Opinions please...

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well my gym is right next to this place so I stopped by again today. What he told me was that the system is based off of the 5 animals but its mostly tiger and snake...I think that's what he said. Also the wing chun is not called wing chun but its almost the exact same thing and its part of the same kung fu he teaches.

Here is a quote I think that might make it more clear.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
his system consists of both internal and external principles and is one of the most famous gung (kung) fu system in China. Because of great Hung Kuen Masters like Wong Kei Ying (one of the Ten Tigers of Canton, 10 of the best masters in China) and his son Wong Fei Hung (the most famous folk hero in China), the Hung system is highly respected. Hung Ga's Snake & Crane are also considered the mother systems of Wing Chun Kuen

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
his system consists of both internal and external principles and is one of the most famous gung (kung) fu system in China. Because of great Hung Kuen Masters like Wong Kei Ying (one of the Ten Tigers of Canton, 10 of the best masters in China) and his son Wong Fei Hung (the most famous folk hero in China), the Hung system is highly respected. Hung Ga's Snake & Crane are also considered the mother systems of Wing Chun Kuen

hmm...Hung Gar is really famous for Tiger and Crane, I've never really heard much of anything about Snake in connection with it. I've heard that Fukien White Crane method is, or may be, the mother system of Wing Chun. Even perusing examples of that system on Youtube, you can see at least some superficial similarities between the two (just make sure you are looking at Fukien White Crane, and not Tibetan White Crane - completely different systems with a similar name).

It's true that Hung Gar is a famous system here in the US, and it is respected when done by a skilled person. But that's pretty much the same for any system.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well my gym is right next to this place so I stopped by again today. What he told me was that the system is based off of the 5 animals but its mostly tiger and snake...I think that's what he said. Also the wing chun is not called wing chun but its almost the exact same thing and its part of the same kung fu he teaches.

Here is a quote I think that might make it more clear.

You forgot the quote?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.wangsmartialarts.com/Html/instructor.htm

Here is the only other option for kung fu that I see. Doesn't say much other than its northern kung fu.

hmmm, I couldn't even find where it said it's Northern kung fu.

A little strange. They are wearing actual karate belts on their "Chinese" style uniforms. People can do whatever they want, but it's a bit odd.

His Weapons Training page says they do "Bo" and "nunchaku", which really suggests Okinawan kobudo. That's an odd combination with Chinese martial arts. Of course Staff methods exist within Chinese martial arts, but to call it "Bo" suggests Okinawan. At any rate, it kinda suggests that this stuff is just filler material, included because people think it's cool and want "weapons training". But the context is all wrong and perhaps his students are ignorant of that fact? It kinda reminds me of all the junky katana that are sold here in San Francisco's Chinatown. it's meant for tourists who don't know the difference and lack the education to understand that a Katana is Japanese, but they are sold as souvenirs all over Chinatown. Kinda odd, when you think about it.

If a genuine kung fu school is going to include weapons training, then it's usually gonna be the traditional Chinese weaponry: staff, spear, sword, saber (dao), butterfly swords, three-sectional staff, guan do (big knife on a staff), chain whip, etc. The fact that he is listing a couple of Okinawan kobudo weapons, and NOT Chinese weaponry makes me think the weapons training is really superficial and not up to snuff. That makes me have doubts about the entire program.

Go check it out, but it's just striking me as a bit odd.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You forgot the quote?

My next post was the quote...was posting from my phone and it was not cooperating. :)

"his system consists of both internal and external principles and is one of the most famous gung (kung) fu system in China. Because of great Hung Kuen Masters like Wong Kei Ying (one of the Ten Tigers of Canton, 10 of the best masters in China) and his son Wong Fei Hung (the most famous folk hero in China), the Hung system is highly respected. Hung Ga's Snake & Crane are also considered the mother systems of Wing Chun Kuen"

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmm...Hung Gar is really famous for Tiger and Crane, I've never really heard much of anything about Snake in connection with it. I've heard that Fukien White Crane method is, or may be, the mother system of Wing Chun. Even perusing examples of that system on Youtube, you can see at least some superficial similarities between the two (just make sure you are looking at Fukien White Crane, and not Tibetan White Crane - completely different systems with a similar name).

It's true that Hung Gar is a famous system here in the US, and it is respected when done by a skilled person. But that's pretty much the same for any system.

Let me correct myself, yes it was tiger and crane, not snake. :) My bad.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm, I couldn't even find where it said it's Northern kung fu.

A little strange. They are wearing actual karate belts on their "Chinese" style uniforms. People can do whatever they want, but it's a bit odd.

His Weapons Training page says they do "Bo" and "nunchaku", which really suggests Okinawan kobudo. That's an odd combination with Chinese martial arts. Of course Staff methods exist within Chinese martial arts, but to call it "Bo" suggests Okinawan. At any rate, it kinda suggests that this stuff is just filler material, included because people think it's cool and want "weapons training". But the context is all wrong and perhaps his students are ignorant of that fact? It kinda reminds me of all the junky katana that are sold here in San Francisco's Chinatown. it's meant for tourists who don't know the difference and lack the education to understand that a Katana is Japanese, but they are sold as souvenirs all over Chinatown. Kinda odd, when you think about it.

If a genuine kung fu school is going to include weapons training, then it's usually gonna be the traditional Chinese weaponry: staff, spear, sword, saber (dao), butterfly swords, three-sectional staff, guan do (big knife on a staff), chain whip, etc. The fact that he is listing a couple of Okinawan kobudo weapons, and NOT Chinese weaponry makes me think the weapons training is really superficial and not up to snuff. That makes me have doubts about the entire program.

Go check it out, but it's just striking me as a bit odd.

I wrote the school off for the most part. Too little info on the site...something just seemed a bit off. :)

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Watched the taiji videos and I wil ladmit I have seen worse calling themselves teachers/masters/grand masters/sifu

but.....

The Six Harmonies

External Harmonies
1) The hands harmonize with the feet.
2) The hips harmonize with the shoulders.
3) The elbows harmonize with the knees.

Internal Harmonies
1) The heart harmonizes with the intention.
2) The intention harmonizes with the Chi.
3) The Chi harmonizes with the movement

1. Coordination of the External Harmonies
  2. Interior and Exterior are United
  3. Coordination of the Internal Harmonies

He is not thinking about the 6 harmonies

After watching his videos, he's not bad at all but I very much agree with Xue here. Also, he seems to have no concern for his knees whatsoever in his form, and his Taiji applications look pretty much identical to his Siu Lum applications, if his Taiji skill was really that good it would not, there would be much more fluidity and a lot less effort.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just foundhttp://www.kungfuschool.com/academy.html

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me... in a word... no. Personal opinion only. I'll leave anything else to speak for itself on Youtube.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
lol....thanks.

I had just watched a video right before I saw your post.....looks like another "Great Grandmaster Villari".

Latest Discussions