Pick your weapon

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am also a TKD student that has never been formally trained in any weapons. I have dabbled in the Bo and Escrima sticks, though, and enjoyed both very much.

As far as practicality goes, my favorite would be the Escrima, for the same reasons someone else has already listed on there that it's the easiest to be translated to a real-life situation.

Generally speaking, though, I would love to learn how to use the Katana. It is a truely beautiful weapon to me....

But I would have to insist on using the Highlander sword....the one from the series, mind you, used by Adrian Paul, not the one from the movie, used by Christopher Lambert.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In reading responses here, this may need to break off to another thread or join with a previous one, but it's a question I have to ask. I'm not out to be insulting or flame baiting, but it's a question that in my mind begs to be answered & hopefully with honesty.

Why do MAists who practice a MA that does no integrated weapon training of any kind, feel the need to go "learn" something that many times from what I've seen first hand, is structurally, mechanically and functionally wrong & dangerous??

What I'm talking about & not picking on (even though it may seem so) is the "X" brand of MA that has no weapons training contained in it that the instructor goes out to a weekend seminar in FMA or buys a video on Japanese sword or Chinese stick work or... (insert your own) and then is teaching it not too soon after as "real & authentic"??

Or the guy (read "X" brand of MA that has no weapons training contained in it) has a buddy who did "Y" for a little bit & has "shown" him a few things??

Why won't people who want training in Asian weaponry just go to a school where it's taught as part of an established curriculum?? A place where the basics of the weapons are taught along aside & as a part of the basics of the hands?? Rather than the previously mentioned seminar heroes or video warriors, why not go train in what's got your interest? I can almost understand if you live in "Nowhere Montana" & have no way to leave permanently. But with the world shrinking as it is, travel more accomdating, why not train properly from scratch??

Just a question... or two.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why won't people who want training in Asian weaponry just go to a school where it's taught as part of an established curriculum?? A place where the basics of the weapons are taught along aside & as a part of the basics of the hands??
That's what I did.:D

But most of the places that do what you describe with regards to seminars and other shortcuts simply want to add a feature to their existing curriculum to either attract new students or to keep existing ones around a little longer. Nobody outside of such schools takes them seriously, but the kids all think its cool.

Going the route that I went, starting at white belt in a weapon art and spending several years in training before teaching it, takes time, money and a lot of hard work. That usually precludes adding weapons to your literature in a timely fashion.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In reading responses here, this may need to break off to another thread or join with a previous one, but it's a question I have to ask. I'm not out to be insulting or flame baiting, but it's a question that in my mind begs to be answered & hopefully with honesty.

Why do MAists who practice a MA that does no integrated weapon training of any kind, feel the need to go "learn" something that many times from what I've seen first hand, is structurally, mechanically and functionally wrong & dangerous??

What I'm talking about & not picking on (even though it may seem so) is the "X" brand of MA that has no weapons training contained in it that the instructor goes out to a weekend seminar in FMA or buys a video on Japanese sword or Chinese stick work or... (insert your own) and then is teaching it not too soon after as "real & authentic"??

Or the guy (read "X" brand of MA that has no weapons training contained in it) has a buddy who did "Y" for a little bit & has "shown" him a few things??

Why won't people who want training in Asian weaponry just go to a school where it's taught as part of an established curriculum?? A place where the basics of the weapons are taught along aside & as a part of the basics of the hands?? Rather than the previously mentioned seminar heroes or video warriors, why not go train in what's got your interest? I can almost understand if you live in "Nowhere Montana" & have no way to leave permanently. But with the world shrinking as it is, travel more accomdating, why not train properly from scratch??

Just a question... or two.

To explain this simply:

McDojoism

TKD is notorious for this. It's something I'm not proud of, but it is a pet peeve of mine when someone does not have formal training in something and thinks they can rent a few videos and start teaching the next weekend.

It's not just related to weapons, either...MMA is getting alot of this as well...there are all kinds of people out there watching youtube videos of MMA matches that think they can teach what they're seeing. They learn the lingo, and "Presto!", they're good enough to coach and teach.

I fully admit that I'm not properly trained in any sort of weapons...I was "shown a few things" like you're talking about by a guy who was formally trained, but I never completed any sort of training at all. I really just dabbled a little in it. But, I'm not about to go around trying to teach what I was shown, either.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may be quite unusual, but I've never cared much for MA weapons. Probably due to my lack of dexterity with my right hand. It was just nothing I enjoyed for myself. I appreciate others being able to do them well, just not for me.

