Sparring Gear - Getting More Comfortable In It

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone! I am relatively new to TKD (not to martial arts). I started this year and I am 38. I have to admit that I feel clumsy trying to execute certain kicks while in sparring gear. Back kick, hook kick and axe kick all come off slower than I would like. I struggle to make this kicks connect against some opponents. I am seeking advice to improve the situation. Does anyone practice at home in sparring gear - at least in the chest protector? Thank you in advance for your wisdom, tips and suggestions.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have the same issues as you do with executing certain techniques with the sparring gear on. I have practiced some at home with the gear to try and improve my speed (not nearly as much as I'd like), but it did seem to help out some.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Practice your forms wearing the gear. Seriously. We often forget that the motions in patterns are supposed to be actualized real combat movement if done with that intent in mind and if so, then both your sparring AND pattern work would improve through practice with bulky gear on.

If you know some forms with ax kicks and hook kicks, great. If not, it's a simple matter to throw some in at logical spots in the form.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 48, and my kicks "come off slower than I'd like" too. That's free with age, but doesn't mean you can't get faster. It sounds like you're relating this to your gear.

My first question is whether your hogu fits right, as getting the right match for length is important. If it's too long or not worn high enough, it can get in the way. Your hogu should be loose enough that you can still take big breaths without interference and it should not interfere with your hip movement either.

Please give more specifics about what's going on.

Carl

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 48, and my kicks "come off slower than I'd like" too. That's free with age, but doesn't mean you can't get faster. It sounds like you're relating this to your gear.

My first question is whether your hogu fits right, as getting the right match for length is important. If it's too long or not worn high enough, it can get in the way. Your hogu should be loose enough that you can still take big breaths without interference and it should not interfere with your hip movement either.

Please give more specifics about what's going on.

Carl

Carl,

I hate to sound like such a newbie, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it is fitting well. It seems OK. However, I am much, much faster without it. What I'm feeling with axe kick is it sort is in the way of raising my leg. Therefore, I have to swing outside a little - like a crescent kick - and then back in. For back kicking, I am feel clumsy when I turn. I don't have quickness and the attack is to slow to be effective. Hook kick is similar.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carl,

I hate to sound like such a newbie, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it is fitting well. It seems OK. However, I am much, much faster without it. What I'm feeling with axe kick is it sort is in the way of raising my leg. Therefore, I have to swing outside a little - like a crescent kick - and then back in. For back kicking, I am feel clumsy when I turn. I don't have quickness and the attack is to slow to be effective. Hook kick is similar.
I would have to agree with StudentCarl, your gear should have no effects on your speed of techniques. If this is the case then I would think that you gear is too big and that you are not performing your techniques correctly as to compensate for areas of the gear that are in the way of normal movement.

I know that many larger people in the middle sections tend to get larger hogus because of the wrap around not being enough. For example, I am 6'2" and I am suppose to use a size 4 (but I don't, I use a 3), But there are guys that are 5'10" or even shorter that use a size 5 or even a 6 to fit all the way around them better but then get pinched off at the hips, preventing the legs from being able to have full range of motion.

If you can't chamber normally then you can't kick normally or as fast. But your gear should fit and you should be just as fast if all is fitting correctly.

Buy the way a 4 would fit me also but I just like the way the 3 feels. In competition I am forced to ware a 4.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I'm feeling with axe kick is it sort is in the way of raising my leg. Therefore, I have to swing outside a little - like a crescent kick - and then back in.
A couple of ideas: 1) at next sparring practice, try on some other people's hogus and get a feel for different sizes; 2) talk with your master/experienced athletes at your school--show them exactly what's going on so they can help; 3) it's not ideal, but you may need to lean back a little to clear your hogu--adaptations like this come with spending time in your gear.

For back kicking, I am feel clumsy when I turn. I don't have quickness and the attack is to slow to be effective. Hook kick is similar.
Because the shoulders and hips don't turn as a single unit in a spin kick, it's important for your hogu to be above your hips. You'll also feel like the hogu restricts your trunk, but some of that is unavoidable--try adjusting how tightly you tie it. Most committed athletes I know wear the smallest hogu they can get away with, and ATC gives an example of that.

Good luck.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check the size of the gear you wear. According to my instructors and the sizing charts that come with hogus I should be a size 4. In a size 4 I feel very uncomfortable and it inhibits many techniques. I would always ask to wear a size 3 but people would look at me and tell me I should wear a 4. Eventually I went and bought my own hogu in a size 3, which is technically too small for me but I love it, its heaps more comfortable. My new instructor lets us pad up as much or as little as we like, for the past 12 months Im only wearing a mouth guard, I really hate being all padded up and will only wear pads now at gradings because its compulsory.

Latest Discussions