Planning Classes

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is primarily for instructors.

How far in advance do you plan your individual classes? Do you have a lesson plan that you follow closely or do you tailor your classes when you see who is there?

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

How far in advance do you plan your individual classes? Do you have a lesson plan that you follow closely or do you tailor your classes when you see who is there?

Jeff
I have a general idea of what I want to teach - having a syllabus for each rank is great for that, especially when it's for the whole association (and we do, as do many others) - but I modify what I actually teach any given night based on who shows up.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What means "plan"? :lol:

Ok, usually I have a general idea what I want to work on. We'll start that, and depending on how it goes, work on what needs work. I certainely don't do a detailed lesson plan though.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Atleast two weeks out and if I have a big tournament like National usually about 6-8 weeks before the event.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I start with a basic outline for classes:

Every class has -- a warm-up, cardio and calisthenics portion; a stances and basics portion; topic of the night (see later); sparring/randori

I then make each week semi-predictable: One night will be a kata night, one will be a self defense night, another may be a weapons or sparring strategy night. I make sure that the warm-up and basics practice reflect the topic of the night.

Then when I am going into, say, self-defense night, I plan on working wrist grabs, lapel grabs and a choke or two (just an example) with specific techniques to use from those situations.

From there, it is all based on the class and who is there. Sometimes I may only get in two good defenses; on kata night, I may work on a specific transition all night.

Short answer: I have a basic plan and adjust fire as teh objective gets closer.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jeff

I would usually plan something a day in advance. Of course, everything that was written was to be determined once the class actually started. Class size would play a big part as well as the ranks that were there.

I would usually try to put things into a time frame as well. If it was an hour class, I may do 15 min of warm ups, 20 min of basics. This may also include bag work. For the remainder I'd include kata and finish off with SD.

Thats just one example. Again, I'd use it as a guide, nothing that has to be set in stone.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should also add that that format was usually for the open classes. There were set nights that were designated for rank material. In that case, a warmup and basics would still be done, but the main focus of the class was requirements.

Mike

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The reason I asked about this is for a while, I was told by my instructors what to teach. In fact one would watch one of the days I was teaching and would pull me aside to offer advice and the like.

Now however I'm on my own for the classes I'm in charge of, so I was looking for different ideas on how to plan.

Thanks for sharing your way of planning with me.

Jeff

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I asked about this is for a while, I was told by my instructors what to teach. In fact one would watch one of the days I was teaching and would pull me aside to offer advice and the like.

Now however I'm on my own for the classes I'm in charge of, so I was looking for different ideas on how to plan.

Jeff

I got the idea of the preplanning from my instructor. When I started to teach, he gradually worked me into it. I'd do the warmups, he'd take over the rest and I'd assist. Gradually he had me doing more and more, until one day I walked in and he said, "Its all you today!" :)

Mike

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a curriculum for the entire year. It involves a number of core units which become the focus of classes for a month at a time.

So, at the moment, say, we are in a forms month. A class involves forms, drills, basic techniques (we always go over these three), and then a return to forms with a more in-depth examination.

This format allows me to be ahead of the game as far as planning goes. You know, if its May its forms, if its June its qinna, etc. What we are actually doing is in the curriculum so that does not need to be considered each time.

cbursk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I prepare a lessaon plan/outline for pretty much every class I teach. Its not written in stone though. Depending on who shows up for class or if I get any special requests, I will modify it as needed. Given that I have a certain amount of our systems curriculum I am expected to cover each week I find that it helps me stay more organized and helps me make sure that I find time to cover the things my students need for their next testing. I always cring a little when a student who hasn't been coming to my class fails his progress check with me and tells me that "no one has ever shown that (or explained that) to me before".

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple of our nights are strictly requirement material so we already know what is to be covered.
I normally have my open class planned one week in advance although I remain flexible depending upon who and how many show up.
The other main instructor for the adult open class also has his classes pre-planned very well.

I have been doing it long enough that I can "wing it" if I have to but it has been better to have a well thought out class so that it fits into your overall plan for the students, the other classes during the week, and you appear more professional when you bring the students through the class smoothly and confidently.
If you are making it up as you go and have to think about what to do next, many students will pick up on that.
I was talking to one very high level martial artist recently and he said he would have his classes planned out up to one year in advance!
Now that's planning!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeff,

I primarily assist and occasionally cover for my sensei -- in the latter instance, he'll either ask me to teach such n' such or teach what I like.

