Ordered a Nissan Leaf yesterday

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I'm one step closer. I ordered a Nissan Leaf yesterday. Dealer quoted me $100 over MSRP. So, between a free in-home charger, $7500 tax credit, no WA sales tax and pretty cheap energy prices, I'm pretty happy.

Looks like I might actually get to drive a 100% electric vehicle by next Spring.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Something just occurred to me, and I'm curious to hear your opinions. People form impressions of you based on the car you drive. For example, middle aged guy in a Porsche? Mid-life crisis. Dude in a Miata? Gay guy who likes to drive fun cars. Guy in a VW Bus? Serial killer or hippy (could be either. :) ) This is from an article I read where a guy was testing a Leaf for an article. He mentioned in the article that he was flipped off by a guy in a 4x4.

Point is, the car we drive sends a message. Of course, that message depends on who you are. So, with that, what message do you think a Nissan Leaf (or Chevy Volt/Focus EV) says about the person who drives it? Are you guys interested in alternative fuels? Electric vehicles? Would you purchase one if you had the opportunity? If not, what would it take to change your mind?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh you don't wanna ask me what I think of you in regards to your electric car.

Pink-Electric-Car.jpg

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd drive it. Then again, I drive a Prius and my wife drives a Highlander hybrid. :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me remind you, your car's name will be "Leaf." Think about that for a while.

Mustang, Cougar, Diablo, Corvette, Viper, Cobra, Blazer, Bronco, Concord, Firebird ... Leaf. See what I'm getting at here?

These are facts.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm one step closer. I ordered a Nissan Leaf yesterday. Dealer quoted me $100 over MSRP. So, between a free in-home charger, $7500 tax credit, no WA sales tax and pretty cheap energy prices, I'm pretty happy.

Looks like I might actually get to drive a 100% electric vehicle by next Spring.

Something just occurred to me, and I'm curious to hear your opinions. People form impressions of you based on the car you drive. For example, middle aged guy in a Porsche? Mid-life crisis. Dude in a Miata? Gay guy who likes to drive fun cars. Guy in a VW Bus? Serial killer or hippy (could be either. :) ) This is from an article I read where a guy was testing a Leaf for an article. He mentioned in the article that he was flipped off by a guy in a 4x4.

Point is, the car we drive sends a message. Of course, that message depends on who you are. So, with that, what message do you think a Nissan Leaf (or Chevy Volt/Focus EV) says about the person who drives it? Are you guys interested in alternative fuels? Electric vehicles? Would you purchase one if you had the opportunity? If not, what would it take to change your mind?

Steve,

What is your daily commute?

The $7,500 charger, is it a 120 Volt or 240 Volt charging system?

Did you know that the Nissan Leaf uses a proprietary charging system?
And that SAE and others standards groups are working on designing one. A real good chance it will not be the Nissan Leaf version. If you had to buy an adaptor to use at other charge stations would that upset you?

What is the energy source for your local electricity?
If it is more Coal (* most likely in the US *) then you could be a worse for emissions, but it just would not be tail pipe.

Did you lease or buy?

Yes I have a personal motive. I work for GM, the group/team I work for/with did the controls for the powertrain. My next program is a battery electric vehicle (BEV), not the Extended Range Electric Vehicle (Volt - EREV). I have most of the info from the Nissan websites. I am curious about your comments as a customer.

Thanks

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve,

What is your daily commute?
10 miles door to door. Plus 10 to the BJJ school. So, 40 miles on training days. Add 10 or so for grocery shopping etc.
The $7,500 charger, is it a 120 Volt or 240 Volt charging system?
Well, first, the estimates I heard were $2000 to $3000, and there's a tax credit involved with the installation (although since mine's gratis, I didn't find out how much).

Second, 240 volt, 40 amp. I should be able to charge the car about 10 percent per hour.
Did you know that the Nissan Leaf uses a proprietary charging system?
And that SAE and others standards groups are working on designing one. A real good chance it will not be the Nissan Leaf version. If you had to buy an adaptor to use at other charge stations would that upset you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

One of the big things I was looking for. The Leaf version is the SAE standard and will be used in all North American charging stations and, I believe, all of the chargeable cars, too. Volt, Focus EV, Prius plug in, etc.
What is the energy source for your local electricity?
If it is more Coal (* most likely in the US *) then you could be a worse for emissions, but it just would not be tail pipe.
It's a mix: coal, wind, hydro and biomass. There's no perfect solution. I voluntarily pay about $10 more per month to opt into PSE's green power program.

ultimately, to run the car i'm looking at about 6 or 8 kwh per night with no gasoline, no carbon emissions while driving, no oil changes ever, and no transmission fluid. There's no way that's going to be worse for emissions. Particularly since electricity usage varies so greatly house to house. The way I see it, my house is so friggin efficient, I can afford to let go a little. :)

The battery is a much larger concern to me than the power source, and that's something that will definitely need to be addressed.

