Paxtial Arts

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker kenpo is not supposed to be non violent. The system is very violent, what is peaceful about kicking and punching and elbowing someone until they fall to the floor bleeding?
Because it's not kenpo hence the name of this thread

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He got his 1st black from a very respected teacher and then did not pursue rank further. He took on an "Ambassador" title as he wasn't trying to be a successor. I took a seminar from him and I think this idea was in its earliest stages, but he was a decent martial artist and he presented the material well.
Well to be honest is any kenpo instructor going to fail ed Parkers son in all honesty. I'm not saying he's not good though because I've never seen him train but I've seen posts of his on facebook and from what I see he doesn't really like the kenpo lineage. I think he feels there's to many people taking advantage of his fathers work. I reckon that's why he did his Paxtial arts to try and do his own thing away from kenpo

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No. If it does then it has not been shown to me.
There are plenty of techniques where you don't actually have to hurt the person plenty of wrist lock and choke holds and some where yes you have to hit them but not in an extreme way of causing severe damage just enough to distract them and subdue them. Don't take this the wrong way but from what I've read you seem to have a big ego where you seem to need to prove yourself. If someone tries to hurt you you hurt them back where you could simply have subdued them. Who cares if girls are watching or if you can't show off your muscles I think you should read up on philosophies of martial arts and not just think about the physical side

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well to be honest is any kenpo instructor going to fail ed Parkers son in all honesty. I'm not saying he's not good though because I've never seen him train but I've seen posts of his on facebook and from what I see he doesn't really like the kenpo lineage. I think he feels there's to many people taking advantage of his fathers work. I reckon that's why he did his Paxtial arts to try and do his own thing away from kenpo
He like his lineage just fine. I think you mean the bickering and politics.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the techniques in this system doesn't cause pain, then what stops the attacker from getting back up to attack again?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are working in a protective service field you will sometimes be tasked to control someone while doing as little physical damage as possible. Likewise, it may raise it's head in a social context where an overkill approach just won't be any good or legally defensible. (make you feel awful, afterwards, too) You really can't undo a broken jaw.

Ironbear, my guess is you'll be exposed to these type of techniques at some point. You'll probably be good at them, too.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Any instructor that would be honest to him and have respect for the memory of his father.

Ed Parker Jr. saw the sausage being made and probably has insights that we on the outside will never have, it is bound to impact his opinion.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are working in a protective service field you will sometimes be tasked to control someone while doing as little physical damage as possible. Likewise, it may raise it's head in a social context where an overkill approach just won't be any good or legally defensible. (make you feel awful, afterwards, too) You really can't undo a broken jaw.

Ironbear, my guess is you'll be exposed to these type of techniques at some point. You'll probably be good at them, too.

Thank you. People pointed out that the tools are there for me to use, but I don't know to use those tools in that manner. I probably just have to look at them and figure hiw they can be used to "subdue" instead of destroy.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of techniques where you don't actually have to hurt the person plenty of wrist lock and choke holds and some where yes you have to hit them but not in an extreme way of causing severe damage just enough to distract them and subdue them. Don't take this the wrong way but from what I've read you seem to have a big ego where you seem to need to prove yourself. If someone tries to hurt you you hurt them back where you could simply have subdued them. Who cares if girls are watching or if you can't show off your muscles I think you should read up on philosophies of martial arts and not just think about the physical side

I will never become offended by constructive criticism. I have a natural tendency to try to impress people and its been there since I first started martial arts as a nerdy teenager.

I don't know why exactly but that's just something I do, I like impress people because if I do then that tells me I'm good at what I am doing.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I will never become offended by constructive criticism. I have a natural tendency to try to impress people and its been there since I first started martial arts as a nerdy teenager.

I don't know why exactly but that's just something I do, I like impress people because if I do then that tells me I'm good at what I am doing.

That's understandable and again I'm not judging but I think you should know in yourself if your good why does the opinion of some random people who've probably never trained a day in their life matter. I know that's a common thing of people wanting a black belt because anyone untrained can associate a black belt with being an expert but some black belts are really useless and even though people will think they're good they'll know themselves that they're not as good

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the techniques in this system doesn't cause pain, then what stops the attacker from getting back up to attack again?

Common sense on the part of both parties.

By the way if you can make your fight hilarious. Less likely to have other people jump in.

Street fighting trick. Be funny.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Common sense on the part of both parties.

By the way if you can make your fight hilarious. Less likely to have other people jump in.

Street fighting trick. Be funny.
Yeah you are saying that to a person who is known to be serious all the time, and my wife nicked named me grumpy. I don't think there's enough funny in me to make something hilarious. But I can make people Chuckle, and Grin

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah you are saying that to a person who is known to be serious all the time, and my wife nicked named me grumpy. I don't think there's enough funny in me to make something hilarious. But I can make people Chuckle, and Grin

I did it when I bounced. It stops their friends jumping in.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just learned of this system. Looks like Systema to me. I like the idea of someone developing a good nonviolent system for those who want it or need it--e.g., those who work with the mentally ill. It's true that teaching a school kid to poke out eyes for self-defense against bullies isn't very useful. I'm all for someone developing the optimal thoroughly pacifist martial art and having it available. I am, uh, unconvinced that this is it. Aikido has some history and experience behind it. I will probably continue recommending that as a base for those who want this sort of thing, and boxing-and-BJJ for self-defense against school bullies.

OP
K

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just learned of this system. Looks like Systema to me. I like the idea of someone developing a good nonviolent system for those who want it or need it--e.g., those who work with the mentally ill. It's true that teaching a school kid to poke out eyes for self-defense against bullies isn't very useful. I'm all for someone developing the optimal thoroughly pacifist martial art and having it available. I am, uh, unconvinced that this is it. Aikido has some history and experience behind it. I will probably continue recommending that as a base for those who want this sort of thing, and boxing-and-BJJ for self-defense against school bullies.
A think an eye poke would be perfect to use on a school bully tbh just a quick eye flick to distract them cause them a bit of pain to stop the attack giving you opportunity to run and find a teacher or get into a crowded area where the bully wouldn't try anything

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd be afraid to teach a school kid that for self-defense for fear that an eye injury--even just, say, a corneal scratch that results in something like a 15% vision loss--could lead to a large lawsuit. I'd figure it'd be the right time to be risk-averse.

Latest Discussions