However, years ago I used to run after-school programs at several elementary schools in my community. Note that these were beginning classes kids only, but I think the planning strategy could work in a variety of ways. I concocted a checklist of what I wanted to cover within, say, eight-week period. The list might consist of specific skills, activities, what have you. With each check mark, I made a quick note of the date, so I new when the item had been introduced, reinforced, reviewed, etc. It also gave me some choice, depending upon my energy level, or the kids', about what I might do during a given class. Besides a planning tool, it was a reflective tool, allowing me to look backwards -- what haven't they done in a while? What haven't I introduced yet? What didn't look so hot the last time we did it.

I don't do this so rigidly now, as I only regular class I teach is once per week at my own public school. It's usually only ten to twelve weeks, so I have pretty good recall of what's come before and what I want to do next.

I would add that flexibility is the key. A plan gives me something to come back to when I degress. If there's no plan (written or sitting in my head), it's very easy go from one digression to the next. Sometimes I'll walk in and decide that doing a class of punching, blocking, and kicking drills for an entire hour seems just right for me and the kids.

Is that in line with what you're thinking, Jeff?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first started teaching I wrote out every detail and followed it to a T. Now I just run an outline and I follow that. I am strict on what students know for each rank and it helps a bunch on setting out what I need to be working my students on. It also helps that my students know exactly what they need to advance and what their individual weaknesses are.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan my classes out in advance and then tailor them during the class based on who is there and what inspiration comes to me.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Planning for each individual class starts way before the original class.

The first thing that I do is design a sound curriculum with well developed steps that leads a student through a series of well defined devolopmental markers. Clearly defined rank sheets work well for this, but those sheets have got to show a clear progession of skill.

The second thing that I do is that I adjust my teaching schedule so that I'm working with more of a homogenous group. (Working with heterogenous groups is good too, but that takes seperate planning and I'll go into that in a bit.) Anyway, the good thing about the homogenous groupings is that you are preparing a group to be more focused on a particular lesson.

The third thing that I do is make sure that my classes have a general structure to them so that the students know what to expect at all of the transition. This makes planning for the teacher easy, because all he has to do is switch out this or that aspect of the art. I find that because I have this structure in place, I'm able to plan my lessons a day or two in advance and I can easily change them to fit my students needs.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every week, I have one class period set aside for everyone to show up. During this period, we don't work on basics or forms or more of the rigid aspects of the art. We work on concepts and skill and application...sparring, wrestling, and randori.

For this class, I pretty much follow the following structure...

1. Engage - a student must somehow be engaged by the teacher's material or it isn't going to grab their attention and they won't perform at their best. Presenting students with problems or challenges is a good way to engage them.

2. Explore - this is the stage where the instructor facilitates the student's exploration of the material that engaged them. Students use this time to examine their own background knowledge.

3. Explain - during this stage, the instructor explains the nuances whatever is being learned and may demonstrate ways that slight alter or greatly alter the student's background knowledge.

4. Elaborate - this is an important step where students are given time to take what was presented before and use it in a variety of situations. This is done in order to test the concept in various ways and explore its depth. It also gives the students' the chance to be creative with application.

5. Evaluate - the last state is where the instructor uses whatever methods or instruments needed in order to measure how much the student has learned. Methods of evaluation can be simple or complex, but they should always be measuring against the metric of the instructors overarching and enduring goals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Jeff
I have a general idea of what I'll be teaching for the next several weeks -- but it can change based on who shows up and other things. For example, this summer, we'll be working on a particular form, self-defense, and a few other things.

My partner is much happier with much more concrete planning, though... She'd prefer to have a tight schedule of what we'll teach. I just don't work quite that way! There's room for both.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As most of the iinstructors have said, I have preset ideas, then modify when we get there and get into it.

But having grown to three different belt/age levels, the one thing I began recently that really helps me plan ahead/keep track of what each class needs/is working on, is I typed out a one-page Class Structure and Lesson Plan overview/worksheet. It's like a menu of things we may do any given day. I then took this to be photocopied and laminated in 11x17, so I can see it more easily during class (when we all have to modify on the run :)). Since it's laminated, I'm able to use eraseable overhead marker pens--in four different colors--to write notes, or put stars or checkmarks next to things I really want to cover in any given class. After class, a wet papertowel easily removes the marker. It's really working well for us.

Latest Discussions