Pinan Shodan

OP
R

RyuShiKan

The opening sequence is an attack from behind, grab the hands, go over the head and throw to the ground.

It's hard to explain you will just have to try it and work with it for a bit or see it

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How about grabbing the hands, then step behind the opponent's leg and throw him backward? ura nage/ushiro nage

Another: Grab the on coming punch, uppercut to the elbow joint, arm pit, or chin.

:asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by kenmpoka

How about grabbing the hands, then step behind the opponent's leg and throw him backward? ura nage/ushiro nage

Another: Grab the on coming punch, uppercut to the elbow joint, arm pit, or chin.

Where is he attacking from when you do this?

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On the throw, from behind. On the punch, lets say from the side. It really doen't matter. We are not stuck with the enbusen.:asian:

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
On coming right punch, step back into Neko ashi/kokutsu dachi, apply the age uke, siding to the wrist, pulling as you do the uppercut with left hand.

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I was just promoted to yellow belt by Martial talk on the left corner. Does the rank changes with the number of posts?
If so cool.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

We're basically talking about Anyo Isa.

Thats what the hubbub is about? Thought it was something more detailed/complex. :shrug: Ah, at least I got the idea now.

danke.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

Thats what the hubbub is about? Thought it was something more detailed/complex. :shrug: Ah, at least I got the idea now.

danke.

Having just learned Anyo Isa not too long ago, it is still fresh in my memory...

What I remember of Heian Shodan (which, I am led to believe, is essentially the same kata), while similar in some respects, leads me to believe that there is similarity between it and Anyo Isa only in some of the footwork. The hand techniques are all different.

Still trying to understand that whole "bolo punch" thing...

Anyway...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

What I remember of Heian Shodan (which, I am led to believe, is essentially the same kata), while similar in some respects, leads me to believe that there is similarity between it and Anyo Isa only in some of the footwork. The hand techniques are all different.

Given that Kaith has no experience with karate but knows Anyo Isa I thought it was a good reference. Anyo Isa a Pinan form in Modern Arnis style, it seems to me--there are trapping hands in place of block-punches (and we also interpret trapping hands as a grappling technique sometimes), but it has the same basic pattern and the same relatively straight-forward block-punch feel. Well, I thought it was a good way to get the basic idea across.

Still trying to understand that whole "bolo punch" thing...

Some people emphasize this more than others!

OP
C

Chiduce

I was taught the pinan shodan after fukyugata 1&2 katas. The fukyu kata's were the first the the matsumura seito taught. Pinan's came next. then we skipped around a bit to, weapons like the long pole, staff, sai, tonfa etc, to examine the same kata using weapons; then on to kibadachi and passai.
Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce

The fukyu kata's...

I'm sorry, but when I read that I had this image of a guy from down south with a really heavy drawl standing in front of a panel of judges at a tournament shouting out:

MY NAME IS BILLY RAY DOE.

MY ART IS SUMTHIN' SUMTHIN' SUMTHIN' DO KAH RAH TAY.

MY FORM IS FUK YU SHOW DAN (pronounced like the name, not the belt rank).

No offense intended, Chiduce... I know what the proper pronunciation likely is... But the humor value could not be neglected...

:asian: :lol: :lol: :asian:

Gambarimasu.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

I'm sorry, but when I read that I had this image of a guy from down south with a really heavy drawl standing in front of a panel of judges at a tournament shouting out:

MY NAME IS BILLY RAY DOE.

MY ART IS SUMTHIN' SUMTHIN' SUMTHIN' DO KAH RAH TAY.

MY FORM IS FUK YU SHOW DAN (pronounced like the name, not the belt rank).

No offense intended, Chiduce... I know what the proper pronunciation likely is... But the humor value could not be neglected...

:asian: :lol: :lol: :asian:

Gambarimasu.
OK that was a pretty good one!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I have to admit when I first heard the name of this kata years ago all I could think of was two "wise guys" doing karate and saying "fukyu kata"......."no, fukyu kata".............."ah faget about it"

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I have to admit when I first heard the name of this kata years ago all I could think of was two "wise guys" doing karate and saying "fukyu kata"......."no, fukyu kata".............."ah faget about it"
Yeah, it bugged me out too!

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen people show this as a finger tip strike to the solor plex area. Now I know the only damage this will cause, is for you to break your only fingers if you attempt this. I have been shown it to be a throw, and strike to soft tissue area, the throat, eyes, armpit area, and groin. Could this movement be the same or close to the Tai chi movement "Pick up needle from sea bottom". Any other thoughts on this movement.
Bob :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Could this movement be the same or close to the Tai chi movement "Pick up needle from sea bottom".

It is somewhat reminscent of that technique! Applications of it have been discussed in our Tai Chi forum--I like the arm lock.

We often interpret the move you mention from Pinan Shodan as a "diving throw" in Modern Arnis, where you grab say his left wrist in your left hand from the outside and slide your right forearm across his chest with your right leg behind his left leg, throwing him backwards. It's hard to describe but works--it's similar to an application of Tai Chi's ward off.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

It is somewhat reminscent of that technique! Applications of it have been discussed in our Tai Chi forum--I like the arm lock.

The way Needle at Sea Bottom is practiced in Yiliquan is not as a spear hand to the body at all... Using the posture with the left foot forward and the right hand forward - the opponent grabs your right wrist in a standard grip, you secure his grip with your left hand over his and pull your hand up and back describing a large "C" in the air; hooking your hand around his wrist while having rotated his arm so that his elbow is pointing toward the ceiling, you drive the spearing hand down toward his feet. This results in a wrist lock that is very painful, and when executed quickly will cause the opponent to go to his knees immediately.

Latest Discussions