OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur.

So, other than people just not running (I doubt you'll ever change that), what would you LEOs like to see change? Are there other tools out there you can use?

There is always this. Not sure of the success rate of it though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard the old timers talk about it...One wrong tap and the car spins outta control..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard the old timers talk about it...One wrong tap and the car spins outta control..

Looks like its only suggested at low speeds.

The PIT is not applicable in every situation. Typical police policy is not to attempt the PIT at greater than 35 miles per hour (55 kilometers per hour).

Additionally, you're also risking alot of damage to the cruiser. I don't recall ever hearing about it being used in CT. I'm guessing the spikes are the main thing thats used.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is always this. Not sure of the success rate of it though.
I've seen videos of this technique used to successfully halt the vehicle without damage and in some cases minimal damage to the driver, officer, surrounding scene. I notice in the link it does state that the PIT technique is not recommended at speeds in excess of 35mph nor for vans, mini-vans, SUVs, etc. It's a great technique, but what about those high-speed chases?

Eric Deveau

White Belt
Reaction score
I replied to part of the thread so if it double posts my apologies
Chris Rock's PSA if the cops have to chase you they're bringing an *** whuppin along sums it up "We call it contempt of Cop"
Make me work like that for your stupidity it could happen
It is unfortunate that in this litiguous society it never comes back to the idiot factor it is the "training factor" Why did the cops oh sorry "Police Officers" do it that way "ARE THEY NOT TRAINED TO DO IT ANOTHER WAY"
Training don't get me started
oops to late ;-)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a pursuit here where the driver was doing 80 + within the city limits. The cops got his plate, then backed off and arrested him the next day.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Department I work for, we are authorized to use the PIT manuever at our discretion. We are trained in it and get retrainings periodically. As we train it, we do not attempt it at speeds greater than 45 mph and do not do it in an area where causing the suspect vehicle to spin out will be likely to cause injury to bystanders. It has a great success rate when done right. It is not difficult and it is NOT just smashing into the other car. It reminds me of judo or aikido in that you blend with the other car to a degree then just nudge it in the rear panel and send it in the direction of the PIT. In training before actually using the PIT, we practices doing touch and go's with the rabbit car. We also practice having trail cars cover the suspect car after it spins. I have not had a need to use it in the field, but as a department, almost every time an officer has judged it appropriate, it has worked well. Doesn't do much damage to either car if done right.

Other things we use in chases are stop sticks, though not every car, maybe two or three to a squad, has them. Moving road blocks with three cars. Most of our practice is with three cars, as our policy allows up to three units on a pursuit.

We actually had an incident just like the one described about a month ago. Guy on a stolen motorcycle. Officer attempted to stop for speed. Guy runs. It is late at night so he chases for awhile. As they get close to the city lines, officer decides to break off pursuit (Or a supervisor might have nixed it, don't recall.) Suspect, still traveling at high rate of speed, encounters SHP and county units working a wreck just down the road and loses control of the bike. The suspect comes off and hits the pavement, the bike keeps going and hits a fireman on scene. Fireman goes to the hospital but is not too bad off. In our case, suspect lived, and after a trip to the hospital, went to jail.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First -- I think that Justice Scalia covered why police need to pursue pretty well:
we are loath to lay down a rule requiring the police to allow fleeing suspects to get away whenever they drive so recklessly that they put other people’s lives in danger. It is obvious the perverse incentives such a rule would create: Every fleeing motorist would know thatescape is within his grasp, if only he accelerates to 90miles per hour, crosses the double-yellow line a few times,and runs a few red lights. The Constitution assuredlydoes not impose this invitation to impunity-earned-by-recklessness. Instead, we lay down a more sensible rule: A police officer’s attempt to terminate a dangerous high-speed car chase that threatens the lives of innocent by-standers does not violate the Fourth Amendment, even when it places the fleeing motorist at risk of serious injuryor death.
Scott v Harris, 550 U.S. ____

Or, to paraphrase the Bible: The guilty flee even when no one is chasing.

Police officers and their supervisors must judge whether or not a particular pursuit is warranted in light of the risk to the public of the pursuit versus the risk to the public of either permitting criminal behavior generally to go unpunished, or letting a particular offender get away. It's not easy. It's generally done in the heat of the moment. But pursuits are necessary, and the best people to judge the risks are the ones on or close to the scene. Like any use of force, it's not as pretty as the movies.

Second -- regarding the PIT, under it's various definitions (Pursuit Intervention Technique, Precision Immobilization Technique, and others), it's the same thing. It's a controlled impact on the fleeing vehicle in such a way as to deprive the driver of control of the car. Done at appropriate speeds, by reasonably trained drivers, it does almost no damage to either vehicle, is very predictable, and carries a very low risk of injury to the fleeing car. I know of at least one incident where the same driver was PITted repeatedly because they simple gathered their wits, and drove off in the new direction! The technique can be learned by a decent & trained driver in a very short time. And it's actually pretty fun... on the track! (I actually like going on the ride more than doing the PIT!) But it's not something that's right in every case. You can't PIT a motorcycle, for instance. Stop sticks/spike strips are also great, in their place. But they don't stop a car; they only encourage the driver to stop themselves by deflating the tires in a controlled manner. There is no simple solution; even if we had a magic kill switch installed in every car -- it'd have to enable a controlled stop. Few people today realize how much they rely on power steering and power breaks -- at least until they lose them unexpectedly!

Latest Discussions