Favorite Poomse

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now, it's the 3 forms I'm working on for my black belt: Chulgi 1, Palsek, and Kuk Mu 5. It seems to change with each belt level. I liked the Pyong An sets, but now that I don't have to go over a new one, it's changed.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ITF - Kodang
WTF - Koyro

I've not heard of Kodang. Is it an upper BB form? I've done Po'Eun (sp?) & Ju Che (sp?), but I've not heard of that one. What's its meaning? (That's the cool thing w/ ITF folks. You can ask em what their form means & they actually know:) )

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've not heard of Kodang. Is it an upper BB form? I've done Po'Eun (sp?) & Ju Che (sp?), but I've not heard of that one. What's its meaning? (That's the cool thing w/ ITF folks. You can ask em what their form means & they actually know )

HEY NOW! I'm a WTFer from way back, at least 8 years ago and I know what my forms mean! :>)

Sorry... my spelling is atrocious; KoRyo - ancient name of Korea, means strong will and determination. (short definition).

Ko-dang - Korean leader who believed in education of the people and religious freedom. I'm not sure but I've heard that some schools don't teach it, seems that it may have been removed from ITF curriculum by General Choi in the '80s and replaced with Juche.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not heard of Kodang. Is it an upper BB form? I've done Po'Eun (sp?) & Ju Che (sp?), but I've not heard of that one. What's its meaning? (That's the cool thing w/ ITF folks. You can ask em what their form means & they actually know:) )

Thanks, I needed that... best laugh I've had all day... having just given a knowledge test to my color belt students as part of prep for testing next week... Fireman is correct, Ko-Dang was originally the third pattern in the 2nd Dan testing set, along with Eui-Am and Choong-Jan. You can find the movements and pattern history here, along with the other 24 ITF patterns - although Ko-Dang is considered a revenant pattern (historical leftover from the evolution of the art) as it was, as Fireman said, replaced with Juche. Many ITF-style organizations do both, many do one or the other - it depends on the organization. We do both. Ko-Dang is a fun pattern, one of the ones that falls under the "deceptively simple" heading, unlike Juche, which is physically challenging - especially the jump 180 degree hook kick to C while moving to D... which brings up the other use of Ko-Dang; even in organizations that don't typically do Ko-Dang, it is sometimes used as an alternate pattern for people who can't manage the jump kicks in Juche for physical reasons.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, I needed that... best laugh I've had all day... having just given a knowledge test to my color belt students as part of prep for testing next week... Fireman is correct, Ko-Dang was originally the third pattern in the 2nd Dan testing set, along with Eui-Am and Choong-Jan. You can find the movements and pattern history here, along with the other 24 ITF patterns - although Ko-Dang is considered a revenant pattern (historical leftover from the evolution of the art) as it was, as Fireman said, replaced with Juche. Many ITF-style organizations do both, many do one or the other - it depends on the organization. We do both. Ko-Dang is a fun pattern, one of the ones that falls under the "deceptively simple" heading, unlike Juche, which is physically challenging - especially the jump 180 degree hook kick to C while moving to D... which brings up the other use of Ko-Dang; even in organizations that don't typically do Ko-Dang, it is sometimes used as an alternate pattern for people who can't manage the jump kicks in Juche for physical reasons.

I'm glad I could bring you a good laugh, Kacey. My best friend & I learned Juche together (in the early 90's) from our instructor who lied about his affliation with the ITF & couldn't care less about tul. He made up names for techniques in the tul that he didn't understand. If I recall, there's a technique where you jump forward & do something like a catching block. As it was during the 1st Gulf War, he called it, "catch the Scud". Do ya know what technique I mean?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad I could bring you a good laugh, Kacey. My best friend & I learned Juche together (in the early 90's) from our instructor who lied about his affliation with the ITF & couldn't care less about tul. He made up names for techniques in the tul that he didn't understand. If I recall, there's a technique where you jump forward & do something like a catching block. As it was during the 1st Gulf War, he called it, "catch the Scud". Do ya know what technique I mean?
Um... from that description, it's hard to say... maybe if you look up the pattern movements or tell me what comes before or after it I could tell you which one it is; nothing is really ringing a bell right now. When I get home I'll go through it and see what I come up with; there's not enough room in my classroom.

Latest Discussions