The human animal?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are humans animals? If so, why? If not why? If we are animals, how does this make us behave? If we are not animals, how does this make us behave?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir, GREAT questions, although I think it is necessary to define the term "animal" in clear terms....

I would say that in terms of a biological point of view, we are animals. Highly evolved animals, but still animals. We are mammals, we can obviously trace our evolution from traditional animals (no one would argue that an ape is an animal), we have basic survival and breeding instincts...

I think that word animal has some different conotations though. Some people view the term animal as somehow inferior or savage. I would argue that humans are more savage than most wild creatures.

So basically, in my opinion, no matter which definition you use, Humans are animals. Some animals eat their young, but they do it to survive. Humans do stuff like that, but have the moral compass to know that it is wrong - or at least have the capability to know that it is wrong.

"1 : any of a kingdom (Animalia) of living things including many-celled organisms and often many of the single-celled ones (as protozoans) that typically differ from plants in having cells without cellulose walls, in lacking chlorophyll and the capacity for photosynthesis, in requiring more complex food materials (as proteins), in being organized to a greater degree of complexity, and in having the capacity for spontaneous movement and rapid motor responses to stimulation
2 a : one of the lower animals as distinguished from human beings b : [SIZE=-1]MAMMAL[/SIZE]; broadly : [SIZE=-1]VERTEBRATE[/SIZE]
3 : a human being considered chiefly as physical or nonrational; also : this nature"

Even Merriam Webster isn't quite sure.... :)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's interesting that the dictionary ignores what biologists have been saying for 100 years. Evolution doesn't produce highly evolved animals. Every single animal that exists right now has evolved exactly the same amount of time as any other animal. Further, every single animal has evolved a degree of specialization within the niche that they survive that is equal to every other animal. Our social behavior is just another trait.

Now for something a bit more lighthearted...

Humans!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is the wiki on humans. Interesting.

Humans, or human beings, are bipedal primates belonging to the mammalian species Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man") in the family Hominidae (the great apes).[1][2] Compared to other living organisms on Earth, humans have a highly developed brain capable of abstract reasoning, language, and introspection. This mental capability, combined with an erect body carriage that frees their upper limbs for manipulating objects, has allowed humans to make far greater use of tools than any other species. DNA evidence indicates that modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago,[3] and they now inhabit every continent, with a total population of over 6.6 billion as of 2007.[4]

Like most primates, humans are social by nature; however, humans are particularly adept at utilizing systems of communication for self-expression, the exchange of ideas, and organization. Humans create complex social structures composed of cooperating and competing groups, ranging in scale from small families and partnerships to species-wide political, scientific and economic unions. Social interactions between humans have also established an extremely wide variety of traditions, rituals, ethics, values, social norms, and laws which form the basis of human society. Humans also have a marked appreciation for beauty and aesthetics which, combined with the human desire for self-expression, has led to cultural innovations such as art, literature and music.

Humans are also noted for their desire to understand and influence the world around them, seeking to explain and manipulate natural phenomena through science, philosophy, mythology and religion. This natural curiosity has led to the development of advanced tools and skills; humans are the only known species to build fires, cook their food, clothe themselves, and use numerous other technologies.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive often wondered.

We obviously share MANY biological similarities with all mamals. Our body sysyems are more similar than different. Nervous, muscular, digestive, etc. etc.

What I find interesting is that when you look at ALL other species. While they may all have different behavioral/social behaviors, they are more similar than dissimilar when looked at a whole. If laid out on a scale, they may vary but not all that much. Humans though, our development in communication, organization, technology etc. is so vasty dissimilar from the rest of the animal kingdom that we can debate if we are animals at all. Why is that? With all the other species out there with similar "raw material" to work with, why are there no other species even close in evolution to humans? And in the timeline of human evolution that scientists believe in, our present development was a fairly abrupt and recent thing.

Was it God? Alien tinkering with our DNA? I can see where all the fiction/belief of "Ancient Spacemen" originates from.

