Feeding off of the energy of a training partner

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know if this makes me a weak MA or what, but I noticed recently that as I train, I seem to work more or less to match the intensity/level of my training partners. That's great for me if I pair up with somebody who is either a powerful striker that gives it their all every time or somebody more experienced than myself. I tend to get the best workouts in those situations and learn more.

OTOH when I end up paired with a newbie or a weak striker, my intensity goes down to match theirs. Also with newbies I like to help them learn, but it usually comes a bit at cost to my own learning. I wonder if it's possible that I regress a bit myself when that happens. Certainly I miss getting the higher level workout.But for some reason it seems to act like a magic downer for me, if my partner is hitting with hesitation/softly, I can't seem to muster enthusiasm when my turn comes. I know I should be able to, this does worry me.

Last night I was paired with someone who was on her first week of Krav Maga and I spent half the time correcting how she held the pad. When I remember that in my first week I, too needed a lot of help and correction on basic stuff like that I feel like a jerk for wishing I never had to pair with newbies.

BTW I am still a level one, but what you might call an "experienced beginner" after 4 months of KM training. Is my dilemma a normal one? I feel like I am being very immature and I want to be able to just snap out of it.

Advice?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Training down is ok if you remember to stay a little above the person you train with. This helps them advance while not over whelming them. If you train at their level you increase the risk of your getting hurt. Once I a while just kick it up a notch above what you are going at and see if they respond.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I think we all have gone through the experence of training down.
I know I certianly have . Most of the time it is a good experence but as i said in the other post be careful not to go down to far.
For you to learn to teach some day you mustknow how to train at a lower level than you are for the sake of your students

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Training down is ok if you remember to stay a little above the person you train with. This helps them advance while not over whelming them. If you train at their level you increase the risk of your getting hurt. Once I a while just kick it up a notch above what you are going at and see if they respond.

Agreed! I am currently Rokyu in Uechi-ryu and have recently been given the opportunity to work with beginners. For me this 'training down' isn't that far to go, and I have learned that my Sensei allows this as part of training for me as well. I get to see moves and forms from a different and closer perspective.

My Sensei is a big believer of passing on what one know...and I try not to go past that. When there are questions, he is always around to answer.

As far as feeling a partners energy...there have been times that I can feel it and other times that I am either concentrating too hard...or distracted to feel anything. I am finding that as my training progresses I feel the energy more consistently.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we all go through that. More experienced students should traing at just above the level of the less experienced students, this gives them something to work up to without frustrating them, but watch out, it's the newbies that hurt you. The more experienced your partner, the harder you can go with less risk of being hurt, because they should have more control of their own body and their technique. It's also amazing how much you can learn from beginners.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your training partner has a big impact on your training so I think its important to carefully pick your regular partners, and to be able to adjust up or down depending upon who you are training with.
I also think it helps to keep your head on straight by working with both those more advanced and less advanced than yourself. You see how far you have come, and yet you still have far to go.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I reached a certain level of training I began to spar and practice with only those equal or above me. When my instructor noticed this he made me teach the children and spar with them. He also made me spar and train only with the beginners for a month. He wanted me to “SEE” and “Feel” more .
After each class and some times in the middle of class he would tell e why the newer student was not able to learn from what I was doing. As I learned to tone down my workout I learned to teach and to feel what was needed to help the newer students.
I may not have appreciated what he did at the moment but I sure as hell learned more than I thought I was learning. Now I am thankful for that very important lesson in teaching and humility

Master Chartier thank you for mhelping me become what I am today RIP

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with the fact that you should go a bit higher than your partner. It will make them that much better. I have had many people do that for me and we should all pass it on.

What you can't underestimate is how much you really learn from helping teach others who are lesser skilled than you. The breaking down, explaining and analyzing of the techniques while teaching or helping has made me that much better.

Lately I have had to cut back on my training hours due to worldly events and obligations. I have changed my training attitude and intensity. I go as hard as I can on every drill, basic or excerscise if Sensei asks for 10, I give him 20. It seems to be working, I feel a lot sharper with less training and I have started to lose weight again.

Instead of me feeding off my training partners they are feeding off me. We all make each other better. Today I may help you up and push you along, tomorrow you will do the same for me. Thats what its all about.

-Marc-

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
There for a few years I didn't many opportunities to work out with other black belts, only me color belt level students. I then decided tho jump into tournaments, right out of the blue. The results were not good.

I have since made it a point to ensure that I have a venue to train my own skills at my level in addition to working with my students.

Mark

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the best idea is to train with all levels, and if you have the opportunity , to train with practitioners of other styles as well.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
These replies have given me something to think about. I will look at training down as an opportunity for me to understand the basics better. Thanks to all for responding.

Latest Discussions