Poomse steps in sparring?

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever applied poomse moves in wtf sparring? If so, how? Which poomse did you reference?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends how you look at it. All the interpretations of Taegeuk ive found or made are way too close up to be used in sparring legally. I guess the moves taken in isolation are used by a little bit of everyone.

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends how you look at it. All the interpretations of Taegeuk ive found or made are way too close up to be used in sparring legally. I guess the moves taken in isolation are used by a little bit of everyone.

You are right, certain pieces cannot be legally used. However, would you expound on the pieces that work for you?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right, certain pieces cannot be legally used. However, would you expound on the pieces that work for you?
Literal uses in isolation. A low block found in Kibon is a low block in sparring. Stepping in slightly is something alot of people do anyway, and low blocks work for just about any body level kick. Therefore, the low block in Kibon with a step in can be a low block in sparring. Its only illegal or unusable at 'sparring range' when you look for proper interpretations other than isolated literal ones.

Expanding on the previous, of you step in and low block, usually youre close enough to punch them. Il Jang, moves 5-6/11-12: Low block > Extend, rear hand punch. Works fine. But if you take an actual interpretation of that, its not a block, and it cant be used in sparring legally.

So, any move taken in isolation from Taegeuk, will work in sparring.

ACJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[...] But if you take an actual interpretation of that, its not a block [...]

Well that's a bit of a broad statement. In no "actual" interpretation of that sequence is that a block? Sounds a bit like; my view is right, and yours is wrong; sort of attitude here. Especially given the history of the Taegueks and the methods with which they were designed, I'd actually wager that the "real" interpretation was in fact a low block was just a block, if not no interpretation at all.

Things that are like grabs, pulls, sweeps, escapes, etc. are post ad-hoc explanations that were in most instances not intended by the originators.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that's a bit of a broad statement. In no "actual" interpretation of that sequence is that a block? Sounds a bit like; my view is right, and yours is wrong; sort of attitude here. Especially given the history of the Taegueks and the methods with which they were designed, I'd actually wager that the "real" interpretation was in fact a low block was just a block, if not no interpretation at all.

Things that are like grabs, pulls, sweeps, escapes, etc. are post ad-hoc explanations that were in most instances not intended by the originators.

That was utter crap wording on my part. I wasnt really thinking :)
I meant that it can be interpreted either way. That was what i was trying to get at.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I do not practice the "new" poomse sets, and I practice the old JMA/OMA hyungs. The movements I practice in my forms, have no use in tournament style sparring. However, we do practice advanced sparring with throws, locks, sweeps, traps, etc.. . where movements, stances, etc. are very useful. I believe, folks like Iain Abernethy refer to it as "bunkai kumite?"

Latest Discussions