Kenpo questions

F

FasterthanDeath

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and have enjoyed reading the forums and decided to join. I have alot of questions and maybe since this is really the only place where I have seen ALOT of kenpo practitioners and I love kenpo. I think its the most scientific and direct martial art known. It tells you where to hit and answers all the what if questions that other arts dont. I just see a couple of things that is hard for me to grasp. Ok Ed parker invented kenpo right? He was a student of James Mitose. He taught Kempo right? So then the Tracey's learned from him as well and they have their own style of kenpo right? So the question is who is in the right? Who's style is correct? I live in arlington texas and have seen Mr. Hazlewoods school and the basics there need some work but I was going to get into a school but dont know which to choose. Any help would be appreciated

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
FasterthanDeath said:
Hello everyone. I am new to this website and have enjoyed reading the forums and decided to join. I have alot of questions and maybe since this is really the only place where I have seen ALOT of kenpo practitioners and I love kenpo. I think its the most scientific and direct martial art known. It tells you where to hit and answers all the what if questions that other arts dont. I just see a couple of things that is hard for me to grasp. Ok Ed parker invented kenpo right? He was a student of James Mitose. He taught Kempo right? So then the Tracey's learned from him as well and they have their own style of kenpo right? So the question is who is in the right? Who's style is correct? I live in arlington texas and have seen Mr. Hazlewoods school and the basics there need some work but I was going to get into a school but dont know which to choose. Any help would be appreciated

One minor correction... Ed Parker learned from William K.S. Chow not James M. Mitose. Although there is some question as to whether or not Mr. Chow ever studied under Mr. Mitose.

Now... The Tracy's version of Kenpo is different from Ed Parker's Kenpo. The difference isn't who's correct, because given the right circumstances both of them are correct. The question in my mind would be which one is more effective, and better suitedfor me.

Lasty, have you had any previous martial arts training? I would assume that you do since you recognize someone's basics as not living up to your expectations. In either case... If I were you, I'd shop all the schools in my area and see which one provides more of what I am looking for and put my money into that establishment.

:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
F-T-D,
Hi and welcome to Martial Talk. We all have our opinions, but I'm afraid that is a question that you have to answer for your self. Which one is right for you? Also, bear in mind you may choose the "better" kenpo liniage, but it may be taught by an inferior instructor. Chech them out for yourself and let us know what questions arise and we will do our best to help you answer them.
Thank you,
Sean :asian:

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo is Kenpo(Kempo), one way or another it is all one big family. Not the happiest of families but a great one to be in....

The instructor you choose is everything. Don't go for the fancy dojo or facilities. Shop around, almost every school will offer a trial program.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of the Admin/Mod team, WELCOME to MartialTalk. You may want to do a search on MT for these threads. We have lots of them, we have Chinese Kenpo, we have American Kenpo, we have TraCo Kenpo, we have Kenpo Karate, we have Kajukembo, we have Shorinji Kempo, we have Kenpo Jui-Jitsu, we have every model, make, and style of Kenpo (anyone see From Dusk til Dawn, just think of Cheech peddling Kenpo)

... not to forget what Mr. Parker did call his art "Hi, my name is Ed Parker, and I teach KENPO KARATE" - no more, no less -

Lineage: Jame Mitose -lots of controversy from the non-Tracy lineage people
Mr. Chow (Thunderbolt), more respected and still lots of history, then you get into the history threads already posted, with people like Professor Bob White, "Doc" Ron Chapel and Dennis Conatser chiming in, along with Kenpo Joe, SumDumGuy, or John Bishop, just to name a few, you have a huge amount of history and perspective through all the variations of Kenpo.

-Michael

OP
R

RCastillo

Michael Billings said:
On behalf of the Admin/Mod team, WELCOME to MartialTalk. You may want to do a search on MT for these threads. We have lots of them, we have Chinese Kenpo, we have American Kenpo, we have TraCo Kenpo, we have Kenpo Karate, we have Kajukembo, we have Shorinji Kempo, we have Kenpo Jui-Jitsu, we have every model, make, and style of Kenpo (anyone see From Dusk til Dawn, just think of Cheech peddling Kenpo)

... not to forget what Mr. Parker did call his art "Hi, my name is Ed Parker, and I teach KENPO KARATE" - no more, no less -

Lineage: Jame Mitose -lots of controversy from the non-Tracy lineage people
Mr. Chow (Thunderbolt), more respected and still lots of history, then you get into the history threads already posted, with people like Professor Bob White, "Doc" Ron Chapel and Dennis Conatser chiming in, along with Kenpo Joe, SumDumGuy, or John Bishop, just to name a few, you have a huge amount of history and perspective through all the variations of Kenpo.

