Thanks
Again, I can't say for sure how you do a snapping front kick as opposed to a thrusting front kick - but for either one, I would refer back to my first response. And again, I will agree with Terry - if it is something other than transient muscle soreness from overuse, you need to talk to a doctor, just in case.

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
RE Question # 1:

Your legs work as levers. The longer a lever is, the more work it does. Personally, I think people with long legs need to take care as the knee takes on more stress when they kick. I had to learn this by experience. Longer legged people have the same amount of time to kick as shorter legged people and this fast work is hard on the joints.

I think it is better to do fewer kicks well than a lot of kicks. Rest is a key component of training we often overlook. You can ice the knees for 20 minutes after practicing and that may help a lot. Also, you might want to work out 2 times a week on traditional gym equipment to strengthen the quads and hamstrings.

Happy training.

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Were you using your intuition? How did you know I have long legs? lol