considering Kung Fu....cool video attached

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I really enjoyed this short video of a speed test between a snake and a young woman using a snake style kung fu.

Really got me to thinking about Kung Fu and the stigma it carries in regards to "real" or lack of real combat. It's been called nothing but a dance and completly unrealistic. After looking at a bunch of videos on youtube I see kung fu is pretty damn brutal and though it might look really fluent and dance like it seems to me that it could be devistating to an opponent.

Really considering training in Kung Fu now.

Last edited by a moderator:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen that video. Personal opinion is it's crap.

These are examples of "kung fu" put to it...

This is San Da. This is the "fighting" aspect of CMA's if you will, in an organized fashion. This is where you find out if what you do works or no.

This is Chen Taiji.

[video=youtube_share;oNoDu68D1rg]http://youtu.be/oNoDu68D1rg[/video]

Baji...

[video=youtube_share;IP9M9zO-nJg]http://youtu.be/IP9M9zO-nJg[/video]

TCMA tied directly in San Da

[video=youtube_share;5TuDitywcmk]http://youtu.be/5TuDitywcmk[/video]

Make sure you take your time & find the right school & the right teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can't say I agree 100%. You seen many fights on the street that look like those?

Chances are the guy you're getting into it with won't be some trained MMA fighter. Not to mention these guys are in a controled situation not fighting for their lives. They are not looking to break a bone, take a crotch shot or take someones eye out. Most of these kinds of fights turn into some kind of kick boxing bjj sport. Its just not the same thing. Not that they are not good fighters just that there are limits and rules here..as well as gloves and a padded floor.

Just my opinion...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't say I agree 100%. You seen many fights on the street that look like those?

Chances are the guy you're getting into it with won't be some trained MMA fighter. Not to mention these guys are in a controled situation not fighting for their lives. They are not looking to break a bone, take a crotch shot or take someones eye out. Most of these kinds of fights turn into some kind of kick boxing bjj sport. Its just not the same thing. Not that they are not good fighters just that there are limits and rules here..as well as gloves and a padded floor.

Just my opinion...

Neither will a poke to the eyes trying to be a snake.

The San da clips were to illustrate the ugliness of fighting with CMAs. Not the Shaw Brothers type of stuff. When apply what you have learned, it changes. It doesn't look good per se. Besides that in my experience, one of the major ideas behind CMAs is to put somebody on the ground... hard... with finality in mind.

Don't confuse what looks cool & nice with how it really works or what it looks like when it works.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Neither will a poke to the eyes trying to be a snake.

The San da clips were to illustrate the ugliness of fighting with CMAs. Not the Shaw Brothers type of stuff. When apply what you have learned, it changes. It doesn't look good per se. Besides that in my experience, one of the major ideas behind CMAs is to put somebody on the ground... hard... with finality in mind.

Don't confuse what looks cool & nice with how it really works or what it looks like when it works.

I must have done a poor job of making my original point....posting from a cell phone can sometimes be a pain in the butt.

Anyway, I believe we are saying the same thing. What I was originally saying or trying to say anyway, was that while Kung Fu looked pretty (movies/forms/whatever) it has a very real application to it as well. That in combat reality it's not pretty but a nasty art in a lot of way. Nasty being brutal and what some might call cheap. But like I said when it's about survival anything goes.

I understand your point but believe me I know the difference between what looks cool and what works or the reality of it all. The reason I liked that video I posted was because it showed speed and that she went right for the eye. IF you could strike someone in the eye that quickly at the beginning of a fight it could at the very least cause a good bit of tearing and would probably hamper is abilities. That had nothing at all to do with how it looked but more about how I thought it could effect your opponent in real life.

I watched a lot of other videos as well that showed the ideas behind the movements. They seemed pretty combat oriented to me and not about looking cool.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First Kung Fu is a generic term (although it is a bad translation) meaning Chinese Martial Arts, the proper word is Wushu and the proper translation of Kung Fu is "hard work" not martial arts

Here is a partial list of Chinese Marital Arts

Second it is not every pretty in a fight and if you train things like Baji (one of the videos clfsean posted) it is hard and painful training, it is rarely pretty but it is damn effective.

I trained a lot of Xingyiquan, also not pretty and the training is hard. painful and boring but if you do it right you will be able to move very fast and hit like a truck.

There is a groin punch in the Yang Taijiquan long form as well as qinna and the breaking of bones (think elbow). Xingyiquan in one of the applications of Piquan will break a neck.

