Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the percentage of women training in everyone's schools here at MT?
Also, what are the general percentages of women in schools you know of or have trained at?
I have an extremely high percentage of females in my class and the newspaper wants to do a story about that this summer, so I would like to have an idea of what is considered average.

Note: I have fixed the poll so you can add more than one answer. That is so you can answer for schools in your area or ones you have trained at in the recent past.

AoG

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this dojo, I'd say our adult class is 30%.
My previous dojo, maybe 10%
In the dojang of years ago, about 10%, as well

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that unusual.

I'm looking forward to this poll filling out.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Huhuuummm....you forgot 0%. In my dojo only 1 woman, but unfortunately she will be out for health for a long time. So I put 5% because she still part of us, but you should add 0% as well.

thesandman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My personal classes are about 45% female, though my classes currently are all children. My adult class here was about 50% female but we're currently on hiatus.

My home school in FL I'd say is between 40-50% female. This is reflective in our higher ranks and instructors as well.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're currently running at 30% but have been as high as fifty for years at a time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nearly half of my students are female. It's a far cry from the smaller numbers of women when I started back in 1982. Yet in every school I've trained in (except mine) at least one instructor was a woman. In my school, I'm the only instructor at this point.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are running three to two women to men, don't know why we use to be 5-1 men to women.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It varies a lot - but mostly between 5% and 40%. I would say it has to do, in part, with the gender of the instructor - but I've been an instructor for 17 years, and my average percentage of female students has always been pretty close to that of male instructors I know.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
in the kids classes there are more boys.
in the teens classes it's 50/50.
and in the adult classes theres more girls.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's up to a dozen students in any given class. Two of the regulars are women. So about 20 percent.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It is nice to see many of you have a good numbers of women training.

This is a good sign times have change from the 70's when very few women every stay long enough to reach Black belts.

Many of the arts have change to be less aggressive than before too....

More women should learn any kind of martial arts....main thing is they all should learn to fight back...and not give up..

Aloha,

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We only have 8 adult students out of about 80 at our school. 6 of them are in the intermediate group, 2 are advanced belts (myself and another guy who's a blue belt). Of those 8, there are 2 women. We also have 2 high school age girls in the advanced group.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the younger kids, but probably about 60-70% of them are girls. Some tough little spuds in there too. They really go after each other when they spar.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a good sign times have change from the 70's when very few women every stay long enough to reach Black belts.

We had I would say at least 20% regular students were women students in the 80's. We had one very good black belt woman student. This was back in the best days of the school -- many students.

Many of the arts have change to be less aggressive than before too....

More women should learn any kind of martial arts....main thing is they all should learn to fight back...and not give up..

Aloha,
TKD is well suited for any person, any sex, gender, or height. I have practiced with a wide variety of different students. We have only one woman Instructor in our group of schools, though, only one who is invited to come to be a Judge at testing.

These days at the branch that I practice at, there are few students, and no women.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In my Dojo I have ~100 students, 44 of whom are female. In my afterschool programs I have ~100 students, 55 of whom are female.

I attribute three reasons as to why the percentage is much higher than when I started training 25 years ago.

1) Societal changes - it is more acceptable for women to be involved in contact sports (Soccer, Hockey, Rugby - everything).
2) Female instructor - my wife is the other instructor in our club and having a strong female presence makes it much more comfortable for women to join - in particular the mothers of children who have or are considering joining.
3) Family environment - when we opened this location 3 1/2 years ago we made a very conscious choice to focus on a family friendly environment that catters to all ages. Prior to this I refused to teach young kids and went way more hardcore in my training. I still train my students hard, but I reserve the hardcore stuff for senior belts and people I know can handle it.

Latest Discussions