Positive effects

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you or your school do to help the students have a positive feedback about the school? What is it that makes you standout and want people to join, I.E. competition, being flexible or just being so relaxe that everybody should be working out there.

I know for us it is being a succesful competition team, that has always helped us grow and we also have that familt feeling when you walk in, you know where everybody general cares about each other.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My club seems to push the angle that we are a very "traditional" tkd school. when I talk to new students and ask why they chose our school they usually say they were looking for a school that taught old school style , and I think that is the way our GM and chief instructor try to promote our school as they know that we cant offer the competition aspect that other wtf schools can.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school has 2 new students joining us in the next couple of days. In talking to them over the weekend at Cal State, 1 of the major reasons the parents gave as the reason for moving from their current school to ours is that they are very tired of the parental politics, backstabbing and just general badmouthing behind peoples backs that is going on at the current school.

Our school doesn't suffer from that sort of crapola.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[...]we also have that familt feeling when you walk in, you know where everybody general cares about each other.

That makes me miss my Dojang... (and yet, stuff keeps getting in the way)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two things for two different groups:
A positive climate and expectations, and quality instructors who work well with kids is the key for those who want the overall benefits of studying TKD.
A competitive team program with high level coaches suits a different group who want to grow that way.

We have people who join for either, but the first serves more people.

Carl

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school has 2 new students joining us in the next couple of days. In talking to them over the weekend at Cal State, 1 of the major reasons the parents gave as the reason for moving from their current school to ours is that they are very tired of the parental politics, backstabbing and just general badmouthing behind peoples backs that is going on at the current school.

Our school doesn't suffer from that sort of crapola.

That kind of stuff can kill a team(Gossip/Backbiting). I am glad we don't have that at Two Dragons. That is why our Master is very concerned with who he lets on the team. He is very liberal with those who want to train with us( for short periods of time) but getting on the team is another issue. It is very important on a competition team that you have the right chemistry and it doesn't take much to ruin it. We spend so much time together it is important the we get along.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use a little humor to relax the new student..

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you or your school do to help the students have a positive feedback about the school? What is it that makes you standout and want people to join, I.E. competition, being flexible or just being so relaxe that everybody should be working out there.

I know for us it is being a succesful competition team, that has always helped us grow and we also have that familt feeling when you walk in, you know where everybody general cares about each other.

Great topic!

At each guep test I ask the examinee what do they like most and least about training, what motivates them. I don't want to be someone who is trying to do everything for everyone, that's just a recipe for failure but it does help to know the motivation. For younger students, they generally like structured drills or sparring. Older students might enjoy poomsae or the social aspect of the dojang.

Latest Discussions