Is hardcore martial arts training really the most "balanced" training for a well rounded body?

Bullsherdog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I notice one reason many people get into hardcore level martial arts esp full contact styles (and real military specific training such as military bootcamp) is because it has developed a reputation for developing a physical body that is not only athletic but also brutely strong, acrobatic, agile, flexible, full of endurance, and with superb hand and foot to eye coordination.

Basically hardcore martial arts along with military training systems has gotten the rep of "jack of all trades" for developing physical conditioning that is "functional" from running laps to carrying heavy objects for miles to crawling through an air vent.

How accurate is this notion?

wooden man

White Belt
Reaction score
Basically hardcore martial arts along with military training systems has gotten the rep of "jack of all trades" for developing physical conditioning that is "functional" from running laps to carrying heavy objects for miles to crawling through an air vent.

I don't think you really understand the phrase
"Jack of all trades".
As a tradesman it's not something you want to be called, the other half of the saying is
"master of none".

Not sure what you want to know, training those things produces a known skillset.
A ballet dancer will develop similar or even superior levels of strength, agility, stamina etc. but for a different functionality.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I notice one reason many people get into hardcore level martial arts esp full contact styles (and real military specific training such as military bootcamp) is because it has developed a reputation for developing a physical body that is not only athletic but also brutely strong, acrobatic, agile, flexible, full of endurance, and with superb hand and foot to eye coordination.

Well yes, hardcore training for ma will causes serious adaptations to your body, but hard core trainibg at any other physical activerty will do like wise, in fact just hard core training will work just fine.if i had to pick the sport that develops the human body to its greatest potenial, id go with gymnastics.

But then a slight complication in your missive, you need to train your body for what you want ut to do, you dont by default get to run fast unless you practise running fast, or carry heavy objects for miles without carrying heavy objects. stick a 60 lb back pack on most Ma,and they wont run for miles, they most probebly cant run at all. if thats important to you, then go do that.

Nb, air vents, real air vents, not the ones in the movies, have tons of pOt rivets, pertruding inwards, which would make crawling though them extremely painfully, if not border line impossible

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
to crawling through an air vent.
At what belt level in martial arts training is vent crawling introduced? Do you start with padded knees and gloves and advance to shorts and bare knuckles? Is there a weight restriction? I weigh about 220, don't like the idea of trusting a tapcon to hold my weight. Also, I have bad allergies, could I be excused from this training? Can I still be a badass if I wimp out of this?

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Padwork and sparring is a great way of building athletic performance.

So is Crossfit.

So is a diversified portfolio of weights, plyometrics, and rowing.

So is soccer.

Don't worry about what is "most." I's almost impossible to prove which good workout plan is truly the best of the best. Instead, pick something that's good and do it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can I still be a badass if I wimp out of this?

No.

You need the full set of stripes on your belt to be a certified badass, and if you're lacking the air vent crawling stripe that's just not going to happen.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No.

You need the full set of stripes on your belt to be a certified badass, and if you're lacking the air vent crawling stripe that's just not going to happen.
Except in my school it’s given as a merit badge. It’s a requirement to be promoted to Eagle Master.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At what belt level in martial arts training is vent crawling introduced? Do you start with padded knees and gloves and advance to shorts and bare knuckles? Is there a weight restriction? I weigh about 220, don't like the idea of trusting a tapcon to hold my weight. Also, I have bad allergies, could I be excused from this training? Can I still be a badass if I wimp out of this?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

You won't fit that in a vent shaft.

Image66.6.jpg

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Padwork and sparring is a great way of building athletic performance.

So is Crossfit.

So is a diversified portfolio of weights, plyometrics, and rowing.

So is soccer.

Don't worry about what is "most." I's almost impossible to prove which good workout plan is truly the best of the best. Instead, pick something that's good and do it.

Yeah but with the exception of the 1st one, you still can't fight at the end of all that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's probably you who can't fight and they can beat your *** easily, so now you think that they can fight.
But , if they fight, then they can fight, QED, it nothing to do with if they win or not.

Have you a s special defintion of " can fight " that prec ludes the above being true ?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But , if they fight, then they can fight, QED, it nothing to do with if they win or not.

Have you a s special defintion of " can fight " that prec ludes the above being true ?

How about in English, next time? Thanks.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I can swim, but I'll never compete with Michael Phelps. There are levels to things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can swim, but I'll never compete with Michael Phelps. There are levels to things.
Well yes indeed, there are, but he said people who play soccer cant fight, no qualification at all, that he finds it unlikely that they could win the ultimate fighting championship or any Top level competative event, just they CANT fight and they clearly can

But then there are a good few mma bobs, who will never win anything of note, so if we are having cant competed with the very best, as the definion of " cant fight" that just aBout every body in mma who cant fight

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yes indeed, there are, but he said people who play soccer cant fight, no qualification at all, that he finds it unlikely that they could win the ultimate fighting championship or any competative event, just they CANT fight and they clearly can
Well, anyone can 'fight' I slap you, you pull my hair..voilla we are fighting.

That doesn't mean you know how to fight.