Please help me to choose a right self defence course

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi
This is my 1st post. Glad to be in this active forum, hope you can help.
I'm a 25 years old woman. I want to learn how to protect myself. Within my budget, I have two options.
One year classes of Japanese karate or 3 month course of krav maga.

Now my parents concerns on this are , they think if I get any wounds in this age, then I will get permanent injury. Plus they think I will produce manly muscles.

My requirement is to make me capable of fighting a gang rape (which is very common in now a days).

So please help me which course I should take. I play guitar, I heard karate students practice by punching on hot sand. So I'm very confuse at this point. I know I might sound sissy. But really need experts view here.

Thank you
Regards.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strong is the new sexy.

What sort of karate?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If those are your only 2 options. I'd go with Krav Maga. I think you will get faster results.

Reactions: sun

dcj0524

White Belt
Reaction score
Krav will produce faster results.

Against gang rape you'd want to know how to grapple though

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe Krav... if you don't have other choices.
First year(s) Karate, possibly, you will do only kata (sort of solo choreography...).

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@sun, welcome along! Your concerns mirror those of many other women so your experience and learning of what works for you would be very useful to a lot of others!

Like Brian said above, pluck up the nerve to take your self along and either try out both for comparison of if that is not possible, at the very least ask to see what both the places are like or talk to the instructors and explain your needs and requirements, see how you react to them, and get a feel for their places, see if it suits you.

After that, I would totally recommend you go with your GUT instinct.. you can get all the expert opinion you like here or elsewhere though it will count for little if you go along on good faith to one or the other and end up not liking it.. Please tell us how this goes for you as your experience would be very valuable for others with exactly those wondering about how to protect themselves are you are! wishes Jxxx

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi

My requirement is to make me capable of fighting a gang rape (which is very common in now a days).
Thank you
Regards.

Hi Sun glad to have you here and will do my best to be useful. I'm a girl
(older :->) with background in judo, aikido and some karate (Shuriryu). I think well of both karate and KMaga, but not for your needs as I understand them. Please feel free to access my previous posts so you will have a better idea of my POV.
Can you tell us generally where you are and what's brought you to this question? What's the situation where you are and your special concern w/ gang rape? A little more information about this will help as we think of what meets your needs.
w/respect A

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Sun.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly try them both out and see which one you prefer. You might hate Krav, but love Karate. Only you can decide what art is best for you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you really have a serious concern about being gang raped, I think neither is going to be much help. I'd recommend taking aedrasteia up on her offer. There are more effective ways to avoid being gang raped than learning a martial art, and she has a lot of experience with women's self defense.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you really have a serious concern about being gang raped, I think neither is going to be much help. I'd recommend taking aedrasteia up on her offer. There are more effective ways to avoid being gang raped than learning a martial art, and she has a lot of experience with women's self defense.

Steve - thank you. I hope I can help, and to be clear - I think taking karate and/or krav training from a solid instructor at a good school is a great idea for Sun. At the same time there is so much more than technique to be dealt with as we confront sexual assault and I've yet to find krav or karate that includes what women/girls truly need. again, thanks for the good thoughts.
w/respect A

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear, being outnumbered is bad. There is no guarantee of being able to defend yourself against gang rape no matter what art you study. Two on one is bad odds. Three on one is VERY bad odds. The chances of prevailing in that situation are very slim, but better than with no training at all. Basically, you want to be as strong, tough and trained as possible, and carry whatever weapons the law allows.

All the training in the world won't do you any good if you haven't given yourself permission to use it well ahead of time, as in day 1 of training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot here...

I'm going to start with a simple question: Why do you think gang rape is common? What is your source of information? Because, in the US, the reality is that outside of certain environments, gang rape is extremely uncommon. (Most rape falls into the description of "acquaintance rape"...) If you're in those environments, all the martial arts in the world won't help you, because you've either put yourself in an extremely vulnerable position (think college student who gets drunk at a frat party...) or you're in an environment where violence is beyond common (think gang "toy") -- and resistance is pretty unlikely.

So... You want to learn to protect yourself, quickly? I'd say that a good Krav Maga school is more likely to give you solid skills in a quicker time. That's what it's built around, while a karate school (there's a huge variety of them...) is more likely to be built around a lifetime training process. Your concerns about getting "manly" are misplaced; there are plenty of solid exercise sites that can address that more fully than I can -- but in brief, your body ain't likely designed to build up the same way. But... Physical skills are really a last phase in protecting yourself from harm.

Self protection starts a lot earlier than the violence...It starts by not going into dangerous places because "violence happens in places." Often places where people get their minds altered... chemically or otherwise. And violence happens between people... often people who have had their minds altered. Seeing a theme? There are many places to start, and if you look around the forum here, you'll see it discussed often.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve - thank you. I hope I can help, and to be clear - I think taking karate and/or krav training from a solid instructor at a good school is a great idea for Sun. At the same time there is so much more than technique to be dealt with as we confront sexual assault and I've yet to find krav or karate that includes what women/girls truly need. again, thanks for the good thoughts.
w/respect A
karate, Krav, Bjj, tkd, tai Bo, cardio kickboxing. I don't personally believe that the martial arts training is what will prevent a rape. It's the "much more "you mention. That's my opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's a lot here...

I'm going to start with a simple question: Why do you think gang rape is common? What is your source of information? Because, in the US, the reality is that outside of certain environments, gang rape is extremely uncommon. (Most rape falls into the description of "acquaintance rape"...) If you're in those environments, all the martial arts in the world won't help you, because you've either put yourself in an extremely vulnerable position (think college student who gets drunk at a frat party...) or you're in an environment where violence is beyond common (think gang "toy") -- and resistance is pretty unlikely.
im glad someone else said this. This was my initial reaction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Depends a bit on where she is from. Different cultures have different defence to rape.

I mean if you look at India they train to beat people with sticks. As a method it works for them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Depends a bit on where she is from. Different cultures have different defence to rape.

I mean if you look at India they train to beat people with sticks. As a method it works for them.
I have no idea what the hell would work in India. I'll take your word for it. Is the op from India?

Latest Discussions