Interesting topic.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the answer to that question lies here. Humans are using the entire planet as a niche. There are many other planets out there. In biologic terms we are a "weed species" because we are highly adaptable and ubiquitous. I've often had the thought, if we humans kill ourselves off, would another weed species arise to take our place? Or is the evolution of species that are capable of civilization and rational thought a rare thing?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think MBuzzy has largely hit my answer with his, so I'll try not to repeat too much - but I am going to go back to the original questions, so I might repeat some.

Are humans animals? If so, why? If not why?

Yes, I believe so - members of the order mammalia. This is neither good nor bad - it simply is. Too many people reject the concept of human as animal because they see that as a step down from humanity - I disagree.

If we are animals, how does this make us behave? If we are not animals, how does this make us behave?

This is a very interesting question. That we are animals - organic beings with physical responses to stimuli - is the basis of our being, and is used by many as a basis for understanding how people act, react, and and interact, and is also used by many as a basis for changing how people act, react, and interact. However, I think that as animals become more evolved, in the sense that more evolved, or complex, animals are more aware of their environment, and that awareness can modify reactions to the environment - the supposed difference between humans and other animals is that they act on the environment rather than reacting to the environment. This fundamental difference is, I think, why psychology is so complex - because humans act on their environment in so many ways that current behavioral theory is not sufficient to account for all the variables.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the answer to that question lies here. Humans are using the entire planet as a niche. There are many other planets out there. In biologic terms we are a "weed species" because we are highly adaptable and ubiquitous. I've often had the thought, if we humans kill ourselves off, would another weed species arise to take our place? Or is the evolution of species that are capable of civilization and rational thought a rare thing?

You beat me to it. What sets us apart is our lack of specialization in survival terms. We can kill/harvest/eat just about anything. If its a bird/lizard/mamal we can hunt and eat it. There are many species that are so specialized on one prey animal or plant type that they couldnt survive without them and have evolved in tandem with them.

If there are other planets that we could breathe on, and we could get to them, I think we COULD populate them. We are like weeds in that respect.

And what was the factor that made us so different from everything else on the planet?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what was the factor that made us so different from everything else on the planet?

I don't believe we have yet determined the fact that we are so very different from everything else on the planet.

We are adaptive, but so are other animals. Before us, it was the great lizards. After us, it is hypothesized that it will be the insect.

While 'man' has walked erect on this planet for somewhere between 2 and 4 million years, it is only the last 11,000 years or so, in which our societies have become recognizable to us. Approximately 11,000 years ago, agriculuture was born.

Prior to agriculture, all human societies were like those we observe on National Geographic Television in the Austrailian outback (aboriginies) or Dark Africa (pygmies).

With the rise of agriculture, our species was able to begin to develop specialization. Prior to cultivation of plants, we were hunter gathers. Too much time was spent travelling and capturing nourishment to pay attention to specializations and leisure.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Theres a difference between dominance in numerical superiority and "quality" (for lack of a better, unsubjective word).

We can change/alter the environment but are not "so different" from other animals? I dont believe that. Many humans have proven "worse" than animals in that they can intentionally cause pain and suffering to others for no other reason than wanting to. But the human capacity for things like building, communications, tech (which other animals do to to lesser degrees) is so "amplified" in comparison. Why have Apes, which share what , 98-99% of our DNA stalled out?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Theres a difference between dominance in numerical superiority and "quality" (for lack of a better, unsubjective word).

We can change/alter the environment but are not "so different" from other animals? I dont believe that. Many humans have proven "worse" than animals in that they can intentionally cause pain and suffering to others for no other reason than wanting to. But the human capacity for things like building, communications, tech (which other animals do to to lesser degrees) is so "amplified" in comparison. Why have Apes, which share what , 98-99% of our DNA stalled out?

I don't believe the homo sapiens can alter or change the environment. At least not on an individual, intentional level. We have the ability to adapt to the environment around us. We can build shelters or add layers of clothing, but we haven't been terribly successful at altering a drought into temperate climate. (stop the irrigation in Las Vegas, and it will be almost unihabitable in a matter of weeks.)

Man has been able to alter the environment in unintentional ways. The burning of fossil fuels is certainly changing the atmosphere. The dumping of chemicals into rivers cause them to catch fire in the late 60's and early 70's.

