Paxtial Arts

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So as a kenpo guy I know a few details of this. It's Ed Parker Jrs system he developed which is a non aggressive style to subdue opponents. I've seen and done a few techniques of it and it works but it focuses more on soft training it reminds me more of tai chi or aikido. It's taught in weekend courses where at the end where your qualified to teach it which to me makes me a bit skeptical but I mean I don't know Newley enough to pass judgement does anyone have any real experience with this

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I can see, it's a collection of basic soft techniques common to many martial arts, collected and presented as a complete system of self defense. It appears to be positioned as a non-violent alternative to martial arts for those who prefer concepts rather than reality. No blood will be spilled, but parents' wallets will be emptied.

Looks like a great business opportunity for the unqualified to teach the useless to the gullible.

Just my opinion based on a quick survey of what's online.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know how people say it is not the art it is the practitioner? Well now I can just show them this video.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I can see, it's a collection of basic soft techniques common to many martial arts, collected and presented as a complete system of self defense. It appears to be positioned as a non-violent alternative to martial arts for those who prefer concepts rather than reality. No blood will be spilled, but parents' wallets will be emptied.

Looks like a great business opportunity for the unqualified to teach the useless to the gullible.

Just my opinion based on a quick survey of what's online.
I'll bet this proves more useful than 80% of what you are learning, my point being you swallowed quite a big pill, yourself.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ed Parker kenpo is not supposed to be non violent. The system is very violent, what is peaceful about kicking and punching and elbowing someone until they fall to the floor bleeding?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ed Parker kenpo is not supposed to be non violent. The system is very violent, what is peaceful about kicking and punching and elbowing someone until they fall to the floor bleeding?

Is that your only capability? You can't remedy a situation without hurting them?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo is about doing that safely.

Is that your only capability? You can't remedy a situation without hurting them?

Yes when it comes to training of course you want to do it safely but let's be honest here. Martial arts are designed to either kill, martial means war, or harm them enough so you can espace safely. That is what kenpo is about it above else, so to remove the violence from it and do everything "peacefully" doesn't seem to be kenpo at all.

That seems more like aikido to me. If someone attacks me and they are not a friend or a family member, I will not go easy on them, I have kind of went easy on this guy who attacked me at a party and what happened to me?

I got popped in the face, luckily it was just a graze but that could have been a lot worse, if I went full force on him as soon as the fight started instead of going easy on him, that wouldnt have happened at all.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is his son. A non-martial artist, I believe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes when it comes to training of course you want to do it safely but let's be honest here. Martial arts are designed to either kill, martial means war, or harm them enough so you can espace safely. That is what kenpo is about it above else, so to remove the violence from it and do everything "peacefully" doesn't seem to be kenpo at all.

That seems more like aikido to me. If someone attacks me and they are not a friend or a family member, I will not go easy on them, I have kind of went easy on this guy who attacked me at a party and what happened to me?

I got popped in the face, luckily it was just a graze but that could have been a lot worse, if I went full force on him as soon as the fight started instead of going easy on him, that wouldnt have happened at all.

You dont live in a vacuum. Your actions have consequences.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is his son. A non-martial artist, I believe.

He got his 1st black from a very respected teacher and then did not pursue rank further. He took on an "Ambassador" title as he wasn't trying to be a successor. I took a seminar from him and I think this idea was in its earliest stages, but he was a decent martial artist and he presented the material well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He got his 1st black from a very respected teacher and then did not pursue rank further. He took on an "Ambassador" title as he wasn't trying to be a successor. I took a seminar from him and I think this idea was in its earliest stages, but he was a decent martial artist and he presented the material well.

The story of a lot of martial arts.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Did you kill the guy? If not, why not?

You probably did enough to stop the guy, which is perfectly appropriate. What if you could stop him without hurting him, would that make your martial art no longer kenpo? Is your only tool a hammer?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

OK, if cover is your goal, and you know how to fight, I think there is a severe lack of kenpo, if you lose sight of your goal, and decide it is about the fight. LOL

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you kill the guy? If not, why not?

You probably did enough to stop the guy, which is perfectly appropriate. What if you could stop him without hurting him, would that make your martial art no longer kenpo? Is your only tool a hammer?

Because there was no need for murder, he ran away from me, if the person is running away from me then there are not a threat to me. I tried the nonviolent route and tried talking him down and that didn't work.

Latest Discussions