Did you lease or buy?
I'm going to buy. I was concerned for a while because there was talk about buying the car, but being made to lease the battery. Turns out, the government was concerned too and equated that to selling a new car without a powertrain.
Yes I have a personal motive. I work for GM, the group/team I work for/with did the controls for the powertrain. My next program is a battery electric vehicle (BEV), not the Extended Range Electric Vehicle (Volt - EREV). I have most of the info from the Nissan websites. I am curious about your comments as a customer.
Awesome. I'd be happy to go through what I know with you. :)

Thanks[/quote]

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Let me remind you, your car's name will be "Leaf." Think about that for a while.

Mustang, Cougar, Diablo, Corvette, Viper, Cobra, Blazer, Bronco, Concord, Firebird ... Leaf. See what I'm getting at here?

These are facts.
At least they didn't call it something so feminine i'd never be able to drive it... like the BumbleBee. Oh man... that wouldn't work at all. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have always referred to electric cars as the car of the assassin.... because they can't hear you coming :EG:… never mess with a person that drives and electric car :uhyeah:

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have always referred to electric cars as the car of the assassin.... because they can't hear you coming :EG:… never mess with a person that drives and electric car :uhyeah:
:) There's actually a very mild noise added to the car up to 18 mph so that people who are blind can hear it coming. I think they should have made it sound like a Jetson's car, but whatever.

Personally, if you're driving under 18 mph and can't avoid a blind person, you need to have your own vision checked.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:) There's actually a very mild noise added to the car up to 18 mph so that people who are blind can hear it coming. I think they should have made it sound like a Jetson's car, but whatever.

Personally, if you're driving under 18 mph and can't avoid a blind person, you need to have your own vision checked.
and then there are these kind of people
;)

My grandfather can't hear my prius. Then again, he says "huh?" alot too.

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

At 18 mph, you're travelling about 26 1/2 feet per second. Reaction time is about 1.5 seconds; that means you travel about 40 feet in the time it takes you to react. So... a person doesn't hear the car coming (blind or just distracted), and steps off the curb... while you're 25 feet away... Can you react and stop in time? Most people wouldn't be able to.

That's why they added that noise...

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
10 miles door to door. Plus 10 to the BJJ school. So, 40 miles on training days. Add 10 or so for grocery shopping etc.Well, first, the estimates I heard were $2000 to $3000, and there's a tax credit involved with the installation (although since mine's gratis, I didn't find out how much).

Second, 240 volt, 40 amp. I should be able to charge the car about 10 percent per hour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

One of the big things I was looking for. The Leaf version is the SAE standard and will be used in all North American charging stations and, I believe, all of the chargeable cars, too. Volt, Focus EV, Prius plug in, etc.
It's a mix: coal, wind, hydro and biomass. There's no perfect solution. I voluntarily pay about $10 more per month to opt into PSE's green power program.

ultimately, to run the car i'm looking at about 6 or 8 kwh per night with no gasoline, no carbon emissions while driving, no oil changes ever, and no transmission fluid. There's no way that's going to be worse for emissions. Particularly since electricity usage varies so greatly house to house. The way I see it, my house is so friggin efficient, I can afford to let go a little. :)

The battery is a much larger concern to me than the power source, and that's something that will definitely need to be addressed.

