Ordered a Nissan Leaf yesterday

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At 18 mph, you're travelling about 26 1/2 feet per second. Reaction time is about 1.5 seconds; that means you travel about 40 feet in the time it takes you to react. So... a person doesn't hear the car coming (blind or just distracted), and steps off the curb... while you're 25 feet away... Can you react and stop in time? Most people wouldn't be able to.

That's why they added that noise...
The speed limit in a school zone is 25 mph. Kids are always a threat to jump out in the street. The speed limit at my work is 15 and that's unbearably slow. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just saying that this is likely to save very few lives, IMO.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you understand that the 99 mile on the window is supposed to be under perfect test conditions. 70 F. Under colder and hotter temps the battery is not as efficient. NOTE: All manufacturers will run into this. I just wanted you to know so that on your 50 mile day you are not caught walking. :(
Under extreme conditions, with full climate control at freeway speeds, up and down hills it got over 70 miles. In ideal conditions, 35 mph with no climate control, it got over 130 miles.

I will have to talk to the charger group again, but I know there is discussion on the J1772. Given your quote of 10% per hour I think they might be compliant for the voltage range specified, but for a fast charge the system might be under discussion. I know that the Department of Energy was going to build a bunch of chargers to match the Nissan system when other manufacturers not jsut the one I work for ask the government why? So I will get more details. Thanks
Looking forward to it. :)
Yes your battery will be the most important part and it also will be the most costly and the biggest impact to the environment. The manufacturing and disposal will be key.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prius
http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f33/toyota-prius-bad-environment-12657/

The above to links are for the Nickle Battery in the Prius. Those cells cannot be made in the US, the manufacuring process cannot meet any form of emission regs.

Which is why most are switching to Lithium.

Right now post are still made over seas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

There are some companies, looking to build procesing plants here in the US for the different Lithium Chemistries.
The batteries in the leaf are lithium, and they will be manufactured in north carolina after the factory is built. While they're 'recyclable' I have my doubts about exactly what they mean by that.
Does the Leaf have a 8 year / 150,000 mile warrenty?
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20010600-48.html

I am curious is all. Because I think they do, and would if they qualified for the Hybrid market. But All Electric still falls through many loop holes.
8 year, 100k IIRC.

A nice feature would be for you to be able to supply your own mp3 or wav sounds, Jetsons, F16, X-Winger Fighter, Helicopter, etc. I can imagine my father-in-law googling for various pull my finger noises for such a feature.

I've got problems with how soundproofed cars are today; people don't hear sirens until your on top of them.

But the exterior noise here isn't for cars. It's for pedestrians who may not otherwise realize the car is coming. My personal suggestion is that it should be a CAR noise... After all, it's what people are used to! Give it a Jetson's sound or whatever, and they won't know what it is.
The above is exactly the rationale I heard for not allowing customization of the noise. But it would be cool. :)
I am actually very intersted in the leaf and the volt soon to come and I hope they do what they claim... if they are my next car may just be electric
The Volt is an interesting concept, although targeting longer range customers opens up competition with hybrids and some awesome turbo diesels which can get upwards of 50 mpg in mixed driving (hwy/city) without any batteries, hassle and for much less money. The VW Polo is rated at something like 48 mpg mixed driving. While not sold in America (for whatever reason), it's far cheaper than a Volt or even a Leaf.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oops. Sorry. Correction. The batteries will be manufactured in Smyrna, Tenn.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/13-k...san-leaf-battery-pack-and-ordering-28007.html

Some of the information is obsolete now, but the stuff about the factory is still accurate.

Yes the packs just like the Volt are being built in the US. What I would like to see and it is not your issue, nor something you have not tried to provide, just me asking the cyber space, is where are the Cells made. Usually cells are made and then sent somewhere to make Modules. Some companies make the modules and cells together and then sipp the modules to make the packs. Others ship the cells and they make the modules and pack at or near the same site.

I expect more and more of the Lithium ones to be made within the US.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got problems with how soundproofed cars are today; people don't hear sirens until your on top of them.

But the exterior noise here isn't for cars. It's for pedestrians who may not otherwise realize the car is coming. My personal suggestion is that it should be a CAR noise... After all, it's what people are used to! Give it a Jetson's sound or whatever, and they won't know what it is.

JKS,

You idea is a good one, in my opinion.

