Podcasts

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just curious,
Which martial arts podcasts do you subscribe to, if any?
Any reviews?

I just found Martial Arts Explorer and Learn Martial Arts online. The video and explanation on both seem very clear.

OP
G

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ummm. Hi folks. I'm one of the guys who produces Martial Arts Explorer. I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting on this topic ...

Speaking for our group, we decided on producing our own podcast because there was a derth of ma video podcasts. I spent a number of days on podcast after podcast and found some interview, history and the typical arguments regarding mma and tma and the like. No one seemed to be doing any meaningful form interpretation. Sooooo, we committed ourselves to the task.

How did you guys find out about Martial Arts Explorer? I'm curious ... in a marketing sense :)

OP
G

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ummm. Hi folks. I'm one of the guys who produces Martial Arts Explorer. I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting on this topic ...

Speaking for our group, we decided on producing our own podcast because there was a derth of ma video podcasts. I spent a number of days on podcast after podcast and found some interview, history and the typical arguments regarding mma and tma and the like. No one seemed to be doing any meaningful form interpretation. Sooooo, we committed ourselves to the task.

How did you guys find out about Martial Arts Explorer? I'm curious ... in a marketing sense :)

I was just looking through the podcasts at iTunes. I searched for "martial arts." By the way, the video production is very nice. What is your style?

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad you like the look. We keep trying to improve the lighting and backgrounds.

Our style is Shorin-Ryu. What's yours?

OP
G

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo and Tai Chi. I'd love to see a kenpo podcast.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like alot the videos of Martial Explorer. Very detailed and complete.
Speaking of those video, I have a question. I went through some of those video and I liked them, but the last one (13) leaves me a little puzzled.
Doesn't cross the leg placing yourself on the side of the opponent leave out of balance? I am thinking with a Tai Chi mind where it is a "folding" Martial Art and when the wrist is blocked first thing is elbow. Holding the wrist in that position leaves room to the opponent to bend his elbow outwards and even if not a powerful hit can't still send you down because of the poor balance?
It might be that I did it wrong, but I tried with my wife and told her how to use the elbow and I ended up on my butt....but as I said it might be that I am doing something wrong (I had her also step out "kinda" behind me and that helped, step that in a fast situation tho I don't think it could happen).

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like alot the videos of Martial Explorer. Very detailed and complete.
Speaking of those video, I have a question. I went through some of those video and I liked them, but the last one (13) leaves me a little puzzled.
Doesn't cross the leg placing yourself on the side of the opponent leave out of balance? I am thinking with a Tai Chi mind where it is a "folding" Martial Art and when the wrist is blocked first thing is elbow. Holding the wrist in that position leaves room to the opponent to bend his elbow outwards and even if not a powerful hit can't still send you down because of the poor balance?
It might be that I did it wrong, but I tried with my wife and told her how to use the elbow and I ended up on my butt....but as I said it might be that I am doing something wrong (I had her also step out "kinda" behind me and that helped, step that in a fast situation tho I don't think it could happen).

The quick answer is, yes it can. But remember that we are working very slowly in the demonstration and every 'stance' is just a momentary posture to us. When ramping up the intensity, we move much more quickly and are in the 'stance' for a much shorter time. It is much less a stance and, more accurately, a two step move; from natural stance to water stance to horse stance.

Our cross 'stance' (water stance for us) is bigger than most people realize. Many put their feet right next to each other and that's not how we use it. We push the top of our shin (near the knee) into the top of the calf muscle. That puts our back foot more behind us, giving us more front to back stability.

As for the opponents counter attack ... in a real situation you will have the advantage of surprise and you should be on to the hammer-fist before your attacker is able to diagnose what you are doing and counter. Unless your attacker has seen this technique before, you will be in great shape.

In fact, if you do the 'S-wrist lock' with sufficient force that will be the only move you need to ground the attacker and provide an avenue for you to escape. Be careful with this wrist lock. If you are too aggressive you risk connective tissue damage or worse for your partner.

Michael talks about being a good partner a lot. A good partner won't anticipate your action. Remember, if I can anticipate what you will do ... I will defeat you every time. Every technique is easily defeated if I know what is about to happen. Surprise is the major strategy of personal self defense.

All that being said, if you have trouble with ... or simply don't like ... the cross legged stance, don't use it. In our view the technique must be adapted to meet the individual's needs, not the other way around. In this way the martial art you study becomes your own, personal art.

I hope this helps. Let me know.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Explore, yes your answer was very satisfing and yes I am doing the error you described. My feet in the cross stence are basically attached.
Sorry if it sounds I was questioning your movement, but this is a bad habbit I have. When I learn something new I always try to see the weak point of it so that I know what to expect in case it goes wrong (either a good opponent or more likely me doing it wrong). I think this way, at least IMO, you always avoid bad surprises.
I do the same with Tai Chi, when I learn a new form/application the first thing I do is working with my wife trying to find a way out of it.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Explore, yes your answer was very satisfing and yes I am doing the error you described. My feet in the cross stence are basically attached.
Sorry if it sounds I was questioning your movement, but this is a bad habbit I have. When I learn something new I always try to see the weak point of it so that I know what to expect in case it goes wrong (either a good opponent or more likely me doing it wrong). I think this way, at least IMO, you always avoid bad surprises.
I do the same with Tai Chi, when I learn a new form/application the first thing I do is working with my wife trying to find a way out of it.

No need to apologize. I understand completely. Often a minor change in a technique that isn't working for us makes all the difference. Thanks for trying it out to see if it made a difference for you. Remember, if it turns out the cross over step doesn't meet your needs you can drop it at any time.

OP
G

gardawamtu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A couple of other good podcasts:
Inside Martial Arts:
This seems to be a podcast on various styles and has good video production. It also looks like they take submissions for content.
http://insidemartialarts.tv

Karate Cafe:
I think most of these folks are in Shorin-Ryu, but they speak more generally about the Martial arts. It is an audio podcast where they basically pick a topic and "shoot the bull" around that topic (women in MA, spirituality in MA, misconceptions about MA). It's quite refreshing and frank.
karatecafe.com

Both can also be found on iTunes.