I'm going to buy. I was concerned for a while because there was talk about buying the car, but being made to lease the battery. Turns out, the government was concerned too and equated that to selling a new car without a powertrain.
Awesome. I'd be happy to go through what I know with you. :)

Thanks

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you understand that the 99 mile on the window is supposed to be under perfect test conditions. 70 F. Under colder and hotter temps the battery is not as efficient. NOTE: All manufacturers will run into this. I just wanted you to know so that on your 50 mile day you are not caught walking. :(

I will have to talk to the charger group again, but I know there is discussion on the J1772. Given your quote of 10% per hour I think they might be compliant for the voltage range specified, but for a fast charge the system might be under discussion. I know that the Department of Energy was going to build a bunch of chargers to match the Nissan system when other manufacturers not jsut the one I work for ask the government why? So I will get more details. Thanks

Yes your battery will be the most important part and it also will be the most costly and the biggest impact to the environment. The manufacturing and disposal will be key.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prius
http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f33/toyota-prius-bad-environment-12657/

The above to links are for the Nickle Battery in the Prius. Those cells cannot be made in the US, the manufacuring process cannot meet any form of emission regs.

Which is why most are switching to Lithium.

Right now post are still made over seas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt
Reuters reported in October, 2008 that GM had decided to work exclusively with Compact Power Incorporated (CPI), a Detroit-based unit of South Korea’s LG Chem, to develop the battery systems for the first production version of the Volt.[58][59][60][61] The cells will be produced in Korea and subsequently shipped to the United States, where the battery packs will be assembled at a purpose-built facility in Brownstown Township, Michigan owned and operated by GM.[62]

There are some companies, looking to build procesing plants here in the US for the different Lithium Chemistries.

Does the Leaf have a 8 year / 150,000 mile warrenty?
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20010600-48.html

I am curious is all. Because I think they do, and would if they qualified for the Hybrid market. But All Electric still falls through many loop holes.

I will have to wat until I can talk to some more people next week at work.

Thanks

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A nice feature would be for you to be able to supply your own mp3 or wav sounds, Jetsons, F16, X-Winger Fighter, Helicopter, etc. I can imagine my father-in-law googling for various pull my finger noises for such a feature.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

and then there are these kind of people
;)

My grandfather can't hear my prius. Then again, he says "huh?" alot too.

At 18 mph, you're travelling about 26 1/2 feet per second. Reaction time is about 1.5 seconds; that means you travel about 40 feet in the time it takes you to react. So... a person doesn't hear the car coming (blind or just distracted), and steps off the curb... while you're 25 feet away... Can you react and stop in time? Most people wouldn't be able to.

That's why they added that noise...

Yes there is discussion on the regulations to make it required. I know that the manufacturers are looking into a standard and also looking into what should be used.

As to the Jetsons space car sound, I have that in one of my early presentations as the sound we should use. ;) I know with royalties per usage and such would make it not reasonable.

I agree that vehicles are silent and you need to hear them. But there are people in cars today that cannot hear the pipes on my Harley until I am past them. Noise, doppler effect as a noise approaches and then passes you it changes in frequency. Manufacturers spend lots fo money to make cars quiet inside and out, as the market wants this. Now they will spend mroe money to design and make a system to make noise on purpose for safety.

I do not argue the reason for safety, nor do I think it is a bad idea.

I just want people to look at the cost of an early 90's car to 2000 and see the changes in content and safety (* many of which people may not know or want or care about, but are there because of market or government regs *) Realize that new tech might give a slight cost increase for said new tech, but over a short few years the cost of the vehicle is back close to the older price. Also add in Inflation and gets even closer or the car becomes cheaper with more stuff in the old dollars prices. Which does nothing for the payment of today. ;)

The Hybrid Electric costs will take more time in my opinion to shake out the market and lower back. Scales of volume as well as always having new tech. The tech and chemistry is moving faster than a development and validation program for a vehicle. This means more change quicker and less settling into a single design.

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that vehicles are silent and you need to hear them. But there are people in cars today that cannot hear the pipes on my Harley until I am past them. Noise, doppler effect as a noise approaches and then passes you it changes in frequency. Manufacturers spend lots fo money to make cars quiet inside and out, as the market wants this. Now they will spend mroe money to design and make a system to make noise on purpose for safety.

I do not argue the reason for safety, nor do I think it is a bad idea.

I've got problems with how soundproofed cars are today; people don't hear sirens until your on top of them.

But the exterior noise here isn't for cars. It's for pedestrians who may not otherwise realize the car is coming. My personal suggestion is that it should be a CAR noise... After all, it's what people are used to! Give it a Jetson's sound or whatever, and they won't know what it is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I am actually very intersted in the leaf and the volt soon to come and I hope they do what they claim... if they are my next car may just be electric

Latest Discussions