Muay Thai in MMA

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least now you know that football is not a martial arts. And what Boxing organization (gasp) considers themselves a martial art organization?

Really? I hope the Mods are noting your behaviour on here, you are trolling as well as following me to other threads so you can post 'funny' on the rape posts.
You are off to ignoreland, we have enough boorish politicians here without me having to put up with you here.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well at least now you know that football is not a martial arts. And what Boxing organization (gasp) considers themselves a martial art organization?
Boxing skills = Punching. Jab, hooks, crosses, and other variations of these punches. These same techniques can be found in other fighting systems as well.

While martial arts is often the term that is used to apply to Eastern Asian fighting systems, it doesn't exclude western fighting systems or any other fighting system that uses strikes, weapons (non-mechanical), and grappling. I think I read somewhere that in early bare knuckle fighting (precursor to boxing) also included kicking and grappling. I don't know much about bare knuckle history, but based on the description one would probably say that it was closer to MMA fighting than modern boxing is.

Boxing organizations may not consider themselves as being martial arts, if their definition of martial arts is solely based on it meaning Eastern Asian fighting systems with kicking. Boxing organization also wouldn't consider themselves as martial arts because their focus is the sport of boxing. However, my guess is that the more boxing is utilized in MMA, the more likely boxing gyms will begin to reclassify themselves as being martial arts. Especially now that boxing is often integrated in progressive martial art schools and MMA gyms, that teach western Martial Arts.

If anything I expect that boxing coaches will probably find success with gaining students from Eastern Martial arts backgrounds as the successful use of boxing skills in MMA fights have help renew the energy for boxing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"MMA is the world's highest level of martial arts competition".

The UFC, currently represents the highest level of American MMA as well as worldwide.
I agree with this. May not always be the case, but the UFC represents the best chance for MMAists to make a lot of dough, become world famous (within the niche audience) and potentially parlay their MMA career into something more.

While I still think that the athletes are getting the short end of the stick, the UFC does pay some of their top talent very well. And anyone who is making a decent living in MMA owes much to the UFC for moving the sport out of the fringe and into mainstream society. Still not as popular as most other pro sports, MMA is generally considered a "real" sport. It receives coverage through all of the major media outlets, has recognized athletes and a unified rule set that is largely sanctioned world wide. And regardless of which promotion or perspective you support, that is largely due to the UFC juggernaut. (Of course, the systematic creation of what amounts to a global monopoly isn't that great).

HAS it always been the case? No. Promotions like Pride were stride for stride with UFC for many years. But the corruption within that promotion led to its eventual demise.

Will this always be the case? Maybe not. Maybe another promotion can rise to challenge the UFC for top quality fighters and decent events.

But, all of that having been said, it's hard for us who like MMA and are fans to understand that most people don't give a rip about it at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the list of Forums on MartialTalk under the title 'Boxing and kickboxing is this description of boxing "Boxing, the noble art of pugilism is a sport and martial art in which two participants fight each other with their fists." so guess I'm not the only one here who thinks boxing is a martial art.

then there's this Boxing is a Martial Art
no 7 https://blog.udemy.com/top-10-martial-arts/
Boxing - Martial Arts Style - Black Belt Wiki

There's plenty more of course and there's those who say boxing isn't a martial art but the point is enough people consider it to be a martial art that is negates the argument that only I do.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider boxing a martial art, absolutely. Think you are a bad-mamajama with the ninja-chop, kung-fu kick and Captain Kirk throw? Well then, head on up to a boxing gym and grab some headgear (you'll need it) and hop in the ring with one of those sweaty monsters who have been steadily boxing training for as little as a year and then tell me, after you get up, if you think it isn't martial in application. Oh, yeah... no umpire or ref, just "training."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I consider boxing a martial art, absolutely. Think you are a bad-mamajama with the ninja-chop, kung-fu kick and Captain Kirk throw? Well then, head on up to a boxing gym and grab some headgear (you'll need it) and hop in the ring with one of those sweaty monsters who have been steadily boxing training for as little as a year and then tell me, after you get up, if you think it isn't martial in application. Oh, yeah... no umpire or ref, just "training."

And is one of the oldest martial arts.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
While I still think that the athletes are getting the short end of the stick, the UFC does pay some of their top talent very well. .

I agree with this. While I also recognize how much risks and hard work that the Owners of the UFC has put into this, due to their *real* love for the sport...to the tune of $10 million of their own cash at a certain point, to keep the UFC afloat.....the Fighters are still getting somewhat underpaid. Although Boxers at the mid to low levels also don't make much neither. The life of a fighter is rough, no doubt. There's an excellent documentary on this on YouTube.

The good news for the fighters is, Connor McGregor. He's actually turning himself into the same, self-promotion model similar to Mayweather and this will help all fighters as a whole, I think.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the list of Forums on MartialTalk under the title 'Boxing and kickboxing is this description of boxing "Boxing, the noble art of pugilism is a sport and martial art in which two participants fight each other with their fists." so guess I'm not the only one here who thinks boxing is a martial art.

then there's this Boxing is a Martial Art
no 7 https://blog.udemy.com/top-10-martial-arts/
Boxing - Martial Arts Style - Black Belt Wiki

There's plenty more of course and there's those who say boxing isn't a martial art but the point is enough people consider it to be a martial art that is negates the argument that only I do.

Yea, you and a few people who aren't even pure Boxers.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

No, it is the pure Boxers, who usually don't want to call themselves such Kung-Fooey Martial Artists.