Police Pursuits

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently here in CT., there was a police pursuit of a stolen M/V. The driver, a 16 yo female, had stolen the vehicle in Wethersfield. The officer chased the car into Newington and broke it off, just over the New Britian line. Shortly thereafter, the car crashed into a tree and caught on fire, resulting in the death of the driver. According to the Chief of Police in Wethersfield, he stated:

James Cetran, Wethersfield's police chief, said the officer followed the department's policy on pursuits when he backed off the chase in New Britain after realizing it had gone on too long and far.

"We have a specific policy on pursuits, and from what I can see, the officer followed the policy to a T," Cetran said.

Of course, as always, the family puts the blame on the police, rather than asking why this girl stole the car in the first place. Her Grandmother states:

"Why did the cops have to make her go fast? Why did he keep chasing her?" Gervais said.

Here is the link to the news paper story. Here is the link to the pursuit policy for the state.

Now, as always, none of us were there, so the best we can go off of is what has been reported. Also keep in mind that each state will have a policy that varies from one to the next. Keep in mind that each dept. in the state of CT. may slightly vary the policy, as long as it does not conflict with whats already stated. This is stated in the policy. In addition, regardless of what the policy states, the on-duty supervisor reserves the right to terminate the pursuit even if the guidelines are being followed.

So, my question is this: What are your thoughts on police pursuits? Should they be modified? Should they be done away with all together, except under certain circumstances?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The police really have no ideal who is behind that stolen car and for what reason. For all they know this person could have killed someone and stole the vehicle to get away. To many unknown for the officer to know. All the police can do is there jobs to the best of there abilities.
This is my thought anyway.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, my question is this: What are your thoughts on police pursuits? Should they be modified? Should they be done away with all together, except under certain circumstances?

Speaking ONLY for myself..Both of the departments I work for have VERY STRICT pursuit policys, in some cases an OIC will tell officers to break off the pursuit rather than endanger the public..The roll out spikes have been a big help in preventing fatalities and should be standard issue in EVERY cruiser..NO, I am against banning prusuit policies..That's ALL the crminals need to learn is that cops will no longer chase them...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Why did the cops have to make her go fast? Why did he keep chasing her?" Gervais said.

Hey grandma, she didn't have to go fast. She could have stopped and been taken to jail. Which would suck, but not as badly as dying in a fire.

I wonder who "made" her steal the car in the first place?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A good question...and WHY didn't she stop when the cops fired up the lights and siren????

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking ONLY for myself..Both of the departments I work for have VERY STRICT pursuit policys, in some cases an OIC will tell officers to break off the pursuit rather than endanger the public..The roll out spikes have been a big help in preventing fatalities and should be standard issue in EVERY cruiser..
Unfortunately, where I work, I do not believe every car has the spike strips. I say this, because usually when its decided upon to use them, we hear everyone in the field asking who has them. The times when they have been used, the success rate has been good, although there are those times when the fleeing car attempts to still drive, despite a flat tire. LOL! Go figure.

I am against banning prusuit policies..That's ALL the crminals need to learn is that cops will no longer chase them...

I agree. There have been a rash of bank robberies in the area lately. The guy uses a motorcycle as his get away vehicle. Last month, I was working a day shift. About 3:30pm, a robbery took place in the other town I dispatch for. There is a highway nearby, so obviously that was his route. He was chased for quite a few miles, with speeds reaching approx. 100mph. I honestly was surprised it went on for as long as it did, before one of the Capts. broke it off. High risk for injury at that speed and time of day on that stretch of road? Yes. Personally, I'd have rather seen them go a bit longer, until another dept. or state police could've picked up where we left off. Interestingly enough, 17 min later, he robbed another bank. The guy has stones. I should also note the guy displays a gun while doing these robberies.

But you're right...if they know it'll be broken off at a certain time, thats all it takes. Reach that speed, chase is terminated, they get away.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Criminals thrive on the indulgences of society..I chased a mini van once that almost collided with my vehicle..This woman went 75mph up a residental street mindless of the kids playing in the area, a total lack of reguard for public safety...I activated my lights and siren and chased..According to policy I have to slow down at every intersection and red light to insure the is no cross traffic..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey grandma, she didn't have to go fast. She could have stopped and been taken to jail. Which would suck, but not as badly as dying in a fire.

