Our parents ate disgusting things Or: NO, DO NOT MAKE ROOM FOR JELLO

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First, I saw this:

While I LOVE eggs benedict and I like bananas, there is NO excuse for combining the two, EVER.
Then, I saw this:
1361941514-0.jpg

Again, three things that are good separately, but, should never, ever be combined, Jello, Apples and Shrimp.

Finally, I stumbled across this article:

[h=1]Making, and Eating, the 1950s’ Most Nauseating Jell-O Soaked Recipes[/h]I may never eat Jello again

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What on earth where the "creators" of these recipes smoking? I'll have to ask my folks about these atrocities.. .

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reckon my mum used to make the banana creation, you just brought back some memories of tasting it when I was young and not knowing what to think of it, just knowing I had to finish everything on mu plate. If I remember correctly, it's not the taste that's the problem, it's the smell.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ham and melon is very good together, I don't think banana and ham would be much different.

and - one can't tell by just looking - what flavor is the gelatin in the second picture?

Sweet and savory does actually (under certain circumstances) go quiet well together (like pork and pineapple!)

but - unless the gelatin is aspic and stuffed with meaty goodness, maybe the odd mushroom or olive, I am not a fan of jello....

the husband seems to be a good sport - and void of taste buds...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ham and melon is very good together, I don't think banana and ham would be much different.
It isn't the ham that bothers me, it is the hollandaise.
Were the bananas sliced, it would look like the banana split from the insane asylum...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
then again, i had a lady tell me she loved banana sandwiches with mayo, not so much different form the hollandaise... :lol:

But I love pictures from the eaver Cleaver era...things were so much easier back then!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the UK in the early fifties there weren't any bananas, there was still rationing. there's stories of when they were able to ship them back young people who'd never seen one were eating them skin and all, the same with oranges.
For weird food you should see what the Brits were eating during the war. it wasn't by choice though, it's all they had, rationing didn't finally stop until 1954.

http://recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime.php

http://www.allthatwomenwant.co.uk/wartimerecipes.htm

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me this is just wrong. I understand that some sweet stuff goes with savory but for some reason I have never managed to accept it. Ham and pineapple pizza is foul tasting to me, raisins in curries, when I suddenly bite into one and get a burst of sweetness, it makes me feel physically sick. Same as apple in salads, even though some things in salads such as tomatoes are sweet. Just can't do it.

However, each to their own, I remember Heston Blumenthal set a challenge on Australian Masterchef for each competitor to make a great dish out of one of the following ingredients: Fish, bacon, caviar and a couple of other savory things, with any type of chocolate (white, Dark, Milk). The judges seemed to like the results, but still apart from a little chocolate powder in my chilli, it really isn't for me.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to food and will normally at least try it. I'm not so sure about the bannanas benedict and the jello, but peanut butter can make things pretty interesting. My grandmother used to make peanut butter and onion sandwiches and when I finally got the nerve to try it I actually kind of liked it. I've also tried peanut butter on hamburgers and it was pretty tasty if I do say so myself.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like some people here wouldn't like my ancho chili brownies.

My brother used to make PB&M sandwiches (as in peanut butter and mayo). I've had some crazy combinations of food over the years, but still haven't given that one a shot.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My brother used to make PB&M sandwiches (as in peanut butter and mayo). I've had some crazy combinations of food over the years, but still haven't given that one a shot.
Clearly, when you beat him, you beat him upside the head too much... :p

Latest Discussions