This stuff is trained properly and done correctly is not pretty and can be damn dangerous. However most of what is seen is the modern wushu stuff which is pretty to watch, requires a lot of athletic ability and stamina but has very little real world applications as a matter of fact many who train modern wushu also train sanshou so they can actually fight.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First Kung Fu is a generic term (although it is a bad translation) meaning Chinese Martial Arts, the proper word is Wushu and the proper translation of Kung Fu is "hard work" not martial arts

Here is a partial list of Chinese Marital Arts

Second it is not every pretty in a fight and if you train things like Baji (one of the videos clfsean posted) it is hard and painful training, it is rarely pretty but it is damn effective.

I trained a lot of Xingyiquan, also not pretty and the training is hard. painful and boring but if you do it right you will be able to move very fast and hit like a truck.

There is a groin punch in the Yang Taijiquan long form as well as qinna and the breaking of bones (think elbow). Xingyiquan in one of the applications of Piquan will break a neck.

This stuff is trained properly and done correctly is not pretty and can be damn dangerous. However most of what is seen is the modern wushu stuff which is pretty to watch, requires a lot of athletic ability and stamina but has very little real world applications as a matter of fact many who train modern wushu also train sanshou so they can actually fight.

There is a Wushu place close to me, but I had heard that the modern Wushu held very little real combat application so I never considered it an option. I guess athletic ability, flexibility and stamina are good but it didn't sound like what I was looking for.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Striking to the eyes is not only Wushu. It is in all RB Martial Arts as the eye is a legitimate target either as a temporary disabling strike or as a distraction that elicits a flinch response. It is similar to the jab in boxing, a strike in its own right or a feint.

By all means consider Kung Fu but as clfsean said, look at it for the right reasons. The lady in the video was a Wushu champion. That is sport based form and most times when competition is involved in the martial arts, flashy techniques become the norm to impress the judges.
:asian:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a Wushu place close to me, but I had heard that the modern Wushu held very little real combat application so I never considered it an option. I guess athletic ability, flexibility and stamina are good but it didn't sound like what I was looking for.

Website? Any info?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't feel good about this one. No info on who the teachers are, what their backgrounds are, specifically what methods they are teaching, what their lineage is, whom they studied under, etc. That's all pretty basic info and ought to be included on a website that's meant to attract students.

The Taiji section mentions that they teach "all" of the major family methods of taiji. I can pretty much guarantee that none of them will be any good, if that's true. It's just not feasible to try and train and teach all taiji methods. Each method is a system of its own and requires serious training. Trying to do them all is just too much and won't get you anywhere.

There's no real info on specifically what traditional method of kung fu they are teaching. nothing.

There's just a lot of very generic info and nothing specific in this website. If it was me looking for a school, I'd skip this one. Well, I might stop by and observe a class but my gut would be telling me this isn't going to end well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sent my buddy in Houston a message. I'll get back to you when he gets back to me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many years ago, I met a snake style guy. A Kung Fu magazine writer had interview on him. When he told the Kung Fu magazine writer that the snake style has 120 forms, I lost my confidence on him.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't feel good about this one. No info on who the teachers are, what their backgrounds are, specifically what methods they are teaching, what their lineage is, whom they studied under, etc. That's all pretty basic info and ought to be included on a website that's meant to attract students.

The Taiji section mentions that they teach "all" of the major family methods of taiji. I can pretty much guarantee that none of them will be any good, if that's true. It's just not feasible to try and train and teach all taiji methods. Each method is a system of its own and requires serious training. Trying to do them all is just too much and won't get you anywhere.

There's no real info on specifically what traditional method of kung fu they are teaching. nothing.

There's just a lot of very generic info and nothing specific in this website. If it was me looking for a school, I'd skip this one. Well, I might stop by and observe a class but my gut would be telling me this isn't going to end well.

Yeah pretty much wrote this off a while back. Lack of info and negativity towards Wushu as a combat art turned me away from this one.

colemcm

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd recommend that you avoid getting hung up on the idea of training a specific style of MA. Find a teacher who is competent, qualified, and that you trust. That's a lot more important than style, in my opinion.

Also, keep your ears open; not all teachers advertise in the yellow pages.

OP
C

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd recommend that you avoid getting hung up on the idea of training a specific style of MA. Find a teacher who is competent, qualified, and that you trust. That's a lot more important than style, in my opinion.

Also, keep your ears open; not all teachers advertise in the yellow pages.

I agree but as far as CMA I have few options. Just from what I have seen this far my best option is http://www.cranewing.com/chrisscott.html

Latest Discussions