Partners in Martial Arts training

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
My theory is that cooperative partners are good as long as you get a cooperative attacker....

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand this is a two-sided coin. On the heads side it is likely to be a good idea if your partner is almost giving it to you until you get it down well, then make it a little harder, and progressively harder. That makes it so that you can get it real well because lets face it, in a fight the other person will hit hard and not want to fall, be put in a lock and so forth. But if they continually let you have it, so to speak, you will not have truly learned to do it the way you probably will in a fight. But if even the first time they make contact really hard, or resist as much as possible, then you're likely not going to learn the technique very well, or build up enough confidence to spar well. In Coung Nhu, at brown belt, you can sweep other brown belts and above, and normally they will start to hit hard at this point as well. Knowing when to increase the degree of difficultly should be a verbal agreement between you and your partner, so you both know and agree that it's time make it a little harder. Same with sparring. Most of the time if you go into sparring and really pound on your partner, and don't let them know your going to ahead of time, well it wont be pleasant. There are other folks who have posted this; i'm merely restating it with my own thoughts. Any-who what ever works for you.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Latest Discussions