It would be nice if we were able to alter the environment with intention. Then we could stop Global Climate Change.

Humans have shown to be far more adept at building tools than other species on the planet. Use of those tools have allowed us to appear superior in 'quality', or to be 'worse', than other species. Other species practice warfare (territorial conflicts), only they haven't figured out gunpowder yet.

I believe that many of the differences between humans and other species is more a matter of degree, than intent.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Are humans animals? If so, why? If not why? If we are animals, how does this make us behave? If we are not animals, how does this make us behave?

In response to the original question:

I believe humans are animal. It would be hard to debate otherwise. Does our higher level of cognitive function entitle us to the title of "non-animal"? How does this make us behave? Like any other animal- we live to survive, and ensure the survival of our species. In general, we desire to eat to ensure daily survival, and breed to ensure continuity of the species!

It's simple- we've just all made everything a hell of a lot more complex than other animals. It is funny though- this increased complexity has occurred as a byproduct of our accomplishments in making life simple. If you look at animal behaviour- it is all related back to an underlying desire to survive.

Also- I really like that term 'weed species'. It is so true of the human race. We have radically consumed and consumed and consumed- until our population is at levels unprecedented in known history. However- would other species of animals, given the means, have replicated the growth of the human species? Is it solely human nature, or animal nature, to become a 'weed' which spreads and consumes? It may be that all species are 'weed species'!!! We just developed the means to spread faster than anyone else. Let's hope nobody starts spraying herbicide...

:)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UpNorth - I apologize if this creates unwanted conflict...

I was just curious - does a creationist point of view alter people's perception as to whether or not humans are animals?

I realize that this is a very controversial question, but a cornerstone of my thinking and it seems some others, is that we are members of the evolutionary chain. Therefore, if we are the result of intelligent design, does that somehow set us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom (aside from the obvious, self awareness, opposable thumbs, imagination, etc)?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing that makes humans fundamentally different that I can see is we appear to be the only, or among the only, predatory species that intentionally preys upon itself.
Chimps will do that. Mice, rats, and cats etc too if the population gets high enough relative to the environment's ability to satisfy survival needs.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The only thing that makes humans fundamentally different that I can see is we appear to be the only, or among the only, predatory species that intentionally preys upon itself.

Infanticide has been documented in pretty much every animal kingdom and specifically among mammalian predator species such as bears, lions, and dolphins.

Lamont

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have 2 choices when it comes to classification. We are either Humans, a kind of animal, or we are a figment of our own imagition. Which reminds me of a quote. "Today a young man cross training in shoot fighting realised that all matter is simply energy condensed to a slower vibration, that we are all one conciousness experienceing itself subjectivly, and that there is no death for life is only an illusion". Cann't remember who said that, but you get the idea.

Now then, this question also arises other questions. Though, unintentionly. For instence, we are animals, animals talk to each other (my cat and dog seem to have atleast some understanding of each other), why cann't we talk to the animals? I know, it sounds rather Dr. Dolittle, but you get my point. Communication of one of the only things that is almost an inter-species constant. And most animals seem to be able to 'talk' to each other.
Does this mean that we could talk to animals also? Or that at some point in the past, we were able to? Does this also mean we have lost our inate conection to the earth, to Giai herself? Doesn't this mean that we have lost our concection to God?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't think that is a true statement. If we preyed upon members of our species, then that would emply cannibalism, which is a major no-no in most of the world. Would I say we're almost completely self destructive, yes.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Now then, this question also arises other questions. Though, unintentionly. For instence, we are animals, animals talk to each other (my cat and dog seem to have atleast some understanding of each other), why cann't we talk to the animals? I know, it sounds rather Dr. Dolittle, but you get my point. Communication of one of the only things that is almost an inter-species constant. And most animals seem to be able to 'talk' to each other.
Does this mean that we could talk to animals also? Or that at some point in the past, we were able to? Does this also mean we have lost our inate conection to the earth, to Giai herself? Doesn't this mean that we have lost our concection to God?

You must have broke out the good stuff for a Sunday. :D

Latest Discussions