Pet peeves while training in Japan

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if you want to revive the thread here is something we can talk about.

This was posted on George Ohashi's web site on July 11th. I just spotted it while double checking the location for training tonight.

One more thing from the Hombu/Ayase Class Admin.

Soon after I started making announcements at the end of the Ayase class today, a lot of people ignored me, stood up, walked around and started chatting with others. Such a behavior is considered very rude in this country (especially in the Budo field) even if not in some other countries. At least I and the translator were offended and disgusted this time. I make announcements on important things at the end of each class (when all the people are still sitting there) because that is the best timing to do so. If you cannot keep listening to me carefully just for half a minute, please don't come to the class. At least keep silent for all the others! Or shouldn't I make any more announcements in the Dojo?

The thing about the above is that so many people ask me where they can train when Hatsumi is not. Folks, if you listen for a second to the announcements after training, you probably will hear who will be training at the honbu and the times.

It is a matter of respect. You would not want to miss something because someone was yacking, don't make anyone else miss something important.

Oh, and Brian... I can get Samual Adams sometimes in Japan but I can never find things like their Summer Brew. Keep that in mind. :cheers: I'll introduce you to a little pub near the station where Nagase trains.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well, if you want to revive the thread here is something we can talk about.

This was posted on George Ohashi's web site on July 11th. I just spotted it while double checking the location for training tonight.

The thing about the above is that so many people ask me where they can train when Hatsumi is not. Folks, if you listen for a second to the announcements after training, you probably will hear who will be training at the honbu and the times.

It is a matter of respect. You would not want to miss something because someone was yacking, don't make anyone else miss something important.

Oh, and Brian... I can get Samual Adams sometimes in Japan but I can never find things like their Summer Brew. Keep that in mind. :cheers: I'll introduce you to a little pub near the station where Nagase trains.

Hey Don,

First that is really an important time. The announcements really let you know what is going on and who will be teaching at the Hombu and when. Plus it is just plain courteous to listen and pay attention as some very important detail might be mentioned.

Sam Adams summer brew. No problem. When I come I will bring you some.

Plus I do like pubs and when I was there last time I missed Nagase Sensei's classes and would love the opportunity to train with him!
icon7.gif
(definately would not miss it again)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Don jumps into the conversation in a desperate attempt to stop it from getting really silly......

You know, this really is not much of a rant... But I remember one guy that was so eager to get his notes done that he had his notebook strapped to his leg and would start writing them out in the middle of class while everyone started in on practicing the move. He even managed to finish in time to practice the moves himself five or six times over the course of the evening.

Here is another story of a similar slant.

A couple of weeks ago Hatsumi starts off the class by commenting about how we are beyond being technique collectors with huge notebooks and instead we are moving into the feeling behind the techniques.

And for the rest of the class this one guy in the back keeps grabbing his notebook after Hatsumi finishes demonstating instead of trying out the move. :whip:

Oh, and Brian, thanks and let me know when you will be out here.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Here is another story of a similar slant.

A couple of weeks ago Hatsumi starts off the class by commenting about how we are beyond being technique collectors with huge notebooks and instead we are moving into the feeling behind the techniques.

And for the rest of the class this one guy in the back keeps grabbing his notebook after Hatsumi finishes demonstating instead of trying out the move. :whip:

That gentleman obviously was not listening and was missing Soke's most important point of the day. That is to bad and rude as well.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure you wouldn't rather some good Canadian beer Don? I'll be there in 3 wks LOL

Moosehead!!!!!!!!

I have never seen the stuff in ten years in Japan!!!!! A fair beer, made more desired by it's lack.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moosehead!!!!!!!!

I have never seen the stuff in ten years in Japan!!!!! A fair beer, made more desired by it's lack.

I like a micro brew I just found in Canada, I think it is called Creemore.

I liked there amber.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moosehead!!!!!!!!

Haha. The wing place I go always has moosehead on special here... 24 ounce glasses for 3 bucks. :)

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's get this back on topic, gentlem----mmmmmmm, beer. :p

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is the first time I have ever been told to get back to complaining. :uhyeah:

DannyinJapan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everybody. My first post, I dont intend to chat too much.Somebody asked me to put in two cents here as I am often the "clean-up guy" for some of this BS. First off, this whole thread is possibly not entirely Kosher by Japanese standards. Japanese budo schools like to keep problems inside the family, if you know what I mean. Candid and frank discussions of unpleasant subjects are not common in Japan. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Please never ever refer to any Japanese teacher without using the title "sensei" or at least "san" after his or her name. This applies to speaking and writing. This is a really basic rule of etiquette.

Putting milk in green tea or soy sauce on rice - Eat your food however the hell you want to. If you paid for it, it's yours. In five years I have never met any Japanese people who cared at all what I put on my rice or in my tea. (yes I asked)

Panty hose are a part of the dress code for female teachers and city hall employees when they wear their skirts.

