Pants for wide waisted women

jg1234

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I'm an academy owner and I have a student with very wide hips and I am having an impossible time finding pants that will fit her well and allow her to be comfortable and move with ease. I have tried every ProForce pant I can find and nothing fits. I have also tried Judo pants with pull string tightening. Any ideas or suppliers with pants for wide waisted students?

Thanks so much!

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have had the same issue recently. I found that the Century 8oz traditional waist pants work for most, but outside of that I have had to custom order. It seems like so many uniform brands as they go up in size they get significantly longer but not much wider in the waist.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, jg1234, hope you enjoy it here.

What I did in the past when I encountered this was buy a pair of gi pants that were way too big. Washed and dried them several times in case of shrinkage, then I took them to the local tailor who cut and hemmed to proper length, and took in the legs a little.

Some might say it was a waste of my time, but I never found it so. Working out in Martial Arts is difficult enough as it is, helping along at the beginning might help someone, you never know.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An average seamstress (“I adjust hems, curtains (drapes), ball gowns…” you know the type) will be able to accommodate her sizes requirements, I’m sure. I get all my Budo clothing custom made for an aesthetically pleasing fit, better quality stitching and materials etc and they are about the same price as those offered by martial arts suppliers!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just by way of example, a couple of iaido keikogi with hidden internal highlights. All seams are double stitche, it’s cotton and a perfect fit! They cost me £50!

17C57C33-77DA-4399-9779-1967E7301424.jpeg
EEA0C893-B36D-42D8-9D63-A632A34B4B8B.jpeg

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For tai chi back in the day, we had these cotton baggy pants, which I think were maternity pants. Maybe look for loose-fitting casual maternity pants? Sorry, I'm not sure of their durability.
Link

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I get a uniform that fits my waist and then have the legs hemmed.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a uniform that fits my waist and then have the legs hemmed.
Sometimes the most obvious idea evade ones mind 😀 Wish i’d thought of that! 😂

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just by way of example, a couple of iaido keikogi with hidden internal highlights. All seams are double stitche, it’s cotton and a perfect fit! They cost me £50!

View attachment 28527View attachment 28528
When you first had things like this done, did you just brting in an example for them to work from? I've always wanted a custom-made Judo gi (I really like the heavy fabric), without the extra padding in the shawl (so it's easier to grab/harder to defend).

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you first had things like this done, did you just brting in an example for them to work from? I've always wanted a custom-made Judo gi (I really like the heavy fabric), without the extra padding in the shawl (so it's easier to grab/harder to defend).
Yes exactly. I took an old keikogi to her and she took it apart for the pattern. She showed me examples of cloth and I chose one! She can also scale these up or down in size for other people.

Interestingly, when I picked them up, she said on dismantling the Japanese keikogi she thought they used a very strange way of cutting the cloth that was so unnecessary. Then on laying the pattern out to cut out the fresh cotton, she realise it was actually extremely efficient with hardly any wasted fabric! She was really impressed😄

Latest Discussions