Pads work in wing chun

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes or no?

Why and how do you use them in a VT specific way?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you specifically asking about focus mitts work? Or ANY pads in general?

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any pads. Personally I like Thai pads and body shields which can be used to train chase and hit centre of mass, but I have also seen some interesting focus mit drills on youtube, especially from VT Lille and from Ernie Barrios.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes or no?

Why and how do you use them in a VT specific way?

Yes, at times.

Why? mostly to train a drill or action that otherwise would severely injure the training partners after one rep.

How? For example, we train in regular everyday street clothes and shoes...kicking or getting kicked to the shin bone really sucks; so, we'll pad up that area and train harder/longer...etc. We try not to go overboard with the padding though.

Thai pads and body shields would be another example. These are just so the WC guy can really unleash on the 'live dummy' and not worry about injuring them. I think these sort of training sessions are good once in awhile just so the WC guy can know/understand their own power levels.

But other than this, we mostly just train as we are.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use focus mitts for a lot of drills, but not the way boxers do. Some of the Escrima guys I work with have a strong boxing foundation, and they have raised pad work to a real art. But it's an art based on building boxing attributes. What we do in our WC group is basic by comparison, but geared to WC attributes.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use focus mitts and kicking shields. Shield for (wait for it) kicks! And knees as well.
Focus mitts for gates drilling and counter-attacks. The pad feeder is not only feeding but is learning to angle their attacks at the basic feeding level. At the intermediate level of feeding they are learning countering timing & at the advanced level they have the counter attacking angles, timing, range awareness & control.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you make focus pad drills that don't de-train wing chun attributes?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you make focus pad drills that don't de-train wing chun attributes?
How? By thinking outside the box. By punching with one pad while holding the other on your chest to be punched. The puncher has to intercept and counter using proper form, structure, and positioning or they get hit.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How? By thinking outside the box. By punching with one pad while holding the other on your chest to be punched. The puncher has to intercept and counter using proper form, structure, and positioning or they get hit.

That sounds like a good approach, thanks. Do you tend to do one step stuff with this, or do you free form?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We start by doing specific single attacks then develop into specific combos and finally free flow.
We also develop into elbows, knees, & kicks as well as having to defend against them.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds good. Do you have any clips?

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I mean video. There are not many good clips of wing chun pad work around. I think that used like boxing pads it has the potential to de-train wing chun

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to see a good videoclip too. Good drills and training routines that are not lineage-specific could be very useful. Unfortunately, I get the impression that Danny is about as likely to getting around to making clips as I am. There's so much to do, and it's just not a priority ...especially since I'm not computer savvy and have never posted a clip. :(

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The main problem I see with these (and most wing chun pad work) is that they promote the idea of block then hit, they train blocking from and hitting to different distances, they don't train core wing chun punching method due to wrong distance, and they train wrong stepping.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun must function at more than one distance to be relevant to real fighting.

OP
G

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun must function at more than one distance to be relevant to real fighting.

The way many of these are doing it they train blocking the hand then punching the hand. They don't appear to train wing chun punching as a padded up person can.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one likes to get punched full force to the head, even when wearing protective gear. So the hand-held pads make a good substitute.

Latest Discussions