"People leaving a class when they find out one of the Shihan is teaching instead of Soke."
This ought not to be discussed in public. It is an issue, but really not for public discussion. If you show up at the hombu for a class, stay for the class. That's all that ought to be said.

I sometimes lay down in between classes. It's been humid as hell and hot as hell and I just couldnt do 4 hours without being able to lay down and close my eyes for a bit. George has been coming over and fanning me while I lay there. thank God the weather has finally changed. 65 and clear skies. I love the Fall in Japan!

"Trash issue of course....Training bags/shoes....some care needs to be taken by everyone to allow Soke and everyone else clear path to walk into and out of areas they need to go..."

I spend about 5 minutes of every class cleaning up the bags and piling them into a mountain next to the armor so that Sensei and his cameraman can get in and out of the training area. People can be pretty selfish and totally unaware. More than that, people have been crowding Sensei while he is teaching, instead of backing up against the wall or sitting down as far away from the center of the room as possible. We had to actually ask people, during class, to back the heck up so the cameraman could get out there and film Yabu san's grimaces.

As to individual people's behavior like wanting to be the teacher or doing something different from Sensei or whatever, that is all a part of learning Budo, people have to grow and learn. It can be annoying and sometimes dangerous, but you can always go to the bathroom and then find a different partner. I do it all the time. If you get a crackerhead, just go get some tea, clear your thoughts, and go find someone else.

Believe me, there is NO WAY that people who don't get it will ever fool Sensei into believing that they do get it. It's all in your taijutsu and that always tells the truth. Sensei will say " ok, you teach." You will get up and do something and Sensei will know by your movement how much you understand. It's the ultimate lie detector. Rehearsed techniques, physical wrestling stuff, it's all easy to recognize and Sensei knows before you even do it what's going on.

So do yourself a favor and understand that Sensei (all of them) is watching you from the minute you show up until you leave. You show him how good or bad your budo is by how you stack your shoes, how you stack your gear bags, where you stand when he is teaching, what we say on the internet....there are a million things.. Sensei is a very smart and observant man.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please never ever refer to any Japanese teacher without using the title "sensei" or at least "san" after his or her name. This applies to speaking and writing. This is a really basic rule of etiquette.

That is true if you are in Japan and writing in a Japanese context. This is not the case. When in Rome, do as the Romans do and if we make a big show of trying to respect Hatsumi we turn people off. There are certain people I will definatly not use an honorific with. And if I make a big show of using the term with Hatsumi and not them, it stands out. In Japan you use terms like that with everyone. To only use it with one or a few people and ignore the rest is not correct.

And I really do not think that the subjects we are discussing are out of bounds. There are certain things that should not be discussed- like who will succeed Hatsumi because they are rather morbid. But I don't think you are going to make any friends here by playing the judge and jury as to what people can say and talk about.

There are certain things that people should just use commone sense over. Like not talking constantly during class. "God damn! Koku again! I have seen this so many times! Why do we have to do this again!" I actually heard some idiot say that, and a lot of other things, while he was working out next to me at honbu last year. This huge idiot just ran his mouth the entire time we were training. Can't people just be quite with the commentary during training?

Or for that matter, there are times when using the internet should be a danger. Telling the entire world about someone's promotion sounds like a good idea. But maybe the guy wants to tell people themselves. Especially if he has not told his Bujinkan teacher about a rank promotion in another martial art. If someone makes godan here in Japan and I know them. I will let them get back to their country and tell their family before I tell anyone here. Those of you with internet access in Japan while visiting might remember that.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's okay, if you're afraid, I'm sure we could find someone to hold your hand while you're here...

B000E40QQA.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ah... tempting... but I wouldnt want to Upset Don, so maybe Ill stick with the first one.

On a serious note, I'm really hoping to make it there next year.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's okay, if you're afraid, I'm sure we could find someone to hold your hand while you're here...

JP.jpg

I'm suddenly afraid! Send her over to comfort me! Help me please! I need the one in armor!

But on a more serious note, just spotted this on George Ohashi's site.

Please tell us if you have broken a weapon in the Dojo. Everybody can make mistakes, but it's much worse if you conceal the fact and behave as if nothing had happened.

Why the hell do we need to even mention stuff like this? It is just freaking common sense that you own up when you accidently break something. I just do not stop being surprised at what people do while they are over here.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
After returning from Japan. I can say that there were a few things I didn't care too much for as for pet peeves. One of which would be eating on the mats. That kinds of irks me personally.
There were some others but that one particulaly stuck out to me at this moment.

I also find the over abundance of people explaining the answer to some etherial question, when they are looking for it too.