A good question...and WHY didn't she stop when the cops fired up the lights and siren????

I was asking myself the same thing when I read the article this morning. So, she shoplifted 2 weeks ago and was afraid of going to jail. So....her stealing a car is helping her how Gram? I mean really, I'm no expert on law, but I'm sure the most that would've happened on the shoplifting charge would possibly be a fine, community service or chances are, it'd get thrown out. I've seen worse things get nollied in court.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen worse things get nollied in court.

Same here..At least the woman I chased had no privledges, borrowed the van, the passenger in the front had a warrant and the juvie in the back was on probation...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same here..At least the woman I chased had no privledges, borrowed the van, the passenger in the front had a warrant and the juvie in the back was on probation...

Gotta love it when you not only get the original bad guy, but bonus ones!!! :ultracool

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fleeing in a vehicle should be a felony punishable by many years in prison (or execution).

Having had to chase a few shoplifters I now believe that fleeing on foot should be subject to: "If you run, you get lumps."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oooh! Good timing. The other night I wondered about using spike strips against a fleeing motorcylcist. Any of you LEO's know about that? From my layman's view, it seems like at almost any speed, using spike strips against a motorcyclist would be a sure way to have a hospitalized suspect.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooh! Good timing. The other night I wondered about using spike strips against a fleeing motorcylcist. Any of you LEO's know about that? From my layman's view, it seems like at almost any speed, using spike strips against a motorcyclist would be a sure way to have a hospitalized suspect.

They are NOT used on motorcycles...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gotta love it when you not only get the original bad guy, but bonus ones!!! :ultracool

Plus it took them 3 hrs to inventory all the stolen merchandise in the back of the van..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fleeing in a vehicle should be a felony punishable by many years in prison (or execution).

Having had to chase a few shoplifters I now believe that fleeing on foot should be subject to: "If you run, you get lumps."

To quote that Chris Rock video, "How To Not Get Your *** Kicked By The Police!"....If the police have to come and get you, they're bringing an *** kicking with them! **Caution- Adult Language***

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh guys. You LEOs, I really hope you know how much I respect the work you do and that I don't envy you your jobs at all.

*sigh*

I grew up in So Cal where almost every month (sometimes more often) there was a high-speed chase and it go to the point where the officers would get close enough to pull off a shot to the head or upper torso of the offending driver and do so ending the chase and oftentimes the driver's life. I remember being appalled at the idea since in most cases the person was being pulled over for a moving violation and were not under suspicion of any felony per se. And I still squirm at remembering this.

But I have to admit I also squirm at remembering the strollers, eldlerly, innocent bystanders who were struck by these idiots doing 100+ on the grid.

Loss of any life in pursuit is never great for anybody in my opinion. But what in the world can the police do when the suspect is careening out of control into a tree or lamp post? Throw their own vehicle in front?

Spike strips are a great idea if you can get ahead of the driver but that's not always possible and I've seen video of people driving on bare rims before as well.

I don't know that there's anything better to use than a remote-controlled kill switch on the vehicle to force it to stop in a safer fashion and I wonder if our society would pass legislation on mandatory installation in every vehicle?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was asking myself the same thing when I read the article this morning. So, she shoplifted 2 weeks ago and was afraid of going to jail. So....her stealing a car is helping her how Gram? I mean really, I'm no expert on law, but I'm sure the most that would've happened on the shoplifting charge would possibly be a fine, community service or chances are, it'd get thrown out. I've seen worse things get nollied in court.

I see police chases on tv all the time where they finally pull the guy over and it turns out he ran because he had unpaid parking tickets or something. Dude, you're going to PMITA prison over parking tickets!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that there's anything better to use than a remote-controlled kill switch on the vehicle to force it to stop in a safer fashion and I wonder if our society would pass legislation on mandatory installation in every vehicle?

I don't see that happening...Too many concerns about becoming a Police Run state..

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see that happening...Too many concerns about becoming a Police Run state..
I concur.

So, other than people just not running (I doubt you'll ever change that), what would you LEOs like to see change? Are there other tools out there you can use?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur.

So, other than people just not running (I doubt you'll ever change that), what would you LEOs like to see change? Are there other tools out there you can use?

Aside from STRONGER penalties for those that do, even the first time offenders I cannot think of anything else that could not be perverted into a tool by criminals ...

Latest Discussions