Ouch! (The Sound of a Bruised Ego)

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, as a newbie/beginner to MA, I hope what I am experiencing aint new. I just had a light boxing sparring session and also had a taste of BJJ and other grappling techniques. Although I didnt get any serious injuries, but man do I feel weak.

Not only was I introduced to feeling like a victim during the grappling, but during the sparring session, I realised now how it feels like to be hit. I didn't hit the guy seriously, and just wanted to make contact, but I think my partner was putting in more effort. Although I could hit him quite a number of good clean shots, he also hit me in the face way more than I asked for. Guess it goes to show even if you understand the theory, the techniques and etc, applying it is so different.

Anyway, its a strange feeling overall. Yes, I learnt a lot abt myself, and found the experience enlightening, but also disliked what I saw in myself. Maybe I should take it easy, after all it's my first time (in grappling and sparring), shouldn't have expected me to become a "champion" all of a sudden. And I guess, I did do better than what I would have thought, but still...yeah it's still a uncomfortable feeling.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well,
the first time you ate as a baby your mom or dad has photos of this. did not do well. but you are good at it now yes???
same thing with fighting and martial arts. time will do you right.
always learn from not winning. its not who wins in class its the person who is learning from this. keep pushing on and in time things will work better for you. make sure you are haveing fun and you want to go to class and each step will get beter.
kosho

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sometimes realisation is an uncomfortable feeling, it's a shock to the system to learn something that you thought was otherwise, in any situation. I hated sparring when I first started, it was harder than I thought, but now I've gotten used to it, and know my own limits and abilities, I love it. It's another reason to stretch myself and try things out in a gently competitive environment.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well,
the first time you ate as a baby your mom or dad has photos of this. did not do well. but you are good at it now yes???

Could not have said it better...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is how we learn.

I got nailed last week by my sifu during sparing and all it made me realize was I needed to work on some things and remember a few I forgot.

It is just part of being a martial artist, it comes with the territory

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The burnt hand teaches best about fire.

Or as I prefer it be said,

Getting hit sucks the best way to learn how not to get hit is to stop getting hit. -- Unknown Boxer.

--Infy

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guess it goes to show even if you understand the theory, the techniques and etc, applying it is so different.

This line is the key - if you've already learned this, then you're ahead of quite a few people. Too many people only learn theory, and then don't understand why the world does not respond exactly as the theory says... it's because application varies widely once you leave the learning environment.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as a newbie/beginner to MA, I hope what I am experiencing aint new. I just had a light boxing sparring session and also had a taste of BJJ and other grappling techniques. Although I didnt get any serious injuries, but man do I feel weak.

Not only was I introduced to feeling like a victim during the grappling, but during the sparring session, I realised now how it feels like to be hit. I didn't hit the guy seriously, and just wanted to make contact, but I think my partner was putting in more effort. Although I could hit him quite a number of good clean shots, he also hit me in the face way more than I asked for. Guess it goes to show even if you understand the theory, the techniques and etc, applying it is so different.

Anyway, its a strange feeling overall. Yes, I learnt a lot abt myself, and found the experience enlightening, but also disliked what I saw in myself. Maybe I should take it easy, after all it's my first time (in grappling and sparring), shouldn't have expected me to become a "champion" all of a sudden. And I guess, I did do better than what I would have thought, but still...yeah it's still a uncomfortable feeling.
Get used to it.:ultracool
Sean

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, what Sean said. Really, though, I find that I learn more from nights like that than I do from nights where everything goes great.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Your learning will come in many forms. Sparring and grappling is one of them.

Many people are not use to getting hit....so when they get into a fight on the streets...and someone punch or kick them...they are shock..the realities of a fight! Learning to take a hit is good, but blocking is better.

That strange feeling of being hit....(for most of us ,off course it is different,)....NOT many of us in the beginning find it natural to be hit.

Enjoy the experiences.....ouch! ...ahhhhhh...oops.........Aloha

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't like getting hit nor turned into a pretzel, I have a little bit of a competitive streak in me, so I try to soak up as much as possible and as fast as possible to be better (and not get hit or turned into a pretzel as much!)

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

And to think, we do this because it's fun. :D

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sparring is a humbling experience. You probably did really well for a beginner. Best to learn from the experience and don't let pride get in the way of your progression. Remember - most of us have been there too!

OP
K' Evans

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to sparring, cos I do think that's where a martial artist can test his skills and techniques. What I didn't expect was the dismal performance (to me anyway), and my clumsiness and forgetfulness (e.g. forgot to block my face, forgot to go into a difference stance when close range, etc). When it was over, I thought to myself, "WHat the...? I should have known better than this". But yeah I see what you guys are saying. There's actually a lot to learn in terms of application...

After the sparring experience, I must say I have renewed (as in bigger) admiration for those who compete professionally. Getting hit just to score points is one thing; but to hit someone for real and with an aim of having a KO is another. I still would like to continue sparring, just to see how far I can really take it, and with some minor hope I can get into an ameuteur type of competition.

Do you guys honestly try to hit hard when you spar? Cos all I was doing was trying to make good fast contact, but maybe I was making a fool of myself for not hitting with some strength.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on whaich art you are talking about, but with a beginner I would think that whatever art it is, the main focus is the technique and experience in hitting and getting hit. In our TKD class, we do no contact sparring at first, then when you get gloves and boots, we do light contact sparring. It's only when you get further up the food chain you get full contact.

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys honestly try to hit hard when you spar? Cos all I was doing was trying to make good fast contact, but maybe I was making a fool of myself for not hitting with some strength.

We don't. I know there's something to learn in full contact but ours is more about making only light contact but with good speed. The higher the rank the more you can give them in training but still in our competitions the aim is not to hurt but just to gain "points". We train for impact with padding. Some first-timers get too caught up in it and can really hurt if you don't block or get out of the way. Your teacher should tell you what the aim is - is it more about going through the motions or about a real fight? He might have been the one making a fool of himself for taking it too seriously . You weren't to know - don't worry about it.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

The rule around the dojang when I was training MSK TKD, was

"The lower belt sets the pace."

That is, the lower belt decides on the level of contact.

So yes, some of us WOULD go at just about full contact (without trying to KO each other or splatter each other's noses). Only a handful of people, though. Most folk just aren't interested in getting that rough.

There were times when things would get so rough that a couple stiches were required to sew up splits above the check bone, but only a couple of times.

Unlike a "full contact/going for knockout" we would stop when someone got cut or was visibly stunned rather than "following up" and knocking them completely out.

It's not for everybody, but if you are willing to go through it, you definately feel ready for anything after the experience.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Depends on the purpose of the sparring. Typically, sparring for us is for speed and targeting. Sometimes a strike comes in a little harder than necessary but that happens.

F

foggymorning162

What I didn't expect was the dismal performance (to me anyway), and my clumsiness and forgetfulness (e.g. forgot to block my face, forgot to go into a difference stance when close range, etc).
The more you do it the more it becomes second nature before long you don't forget because your body reacts by reflex.

OP
K' Evans

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just a small update. I just had my second sparring session. It was a spontaneous invitation by one of the seniors. I don't think I made any leaps in improvement, of course, but I was more aware of my stance, posture, etc. My Sifu, however, got a chance to watch me and complimented me quite a bit. Given that this is his first time seeing me spar, he thought I did pretty well and showed signs of improvement.

No doubt, I was appreciative and humbled by his comments. I honestly don't think I deserved such praise, but it's great to hear it so I can keep on going.

Latest Discussions