Picking Your Targets

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you should train for specific targets. If you train to hit precisely you are more apt to hit a moving target when the adrenaline gets flowing. Also, I think you need to have specific targets in mind so you know what it will do when struck there. If you can recognize and have a target available to you that you know will give you a great return for you effort, it is better than not knowing target priority and taking a shot at something else that is also open that won't give you the same return.

Some people have used the "shooting" approach and talk about hitting visible center mass. One of the things our department addresses is what happens when you don't have center mass available. You better have spent the time and learned a little bit of precision shooting. The scenario we use (that has happened before to LEO's) is the person is wearing body armour so your center mass shots aren't having effect. You had better have trained for that to know how to recognize that and switch targets by either a) going lower and breaking the pelvic or b) going high and taking out his computer.

I think the same thing applies to fighting. You need to know what targets are available to you and what you have as a backup plan if that fails.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I tend to aim for specific targets. If the strike is to the temple, I block out all parts of the face and only see the temple. I've been in some fights in my 40 years and people move differently then in the dojo, but if I move them where I want them to be, then I find it easier to hit those targets. I like to aim for the large areas first. Knee, thigh ect, then the joints. Stomach shots on a really fat man isn't as effective then a side blade kick to the knee. scott

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very specific dime-sized targets (with not only X and Y coordinates, but also Z for specific penetration ;) )

"Aim small, miss small."

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When sparing in class it depends on whom I am sparing with and what I want to accomplish at that moment.
I think a few on the board will attest that I do tend to target areas on the arms and legs, at times to get my point across
I like to practice hitting certain targets because if I ever need to use the technique again in the street i want to be sure to hit the target

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It'll come as no surprise, given my art, when I say that precision is de rigeur in iai.

It's completely analagous to rifle-shooting, except whereas you use the sights on a gun to determine point of impact, we aim the mouth of the saya where the cut is going to go - ideally I should know where I'm going to hit before my right hand even touches the tsuka.

However, unlike with a gun where once you've pulled the trigger your influence over the shot is over, with the sword we can alter our aimpoint on the fly if the target should move. That's a skill I'm working on at present as making the visualisation work convincingly is very difficult as, in effect, you have to surprise yourself :D.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on who the opponent is. I train for specific targets (eyes, nose, throat, groin, knees, etc...) but in reality who knows if during the heat of battle if you will hit that target or not. Everyone would like to think they will hit thier target. But for example, if I'm aiming for the nose and I hit him in the jaw instead.....oh well. I hope I break his jaw instead of his nose. I like the throat area though because it's a little bit larger target. If I'm fighting someone that I'm pretty confident that I can beat then I obviously I wouldn't go for such areas as the throat or knees.

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't mean to sound too raw here but I usually like belting them straight in the mouth and have no problems with this.

Latest Discussions