1) I could not comment on the actual sound until it is offically released to the press.
(* My program was released to the press in Europe, so I have not violated any issues there for me. *) So please take my silence on that point not as being upset or frustrated.

2) There is already in place a third party company that makes sounds of vehicles. You can "tune" your vehicle to sound like a diesel truck to many of the European Sports Cars.

3) I will make comments to the people I can about those I have communicated with and their preferrence. i.e. your comment about vehicles making vehicle sounds.

Thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rich -- I understand that you're under limits on what you can say, and if my opinion gets through and helps, great. I'd add that maybe some work on more selective range soundproofing (eliminate road noise, etc, but let siren frequencies through better) or a gimmick in the cars with the active sound canceling (I forget which it is) that signals a siren being picked up could be beneficial.

For the comments on speeds -- there are school zones where the limit is 15 mph. And kids are going to run into the road even if you make the cars sound like 747s. The idea, as I'm getting it, is that electric cars are so quiet that people who do know better than jumping off the curb in front of an approaching car might do so simply because they can't hear it coming. No, we can't stupid-proof the world. But we can take steps as things change and develop to work within frameworks that people know.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just another Leaf item to throw out here, it looks like the EPA has come up with some kind of a MPG equivalency (MPGe) based upon the amount of energy in one gallon of gasoline. Essentially, 33.7 kwh = 1 gallon of gas, although it gets complicated when multiple energy sources are brought into play, such as with a Volt or other "plug-in" hybrids.

Leaf is rated at 99 MPGe.

The Volt has a small battery and will take you between 25 and 50 miles on a charge. In this mode, it's rated at 93 MPGe. In combined driving mode it's rated at 60 MPGe. Once the power's gone and you're running off the generator, you'll get 37 MPGe.

The way I looked at it when I was deciding whether to take the plunge or not was basically like this: I get 22 mpg in my mazda and that's conservatively about 2 gallons per day at over $3.00 per gallon the way I currently drive. So, rounding it down, I spend about $6.00 per day or $42/week on gasoline. If I plug in nightly and use, lets say 20 kw/h per day (which based on what I've read is realistic), that's about $2/day or $14 per week at current prices.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/nissan-leaf-snags-99-mpg-rating-on-official-epa-sticker/

http://www.automobile.com/epa-releases-mpg-ratings-for-chevrolet-volt.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

Last edited:
OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's an opposition piece. I have some comments, but I'd really like to hear what you guys think, first.

EDITORIAL: Nissan's 99 MPG smugmobile

State and federal governments somehow think the electric boondoggle is worth supporting with your money, while at the same time claiming that no funding is available to expand existing freeways to reduce congestion. Instead of subsidizing left-wing radicals, it's time for politicians to concentrate on the roads that serve all Americans.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/27/nissans-99-mpg-smugmobile/

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich -- I understand that you're under limits on what you can say, and if my opinion gets through and helps, great. I'd add that maybe some work on more selective range soundproofing (eliminate road noise, etc, but let siren frequencies through better) or a gimmick in the cars with the active sound canceling (I forget which it is) that signals a siren being picked up could be beneficial.

For the comments on speeds -- there are school zones where the limit is 15 mph. And kids are going to run into the road even if you make the cars sound like 747s. The idea, as I'm getting it, is that electric cars are so quiet that people who do know better than jumping off the curb in front of an approaching car might do so simply because they can't hear it coming. No, we can't stupid-proof the world. But we can take steps as things change and develop to work within frameworks that people know.

Active noise cancellation is something I do not work on, but the Noise and vibe guys are in some of the same meetings so I will drop a comment or two.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve,

I know I posted this in a couple fo palces but wanted to make sure you were able to read some articles and get some feedback from other Nissan Leaf Owners.

best wishes.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5780215/nissan-electric-car-stranding-owners

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/

Rich, as I said in another thread, I'm a member of mynissanleaf.com and read the articles posted with interest. I think it's extremely important for people to understand what they're buying and what they aren't. I've said many times that an EV just isn't practical for many people. But for those who can benefit, it's going to be great.

This is, of course, AFTER the bugs are worked out. I'm typically not an intrepid early adopter, and I've committed to this only after extensive research into the pros and cons.

I'll be very frank and honest about how things go after I purchase the car, if anyone's interested. I obviously have high hopes, but I'm not an Apple owner, blinded by love for the brand. I'll be honest if something doesn't work. :)

Latest Discussions