patches

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder... abou the patches we wear in the left side of our doboks or gis, when they apera or were invented, and what was the meaning of this or the intencion of wear patches?

Manny

Sabo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Close to your heart? all the best in the arts
That is very similar to what I tell my students so that they remember which side to attach the patch ( which happens to be our MSK patch) "place it over your heart where it is closest."

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't like patches, it seems that people have a hard time getting them on in the right place and keeping them on. I hate a sloppy dobok.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Altho' I was tempted to chime in with "Patches?! We don't need no stinking patches!", I am actually genunely interested to hear if there are any 'real' reasons for the wearing of patches on gi. Is it a TKD development or an American 'thing'?

Because MJER is a koryu art, not only do we not have patches on our clothing but we wear no signs of rank either. Back in my Lau days too, we just wore black gi and our belts. Same for all the karate schools I have seen over here (with the proviso of 'at that time').

Latest Discussions