palgwes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the fact is I learned palgwes bafore I got my shodan, then we had to change the poomsae patterns to taeguks to follow the kukiwon/wtf way, that was way back in 1986-87.

I really don't recall palgwes, I had certain flashes of them but sadly don't recall any single one completly for that matter I went to you tube to see this old forms and I really like them I can say I like them like the taeguks but I felt the old palgwes are prettier than the blocky taeguks.

These days we don't do palgwes anymore, in fact I can tell since 1986-87.

How many of you still do palgwes in dojang?

Will you change them for the taeguks?

Manny

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the fact is I learned palgwes bafore I got my shodan, then we had to change the poomsae patterns to taeguks to follow the kukiwon/wtf way, that was way back in 1986-87.

I really don't recall palgwes, I had certain flashes of them but sadly don't recall any single one completly for that matter I went to you tube to see this old forms and I really like them I can say I like them like the taeguks but I felt the old palgwes are prettier than the blocky taeguks.

These days we don't do palgwes anymore, in fact I can tell since 1986-87.

How many of you still do palgwes in dojang?

Will you change them for the taeguks?

Manny

We did Palgwes exclusive till 1974 then started Taeguks, explanation at the time was these are easier to do for Caucasian new students? since then we still require all Palgwes and Taeguks to be done for 1st Dan. I tend to start adding in the Palgwes now around 5th Gup and teach students to do them for demo or open forms competition I like them for thier Bunki applications.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We didn't change until at least 2000 and I'm not old enough to remember Palgwe's that well.

However, to watch I much prefer the Taeguk forms although I realize I'm in a minority. :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only do palgwes, our GM is not very fond of the taegeks. I really enjoy the palgwes and if I were to ever start my own tkd club they are the ones I would teach. I really dont know much about the taegeks but from what Ive seen of them watching other clubs do demos I dont think Id be much of a fan of them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been wondering this for awhile, how does one pronounce Pal Gwe? I've heard "Paul Gay" & "Paul Gway." Both said by native Koreans. A little help, please.

Thank you!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been wondering this for awhile, how does one pronounce Pal Gwe? I've heard "Paul Gay" & "Paul Gway." Both said by native Koreans. A little help, please.

Thank you!
Most aussies say it "pal-gway", but the koreans I train with laugh at this and they pronounce it "pol-gay".

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our school (Moo Duk Kwan, but students have the option of dan certifications from either the Pan American Moo Duk Kwan or the Kukkiwon) and we do the palgwe forms. Some of us (though not many) practice both the palgwe and taeguk. Personally, I prefer the palgwe forms, but I think they are all useful learning tools.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school (Moo Duk Kwan, but students have the option of dan certifications from either the Pan American Moo Duk Kwan or the Kukkiwon) and we do the palgwe forms. Some of us (though not many) practice both the palgwe and taeguk. Personally, I prefer the palgwe forms, but I think they are all useful learning tools.
Does your school only offer kukkiwon certification to those students who know the taegek forms?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, to watch I much prefer the Taeguk forms although I realize I'm in a minority. :)

I prefer the Taeguek poomsae as well, if for no other reason than they are the official poomsae that guep holders are supposed to practice in the Kukkiwon world.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does your school only offer kukkiwon certification to those students who know the taegek forms?

Honestly, I am not sure. There has only been one black belt awarded since we joined the school, and he does only the palgwe forms and chose certification through the Moo Duk Kwan.

I do think that if you've learned one set of forms, it would not be difficult to learn the other. I studied only the palgwe forms until after I had been promoted to 1st geup. At that point, it took me 5-6 weeks to learn the taegeuks.

Am I correct in understanding that by Kukkiwon standards, 1st dan is awarded after all the taegeuk forms are learned (along with the other material, obviously) and Korryo is learned for promotion from 1st dan to 2nd?
The Moo Duk Kwan requires all 8 palgwe forms and Korryo for promotion to 1st dan.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I am not sure. There has only been one black belt awarded since we joined the school, and he does only the palgwe forms and chose certification through the Moo Duk Kwan.

I do think that if you've learned one set of forms, it would not be difficult to learn the other. I studied only the palgwe forms until after I had been promoted to 1st geup. At that point, it took me 5-6 weeks to learn the taegeuks.

Am I correct in understanding that by Kukkiwon standards, 1st dan is awarded after all the taegeuk forms are learned (along with the other material, obviously) and Korryo is learned for promotion from 1st dan to 2nd?
The Moo Duk Kwan requires all 8 palgwe forms and Korryo for promotion to 1st dan.
Im not sure about kukkiwon, but where I train it is the 8 palgwe forms and koryo for promotion to first dan.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my dojang (my sambonim is Kukiwon certificated and adheres to the kukiwon and wtf set of rules) to do 1sta dan black belt promotion the studente must to perform taeguk 1 to taegunk 8 and Koryo, for second dan if taeguk 5 to taeguk 8 + Koryo and Kungam.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im not sure about kukkiwon, but where I train it is the 8 palgwe forms and koryo for promotion to first dan.

That is our standard as well.

I did check, and apparently it's up to the candidate if they want the Moo Duk Kwan or Kukkiwon certification, and (although I know it's not Kukkiwon compliant) they do not have to learn the taegeuk forms. Their training, however, will be one rank higher than their Kukkiwon certificate, since Korryo is the obligatory form for chodan in this school.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At our school for first Dan 1 thru 8 taguek forms. Testing for second Dan was 1 thru 8 taguek forms, koreo, and 1 thru 8 palgwe forms.

Latest Discussions