-Michael

Speaking of the Goldendragon where is he? :idunno:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FasterThanDeath said:
Hello everyone. I am new to this website and have enjoyed reading the forums and decided to join. I have a lot of questions and maybe since this is really the only place where I have seen A LOT of kenpo practitioners and I love kenpo. I think its the most scientific and direct martial art known. It tells you where to hit and answers all the what if questions that other arts don't.
Welcome to Martial Talk FTD! Most of us in here will share your enthusiasm and views on our wonderful art of EPAK.

FasterThanDeath said:

Ed parker invented kenpo right?

Ed Parker was a student of William K. S. Chow. Many of Chow's students were exceptional Martial Artists and went on to develop their own unique "Systems". Ed Parker is known for developing "Ed Parkers American Kenpo", in which he was the primary architect.

FasterThanDeath said:

He was a student of James Mitose.

No, he was never a student of Mitoses.

FasterThanDeath said:

He taught Kempo right?

Mitose taught his own interpretation of what he wanted.
FasterThanDeath said:

The Tracey's learned from him (Ed Parker).

Yes
. They received their black belts from Ed Parker in his system, then went their own way in the mid 60's.

FasterThanDeath said:

Now they have their own style of Kenpo right?

That is correct, a system based on early Ed Parker curriculum and teachings.
FasterThanDeath said:

My question is who is in the right?

Both are Ed Parker based. However, Ed Parker was a continual innovator and continually updated and evolved his system and teaching methods.

FasterThanDeath said:

Who's style is correct?

Correct depends on your interpretation of the word. Since both are Based on Ed Parker, they both have value, however, it would make logical sense to keep current or updated just as in using software today. Old software works, but the new versions have more amenities and unique values and benefits.
:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
Speaking of the Goldendragon where is he? :idunno:
I just got back from taking Stephen to the D-Backs whipping of the Giants tonight! 3 game sweep! man did we need that one!!

:partyon:

p.s. Don't worry, I'm still keeping my eye on you!

OP
R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:

Welcome to Martial Talk FTD! Most of us in here will share your enthusiasm and views on our wonderful art of EPAK.

Ed Parker was a student of William K. S. Chow. Many of Chow's students were exceptional Martial Artists and went on to develop their own unique "Systems". Ed Parker is known for developing "Ed Parkers American Kenpo", in which he was the primary architect.

No, he was never a student of Mitoses.

Mitose taught his own interpretation of what he wanted.

Yes
. They received their black belts from Ed Parker in his system, then went their own way in the mid 60's.

That is correct, a system based on early Ed Parker curriculum and teachings.

Both are Ed Parker based. However, Ed Parker was a continual innovator and continually updated and evolved his system and teaching methods.

Correct depends on your interpretation of the word. Since both are Based on Ed Parker, they both have value, however, it would make logical sense to keep current or updated just as in using software today. Old software works, but the new versions have more amenities and unique values and benefits.
:)

All good points, and on the serious side, since the art form has evolved many times over since the passing of the SGM with many leaders, and continual breakdowns, have we reached the end?

How much more can be done with the human anatomy in terms of movement?(offensive/defensive)

Or has it come full circle, to where we're back to the starting block of simplicity?

I'll borrow "Doc's past line. "But, I could be wrong!" :)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the end, the instructor, as stated above, makes all of the difference. Make sure the instructor studied under a real person (as opposed to getting a black belt through the mail), and check out his/her teaching style. If you have a choice of instructors and/or Kenpo styles, try them out and see which one fits you best. Most "legit" Kenpo instructors will provide a positive learning experience, so go with one which suits your needs. If you wait around to find out which instructor/lineage/style/system is "in the right", you'll never get started. Best to jump in and test the waters. Good luck, and tell us how it goes.

Latest Discussions