Point Fighting: Is it truly Karate?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A sports element is a pretty important development though. Otherwise you can't interact with other people in any sort of evolutionary manner.

You don't test for long enough and chi balls start to sound reasonable.

You say that like the chi balls don't work. Where have you been? Ever heard of George Dillman? He proved them. Time and time again. He even did it to a line of people in Starbucks. What more do you want? Didn't you see the half-moons in his fingernails?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You say that like the chi balls don't work. Where have you been? Ever heard of George Dillman? He proved them. Time and time again. He even did it to a line of people in Starbucks. What more do you want? Didn't you see the half-moons in his fingernails?

They only work in the ring. So therefore do not work in the street.

robal

White Belt
Reaction score
Robal, the person in those videos is certainly a Machido but it's Lyoto's brother Shinzo winning. Nor is it 'point karate'. 10th Funakoshi Gichin Cup World Karate-do Championships Tournament—match results here!

The world championship referred to in your post says "2006 Sydney Australia." The Tournament in the video I posted says Brazil, 2005.

And that is definitely point competition. Judges with flags, the judges attire etc are all standard in Japanese point comp. Point kumite ranges from anything from no contact to light (touch) contact. At times it may get a bit harder depending on the specific tournament. Ever look back at the old Japanese tournaments and the contact there? Including face.

Take a look at this....and this is tame for the time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol....got me. And I double checked my spelling. So much for that.
I meant "pointing out." your mistake. Not pouting. :)

You still edited your post though.

robal

White Belt
Reaction score
You still edited your post though.

Edited? How? On which post? What was edited? I'm missing your point. What is it you're getting at? That "possibly" I may have fixed a misspelled word...lmao. Nothing is edited. Doesn't matter anyway. My point remains the same. But you haven't addressed your mistakes. That's fine.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Were some posts deleted from the thread? I see a few responses quoting TEAM ALPHA BEAST, but the original posts seem to have vanished.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Were some posts deleted from the thread? I see a few responses quoting TEAM ALPHA BEAST, but the original posts seem to have vanished.
Was thinking the same thing has he worked out how to delete posts or something lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just had a quick search of the site. The guys completely vanished from the site...even his post I replied on and my replies to it aren't there...strange

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been banned by the looks of it.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here in Okinawa they refer to it as sport karate. There is also Dento Karate (traditional karate). Most if not all dojo today even here practice both. There is a differentiation between the two for what should be obvious reasons to most practitioners today. Unfortunately though, more and more dojo focus on the sport aspect and neglect the traditional training more and more. Just my personal observations on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have a few training partners that make it around the karate point fighting tourney circuit and I have gone to cheer them on. At the last tourney, I was faced with this dilemma: by the way the combatants move and the way the tourney was scored, I began to wonder whether or not it is truly karate-do.

I practiced free style sparring in my dojo every Saturday for many years, with the understanding that this was mimicking combat in the street, and to a degree it was. The free-style practiced at these point fighting tourneys could potentially get someone hurt in real life if they used these techniques in a self defense situation. To me, their movements were a glorified game of tag.

I guess my takeaway was that I couldn't tell if this was truly karate-do, but if not, what constitutes karate-do?

What are your thoughts on this?

Point fighting allows martial artists to demonstrate the accuracy of techniques learned while also practicing the ability to defend against executed techniques. Point sparring alone doesn't make Karate but integrating other elements along with point sparring like Katas make up Karate as it involves correct form and technique.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka.... that made me laugh...

Who remembers the pic (probably more than one) of Master Hee Il Cho nailing the canvas hanging heavy bag with the jump-spinning side kick and the filling just exploding out the other side... NICE! Talk about a dude to want to emulate... That bag was probably a 60-80 lb bag and he was just destroying it.... Awesome!

On point-fighting. It is specialized tag,and no more. If you practice all the time, and your goal is simply to get good at point-fighting, no worries, go for it. Just don't be deluded, as such delusions are dangerous, both to you and to people who you might think you can protect.

If you think it is actually karate, and valid as a self defense skillset, or fighting method, I would nvite you to look up the next Kyokushin and try out said skillset there, in that venue. I can absolutely promise you that you will find it... educational.

As with other things in life, training full-power has it's place. Everything in moderation. Put on the big pads, complete head protection, perhaps even some rib protection, hand and footgear, and get after it. Just be prepared to feel sore as heck the next day, if you were doing it right with someone close to your own skill level.

But, don't train that way every day, either. You can lose a month or more if you crack a single rib, and that happens Easy. The loss in training time from injuries costs much more than simply cycling it up and down.

Haven't been on this thread for a while. And should probably just shut the F up.

I do not like Hee Il Cho. Fought in some tourneys with him back in the day. Don't particularly care for his students back then, either. Not one little bit. Yeah, I know, shouldn't talk bad about anybody.

I do not care in this case. Not even a little bit.

That was a great pic, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP3

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not like Hee Il Cho. Fought in some tourneys with him back in the day. Don't particularly care for his students back then, either. Not one little bit. Yeah, I know, shouldn't talk bad about anybody.

That was a great pic, though.

Man, I wasn't commenting on the guy's character, just the pic. Not trying to bring you back to a bad place. Keep in mind, that guy just exuded Korean-ness.... as in the guy from the Remo Williams/Destroyer series of books and movie. Just a bit... self-absorbed, one might say.

But that pic was on helluva pic!

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought Karate is "one punch to kill".

The point sparring is good to train "timing, opportunity, angle, speed". It's not good to train "power". One day I pulled my punch but my opponent didn't, that was the last day I did my point sparring. I refused to put myself into that situation for the rest of my life.

One punch to kill... is a Japanese addition to the Okinawan Karatedo

Latest Discussions