Pet peeves while training in Japan

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you very much Mr. Seago, you answered my other implied question which was 'is this a Japanese thing.' I also concur with your 'When in Rome' philosophy. I try to, while not dishonoring my own art and traditions, not dishonor another training center / art's specific traditions or practices.

You guys have been very patient with me. Thank you again.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know which case irritates me more when I run across it in Japan.

On one hand there are the guys that insist on trying to show off by trying to correct you. If they actually knew what they were doing it would not be a problem. There are guys I try to work out with because I know they will give me good advice from time to time. But the ones that try to teach most, seem to know the least. I am sure we have all run into these types.

On the other hand are the guys that seem to want you to teach them. I am not talking about a small correction on a single technique that they can't seem to get. I am talking about guys that show up to Japan without knowing even how to do even omote gyaku and then seem to expect you to take time away from trying out what Hatsumi is showing to teach them it instead. I pay money to get to training as well and a lack of preperation on their part does not mean an emergency on mine.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FWIW, a couple of observations...

Much like the suggestion for not putting soy sauce (or any other condiment) on one's rice...a friend told me that the same goes for (green) tea. Asking for anything to put in the tea (ie: sugar, lemon, milk) is a big insult.

For the ladies...

If you wear nylons, pack plenty of them. Japanese women typically do not wear them. They can be found at larger department stores or specialty items, but they are sold (and priced) like an exotic item - $20-30/pair.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
If you wear nylons, pack plenty of them. Japanese women typically do not wear them. They can be found at larger department stores or specialty items, but they are sold (and priced) like an exotic item - $20-30/pair.

Wow.

Guy could make a killing.

hehe.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Wow.

Guy could make a killing.

hehe.

That's quite an image. Although, I suppose that could defray the travel costs a bit. :lol2:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
That's quite an image. Although, I suppose that could defray the travel costs a bit. :lol2:

Ha, maybe. But then again, I have no idea what Pantyhose cost here in the U.S. either...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
For the ladies...

I asked my wife about this and she says no. She says that if you are paying more than about 5 dollars for a pair, you are getting some sort of fancy brand.

It strikes me that trying to find them in western sizes may be a problem. I have no idea if those things are one size fit all or not. And really, it would probably be easier to buy them in your home country than waste your limited time in Japan searching for them.

BTW- why is this considered a rant instead of in the advice thread?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I can see you've never worn them, or had to replace a pair in a hurry because of a runner - or Stairway to Heaven as I like to call them. :uhyeah:

You can get them in just about any gas station or other small store, on this side of the water.

OP
Kreth

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I'm still trying to figure out how stockings tie into training. Was there a change made to the dress code that I'm not aware of?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you can wear them like a mask, or use them like an improvised Kusari Fundo. You don't train in stockings?

It's just they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

%-}

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I read it as "Its a pet peeve of mine that I have to pay so much for pantyhose when I train in japan"

But what do I know...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prolly no worse than my fuzzy tiger stripe gi.

:D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hose are excellent for tying people up with - you should know all about that, TP.:supcool:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hose are excellent for tying people up with - you should know all about that, TP.:supcool:

Don jumps into the conversation in a desperate attempt to stop it from getting really silly......

You know, this really is not much of a rant... But I remember one guy that was so eager to get his notes done that he had his notebook strapped to his leg and would start writing them out in the middle of class while everyone started in on practicing the move. He even managed to finish in time to practice the moves himself five or six times over the course of the evening.

mpearce

White Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Speaking as a Bujinkan member living in Japan, the outlook I see toward the belt is a heck of a lot different from what I see Fluffy the Korean stylist saying. The outloolk of people I see around me is that it is just a piece of cloth. Putting too much emphisis on it almost seems to be looked on as a form of egotism. The Japanese teachers all get new belts when the old ones get a bit ragged. The guys that come from overseas with belts nearly white with age stand out by comparison.

And those guys, with their big show of having an ancient belt, are the subject of another rant I could give.

the one that I like the best is the guy that wears his belt higher than his elbows. It's like a geek with wearing high water pants, only thing missing is the pocket protector for the secret shiruken pocket.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
People who take translators for granted. This person is giving up part of their training time to help you understand what's being said. A thanks is in order at the very least.

Just as a side note... Last Thursday a guy was in my class and brought two big bottles of Samual Adams for me to show thanks for translating. I hope I did enough for him as a translator to show how gratefull I was. It does not take a bribe (though they don't hurt) it is just damn nice to have someone acknowledge that you are not a peice of furniture and thank you from time to time.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dale Seago said:
What, no single malt?!?

Can get that easily in Japan, and a bit cheaper than I can in the states too I think. Something abotu taxes and import duties. But Sam Adams is pretty rare. I can only get the standard stuff, small bottle at about 3 bucks a pop. Ouch! I can't get any of the seasonals or special brews. So it is nice that one of your students took the time to bring two big bottles of the stuff.:cheers:

Latest Discussions