F

foggymorning162

My favorite weapon would be my mind.... but I practice bo.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
a kendo stick is basically a escrma stick. both are basically 3/4 inch wooden rods

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a kendo stick is basically a escrma stick. both are basically 3/4 inch wooden rods
Not so.

An Escrima stick is just that: a stick of solid wood.

A shinai is four strips of bamboo lashed together with a lambskin grip, a leather tie about three quarters of the way up the 'blade' and capped with a leather tip, a cord running the length of the shinai to represent the back of the blade and to hold it all together. The blade from the leather tie, or ribbon at the three quarter mark to the tip of the blade represents the cutting surface of the blade if it were an actual katana. The shaft diameter tapers from about an inch to an inch and a half at its widest point to about three quarters of an inch at the tip and pommel.

Aside from differences in technique; the shinai is used like an actual sword, a shinai is designed to flex on impact, allowing a practitioner to deliver a strike with killing force without actually killing the sparring partner. While you could use a shinai as a weapon, a jo stick or a cane would be more effective simply because it is solid.

Not being a nitpicker; just kendo geeking.:D

Daniel

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train in a gojuryu, kobudo and tai chi dojo. Kobudo also includes iaido, escrima and Chinese weapons while Tai Chi includes some Chinese sword work. The head sensei is a godan not just a weekend seminar guy though we do have seminars from the higher kudan on occasion, which is a good thing. The sempais are nidan to yondan and are also full timers. I train in all three disciplines several times a week and the belts in weapons require many kata per weapon plus blocks, self defence, bunkai, sparring, etc. It is a good program and I'm glad to have found it.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great question: Love both Chinese and Filipino knife techniques, love the darn dao saber, both tai chi and kung fu apps, love the staff, as it is adaptable to other applications like using a broom or other household or street appliance, spear for shoulder and waist development, and the escrima sticks because they are so darn fun, effective, and the striking possibilities are endless!! Plus, a great workout when doing them at full speed!

I have done Chinese arts for a long time, but I must say, having been married to a Filipino for 8 years before divorce, that I find their methodology of teaching weapons first, then empty hand, a very different path to take. I know the end point is the same, but I find people who do Filipino weapons first usually have a great understanding of penetration and fa jing power once they start learning empty hand methodologies. Just an interesting observation.

If I can throw one question back to the group, or a twist, if you do not mind, of the weapons to choose from besides your fave, which one in your practice do you find the most practical and adaptable to modern real world needs? I do not mean a Jackie Chan bench technique....LOL!! Just curious, as these days, keeping the no firearms rule, like I stated with the staff practice, can I make this thread two parts: favorite weapon, and one you most would want to have access in a real situation. Thanks, with honor.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
for practicality...stick and/or knife, absent firearms

for the traditional kobudo weapons...nunchuk, bo, sai because these are the ones I've had the most exposure to.

for the unique because I think they are cool and my buddy made it for me......the lei o mano club :)

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
1 - Nichogama (2 Kama's)
2 - Katana
3 - Sai
4 - Yari or Naginata
5 - rochin and timbe
6 - Rokushaku Bo
7 - Tuifa
8 - Suruchin (can be a nut and skull buster)
9 - Nunchaku and sanchaku have to be my least favorite of all. I used to think they were cool as a kid and couldn't wait to learn them. I think it was because I built them up in my mind because of watching Bruce Lee and found out you didn't use them the same way and it wasn't as flashy. Sanchaku is just a nut and head cracker and I admire anyone that can use them with out killing themselves.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Knives, machette ( in place of a sword) Kali sticks, 550 cord for garroeting and controlling with, a rolled up magizine.

You just dont walk down the street wit a Katana, but I can with all the above weapons or they serve to train you to use common objects.

OP
Kwanjang

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my personal favorites (weapon at hand) is My pontiac ignitoin key--it looks like an arrow head on the tip!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my personal favorites (weapon at hand) is My pontiac ignitoin key--it looks like an arrow head on the tip!

I'm willing to bet that if you combine that ignition key with the rest of the Pontiac, you'd have a very mean weapon indeed!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knives, machette ( in place of a sword) Kali sticks, 550 cord for garroeting and controlling with, a rolled up magizine.

You just dont walk down the street wit a Katana, but I can with all the above weapons or they serve to train you to use common objects.
I'm pretty sure the cops in my area would have a chat with someone walking down the street with a machete. :idunno:

Latest Discussions